Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 03 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 22:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Did My Flash Cause This?

david.g.photo84
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Post has been edited 14 days ago by david.g.photo84.
Oct 03, 2017 22:18 |  #1

Hello,

I am new to my 6D, but not DSLR photography or strobist style flash photography. I was taking some pictures today for my side business and when editing noticed that in one of my pictures there is a streak on the right that is washed out. I am not sure if that is due to one of my flashes being very close camera right, w/ shoot thru umbrella and at 1/4 power. On some shots I had to crop out the umbrella since it came out in a few pics. The other pictures look fine to my eyes. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I tried to recreate the picture, but didn't get the same result and I don't remember how I was positioned.

Not sure where I should put this, so if it's in the wrong section I apologize.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4456/37227632710_b957b4ae28_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4474/37227628350_879e125968_z.jpg

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4487/37454620852_04fd6176ba_z.jpg

Thank you!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 03, 2017 23:09 |  #2

Looks to me like it was just some object intruding into the picture frame in that first shot.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

david.g.photo84
THREAD ­ STARTER
20 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Oct 04, 2017 10:23 as a reply to Archibald's post |  #3

Thank you for your reply! That's what I am thinking as well and it may be the flash umbrella. I tried to reposition myself and the umbrella to recreate the effect, but was unsuccessful. This was the only shot that turned out like that, so it may have very well been the way I or the umbrella was positioned.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 12, 2017 23:49 |  #4

david.g.photo84 wrote in post #18465812 (external link)
Thank you for your reply! That's what I am thinking as well and it may be the flash umbrella. I tried to reposition myself and the umbrella to recreate the effect, but was unsuccessful. This was the only shot that turned out like that, so it may have very well been the way I or the umbrella was positioned.

Just FYI..

I like using a Beauty dish on fabrics and leathers. IMO, Brings out texture more than umbrellas and softboxes.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

hbomb69
Joined Jan 2007
Lancashire, UK
Oct 13, 2017 14:23 |  #5

just an observation, your cropping is in 'No Mans Land' for me, either show the full garment with a bit of space, or deliberately crop in closer for effect or detail...
If you cut things off or crop to close to the edge, and they look accidental, it wont look balanced...:)

CANON 5D MKIII x 2 / CANON 50D / CANON 550D
http://www.michaelhard​castle.co.ukexternal link
Facebook.com/michaelha​rdcastlephotography

1,364 views & 3 likes for this thread
Did My Flash Cause This?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.