Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 04 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 09:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

MacBook connection to Processing monitor?

dhornick
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Oct 04, 2017 09:58 |  #1

This is really an Apple product question but, for you guys/gals that use an Apple MacBook Pro laptop, how specifically do you connect it to your non Apple product processing monitor? HDMI, Thunderbolt, etc...

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 04, 2017 11:22 |  #2

Shouldn't matter.

Thunderbolt is likely the better option though.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

dhornick
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2012
Omaha, NE
Oct 04, 2017 12:51 |  #3

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18465844 (external link)
Shouldn't matter.

Thunderbolt is likely the better option though.

I would agree if both have Thunderbolt connections but since the monitor is older I'd have to use the Thunderbolt to VGA adaptor and it's not very well reviewed. I'm thinking of getting a new monitor and of course it would have HDMI ports as does the MacBook. No monitors made these days have Thunderbolt ports that I know of.

Darrell
6D | 16-35mm f/4 L | 8-15mm Fisheye L | 24-105mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 100-400mm f/4.5 5.6L | Speedlights 430EX III, 600EX II RT & ST-E3-RT transmitter.
Flickr (external link)

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Oct 04, 2017 13:10 |  #4

I use a Thunderbolt -> HDMI adapter to my ASUS IPS monitor.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 04, 2017 15:45 |  #5

Loads of monitor options out there that will directly connect via a thunderbolt connection. DP ports are thunderbolt compatible, so anything that has either DP or mDP connectors will work just fine. My current monitor ONLY has DP and mDP connections, no HDMI connector. It was actually a little disappointing in that I couldn't hook a Sky box up to it directly, although it is 5K, it does actually look very good when running in 4K at 3840×2160.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

1,037 views & 2 likes for this thread
MacBook connection to Processing monitor?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.