Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 17:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photography "Education"

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Oct 06, 2017 12:52 as a reply to post 18467256 |  #16

Hello,

I always think your two cents trade well on the Exchange of Ideas.

My college had, and perhaps the past is the correct tense, a good reputation as for Printing (colour and black and white) when it was a Polytechnic. I wouldn't have thought that reputation persists to this day if the tuition I received is now standard there.

You mentioned long days in the darkroom - I can recall the weeks of short days in winter where I barely saw sunlight as I was in the black and white darkroom from before sun up to after nightfall ... I was though often the only one, or accompanied by one or two familiar faces. There were about three or four of us who spent a lot of time there, and another four or five - one or two crossed over - who were regulars of the colour darkroom. I probably spent too little time in the colour darkroom, and perhaps too much time in the comfort of the red safe light.

Your programme with its "slant was more toward the artistic side but still with a heavy emphasis on the technical side" sounds ideal and sadly, I think my school lacked that second part. I do think there was a certain lack of dedication from a lot of the students taking the course though.

Out of interest, did you study where you're living now, Chicago (or nearby)?

On balance, I am pleased that I did my course. I might have studied other things but Photography was my main interest at the time and has remained something important, even defining, in my life ever since. I can't say that I got 100% out of it, as with hindsight there are things I might have done differently, but I do feel like I participated fully in classes, attending lectures not only in body but in mind (among those who turned up there were a lot of mental absentees), and gave my projects everything I had. I was also nearly always photographing things besides my University projects and in the summers I continued working with existing clients photographing at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. (After Uni I also got a job for six months with a local wildlife charity, in a Government sponsored scheme where I had to present a portfolio, and interview - and it also definitely helped that I had a degree.)

I don't make a living from photography. I'm happy doing something else and doing my personal work. I can live without the professional work and decided I was happier not doing it. The personal work I have to do and I don't feel myself if I'm unable to dedicate time to Photography in a while. Photography is now something essential to me as a person. I am a photographer (please, let's not start another "who is a photographer" discussion though) because I look at things and see photographs. Part of the reason for this are the three years I spent on my degree course dedicating myself to Photography. As I've pursued Photography, in one way or another, since then, the learning hasn't stopped. I've matured as a person and grown as a Photographer in a lot of ways since then, but a lot of what I learned is still with me and I still reflect on it.

My two pence/euro or Owain cents ... not sure what those are worth against the Allen Dollar.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,286 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 06, 2017 13:34 |  #17

Owain Shaw wrote in post #18467309 (external link)
I am a photographer . . . because I look at things and see photographs.

Aha! That statement stood out for me. Thanks for arriving at the insight and articulating it.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 06, 2017 16:36 |  #18

OhLook feeling salty lately!

I need a vacation too. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,286 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Oct 06, 2017 16:50 |  #19

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18467424 (external link)
OhLook feeling salty lately!

I need a vacation too. :D

I do need a vacation, but if you're crediting my post with sarcasm or something (I'm unsure what you meant), 'tain't so. That post came from gratitude.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 06, 2017 16:54 as a reply to OhLook's post |  #20

Gotcha.

Yes, I thought it was a little sarcastic. I'm freaking tired,
And not sleepy tired, just damn tired.

Cheers, have a great weekend!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Oct 06, 2017 19:11 |  #21

MrWho wrote in post #18466225 (external link)
...Standards are falling, and I'm not sure how to improve what's coming out of the programs, but something's falling short somewhere...

School only reflects the standards. They are low these days. For some reasons. From how low A. Leibovitz on the top has became and what in dropped on photo forums at the bottom. IMO.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Owain ­ Shaw
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Valencia, Spain.
Oct 07, 2017 03:00 |  #22

OhLook wrote in post #18467437 (external link)
I do need a vacation, but if you're crediting my post with sarcasm or something (I'm unsure what you meant), 'tain't so. That post came from gratitude.

I just got back from holiday and got what you meant. As ever, the capacity for misunderstanding through written word in message boards is great but I got it. Thanks OhLook.

| Photographic for the People - New website coming soon. |
| Gear | Flickr (external link) |

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Oct 07, 2017 08:19 |  #23

Check out this piece by Erik Kim. Read it for Manos. I recommend reading the entire piece but #15 Taste. Many on forums might be looking at a really strong image and not even know it. I have read in the past on forums the likes of Eggelston getting ripped when he was truly one of the greats and I think Manos really hits some nails on the head in this piece.
http://erickimphotogra​phy.com ...aught-street-photography/ (external link)

sponsored links

6,369 views & 23 likes for this thread
Photography "Education"
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.