Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 07:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

On1 Photo RAW 2018

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 12, 2017 17:24 |  #61

It's normal practice in Software to do yearly or 18mo release cycles.
Unless you have a subscription plan like Adobe, then those new releases cost money so the company can continue development. All point releases are free and included in the version you buy but full releases are not. It's also common to offer upgrade discounts for the new version if you are a current customer and onOne has normally followed this practice.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links
eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Oct 12, 2017 17:45 as a reply to DagoImaging's post |  #62

That’s fine, if the previous edition was finished. More features, that were supposed to be added, never materialized.

D-Jordi
Joined Mar 2008
Barcelona. Spain
Oct 13, 2017 01:05 |  #63

eddieb1 wrote in post #18471393 (external link)
That’s fine, if the previous edition was finished. More features, that were supposed to be added, never materialized.

What he said...

Cameras: EOS M & M3 --- Lenses: 22mm EF-M, 18-55mm EF-M, FD 50mm f/1.4, EF-S 55-250mm IS II, Sigma 600mm f/8
Disclaimer:The fact that I'm slightly color blind with a crappy monitor and have little or no clue about PP doesn't prevent me from enjoying holding a camera - it just makes it harder to make my photos look normal to you...

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
Joined Sep 2008
Dorset - England
Oct 13, 2017 03:21 |  #64

eddieb1 wrote in post #18471393 (external link)

Agree. The 2017 version was never actually a finished product IMO and certainly did not live up to the hype that was originally published about how it was going to be a LR 'killer'.
I personally think it should be a free upgrade for anyone who paid for it and unwittingly became a beta tester for a product that was not ready on the published release date.

Kev

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 13, 2017 06:38 |  #65

NinetyEight wrote in post #18471674 (external link)
Agree. The 2017 version was never actually a finished product IMO and certainly did not live up to the hype that was originally published about how it was going to be a LR 'killer'.
I personally think it should be a free upgrade for anyone who paid for it and unwittingly became a beta tester for a product that was not ready on the published release date.

I wonder what the chances of suing for breach of implied contract would have for the failure to incorporate the missing promised features would have. Especially if it were to be possible to threaten it as a class action suite. I would think that on it's own might be enough bad publicity to prompt them to do the right thing by customers and give all 2017 owners a free upgrade, at least until they have hit all the promised features they were touting at launch.

After all if you say to people buy our product because it has/will have X,Y, and Z, they have a right to expect that you will deliver X, Y, and Z in the product. A 12 month major release product cycle for commercial software seems really short to me, even Adobe gave us quite a bit longer than that in general between releases, back before CC took over.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Oct 13, 2017 07:37 |  #66

I work for a LARGE software company and am in Product Engineering for said company. Our development cycle is a planned 12mo for major releases although reality of development usually extends to 14-16mo. We are a licensed based software w/ license fees, therefore our customers get the next version as long as they keep their license current (like adobe).

We promote many new features for each release, sometimes they happen, sometimes they get pushed to the next release due to unforeseen issues/stability/or cost of development in the allotted time. Many factors go in to what actually makes a release.

I agree onOne was very misleading on what would be delivered in 2017...i bought in and hated it and therefore I have walked away. I don't want the next version...they want to be the next LR but LR already works and is improving so to me, onOne will always be playing catch up. Vote with your money and use what already works.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

jc1350
138 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Maryland
17 hours ago |  #67

Beta 2 has been released. You can get the link from the on1.com homepage.

Release notes: https://on1help.zendes​k.com ...018-Beta-2-Release-Notes- (external link)

--
John

frozenframe
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Kansas, USA
44 min. ago |  #68

I don't think I'll be continuing with On1. I downloaded the first beta, played around a little with it, and was not overly impressed over 2017. Then seeing the Beta2 already, and not much different from the Beta1, I see they're doing the same they done when they released 2017. They will continue to spoon-feed little bits for the entire year, then we will be forced to get the next version for things they kept promising for 2018. They just keep coughing up excuses for not providing them.

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links

3,806 views & 17 likes for this thread
On1 Photo RAW 2018
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.