Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 15:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Fill amount and P mode

Vitoflo
241 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Venice Italy
Oct 03, 2017 15:07 |  #1

Hello,

I would like to try flash for portrait in the street with sun as back light and flash as fill/main light. Camera is Canon 1DS2 with the FEC button handy. I understand P mode will make my life a lot easier with flash as well keeping the correct sync value. Yet, I due to the high EV the flash will serve as a fill. I wonder what the built in amount of this fill is when FEC is at zero: -1 EV? more or less?

Thanks

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,521 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 03, 2017 17:25 |  #2

1dsmk2 has P mode? Anyways I will use camera in manual mode so you control ambient and then use FEC for flash in eTTL mode. How much flash you want, you decide with FEC.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 03, 2017 17:34 |  #3

“P”rofessional mode. :-)

I’m always at aperture priority or total manual.

You’ll have to adjust for taste. Camera won’t read your mind yet.

Depending on the fash and sync capabilities you’ll be able to go from an even fill flash to darker blue skies to total darkness of your background. A large aperture will blur your background to taste too.

“Professional” mode takes the fun and control out of it. Try combos until you’re happy with the results.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

Vitoflo
THREAD ­ STARTER
241 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Venice Italy
Oct 03, 2017 19:38 |  #4

I'd rather keep it simple and focus less on the exposure. I'll try with +1 FEC in P mode just to see..

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,521 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 03, 2017 20:41 |  #5

Vitoflo wrote in post #18465537 (external link)
I'd rather keep it simple and focus less on the exposure. I'll try with +1 FEC in P mode just to see..

Well your choice but remember camera is not that smart and more so when combining ambient and flash. :) Best way is one choose ambient using manual exposure and then use flash in eTTL mode. Not sure why using camera in manual exposure is hard. You choose what aperture you want. Since outside, your ISO is mostly lowest value like ISO100. Shutter will control how much ambient you like. Then leave flash in eTLL mode, start at FEC=0 and go up/down from there.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,262 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 03, 2017 23:39 |  #6

It seems to me that P mode is a 'snapshooter' mode...it either has enough light to take a shot with 100% ambient, or it is shifting itself to X-sync speed and using eTTL flash as primary source of light for the photo. Any 'fill' is purely as a seredipitous combination of circumstances...not by-design. (Hmmm, maybe the comment does not apply to an external flash unit.)

Shooting with Av mode, and eTTL flash turned on with FEC < 0 will output some flash less intensity than ambient) but ambient light is the primary source of light...the flash fills in shadows where the sun does not fall.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Vitoflo
THREAD ­ STARTER
241 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Venice Italy
Oct 04, 2017 10:44 |  #7

I will try P mode and +1 FEC just to see if the 1ds2 still has a good eye..

Oksana ­ Gereaue
Mostly Lurking
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 04, 2017 11:16 |  #8

Hello, can someone please tell me what kind of studio light is good for beginner newborn photography? I heard about Einstein 640 but that's above my budget right now. Then theres alien bees which I am considering. Is there anything else? I plan on working with studio lights only because of its consistency.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 04, 2017 14:58 |  #9

Vitoflo wrote in post #18465537 (external link)

That's the opposite. I get my exposure first then focus on the shoot, people, action, composition. You'll be worried that the camera is reading your mind properly.

What you'd like to do is fine. Practice first so you will understand what's going on.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Angmo.
Oct 04, 2017 15:00 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18465644 (external link)
It seems to me that P mode is a 'snapshooter' mode...it either has enough light to take a shot with 100% ambient, or it is shifting itself to X-sync speed and using eTTL flash as primary source of light for the photo. Any 'fill' is purely as a seredipitous combination of circumstances...not by-design. (Hmmm, maybe the comment does not apply to an external flash unit.)

Shooting with Av mode, and eTTL flash turned on with FEC < 0 will output some flash less intensity than ambient) but ambient light is the primary source of light...the flash fills in shadows where the sun does not fall.

I call it (P)rofesional mode as tongue in cheek... It's the opposite of professional mode.

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2014
Toronto Canada
Oct 04, 2017 15:26 |  #11

Vitoflo wrote in post #18465824 (external link)
I will try P mode and +1 FEC just to see if the 1ds2 still has a good eye..

Unless you are bouncing off a very high ceiling, FEC of +1, in the Canon world, on people's faces, is almost never, ever a good idea - ever - it is like throwing a light grenade at them.

Far more 'pleasing' in my experience, for faces, is FEC -2/3rds EV - with ambient exposure set to preference - but I find -2/3rds EV is, for a 'normal' scene, a good guess and starting point.

For +1 FEC to work on peoples faces, you better have good makeup artists with everyone wearing nice flat makeup to avoid reflection or you better be converting images into B&W.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links

6,796 views & 2 likes for this thread
Fill amount and P mode
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.