Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 04 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 13:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Accessing some photos while remote?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kaitlyn2004. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 13:48 |  #1

I'll be traveling for an extended period of time and won't have my entire library of photos on a local hard drive with me, but I will have my more recent photos+LR catalog with me.

I won't need to access my older photos regularly, but absolutely will need to access a couple here, 1 there, etc. etc.

They're all stored on a Synology NAS which can be accessed remotely, though internet connectivity may be spotty.

The few solutions I've thought of is:
1) Generate smart/lower-res previews for my entire catalog (and how can I ensure they do NOT get discarded?). Then I can at least use LR to differentiate which file is which, and just copy that one or two files locally once I've determined what I need
2) Use Synology's photo station (or similar?) to remotely browse my older/entire library. Never used this before so not sure how it would go.
3) Leave my computer on here and remote connect to it with a local copy of the LR catalog which could easily browse/work with all my photos... as long as bandwidth could make doing that remotely screensharing feasible...
4) ???

What are your setups or workflows for when you may need to both a) find an older/specific photo; and b) get that photo to yourself?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 04, 2017 18:25 |  #2

I would create a new library on the laptop for photos taken on the trip. Remotely access the home computer if/when needed. Merge the laptop's catalog into the main catalog when you get home.

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 04, 2017 19:37 |  #3

mike_d wrote in post #18466094 (external link)
I would create a new library on the laptop for photos taken on the trip. Remotely access the home computer if/when needed. Merge the laptop's catalog into the main catalog when you get home.

Never tried merging catalogs before and it sounds a little scary!

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 04, 2017 19:49 |  #4

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18466136 (external link)
Never tried merging catalogs before and it sounds a little scary!

I cant remember the details right now but I've done it a couple of times and it's easy. Just do a youtube search on it.

nordlysBW
328 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Post has been edited 2 months ago by nordlysBW.
Oct 05, 2017 15:19 |  #5

I've no idea how extensive your photo library is, but if you are spending quite a long time away from home is it not easier to pack a copy of it on an extra hard disk which you can access anytime without having to rely on fancy solutions. Having done this for years with a 280-gram, 2TB hardisk, I have saved a lot of time trying to connect to anything remote because of either a total lack of internet connection, lousy bandwidth, horrendous connection prices or very unreliable connections abroad. Jiust a side note: I'm away from home about five to six months a year.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,204 posts
Joined Feb 2012
Sandy, Oregon
Oct 06, 2017 12:49 |  #6

I agree unless your talking several Terabytes just grab an external hard drive or thumb drive and move your catalog, or make a copy to use while on the go.

sponsored links

398 views & 1 like for this thread
Accessing some photos while remote?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.