Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews
Thread started 04 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 13:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM, reviewed by Bassat

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Bassat (showing now: Bassat)
Overall Ratingn/a
not rated
Overall Image Qualityn/a
not rated
Value for Moneyn/a
not rated
Bokehn/a
not rated
Sharpnessn/a
not rated
Contrastn/a
not rated
Focusingn/a
not rated
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 04, 2017 13:52 |  #1

I just got this lens today. I took it out in the backyard and snapped about 400 photos. My initial impressions:

Build and appearance: Quite nice. This lens is attractive, and feels solid. A big improvement over the 18-135 IS (original).

VF AF: Extremely quick, and very accurate. This lens deserves the designation USM. I would not hesitate to use the 18-135 USM for sports/athletics shooting. More to come.

IQ: I have not done enough real-world testing to comment intelligently. In the center of the frame, at f/5.6 to f/8, it is excellent all the way from 18mm to 135mm. I expect that. Again, much improved over the original version, which was atrocious at the long end, at any aperture. More to come.

LV AF. Very good in both One-Shot and Servo, but in LV Servo, it struggles a bit with low contrast subjects. The 18-55 STM is better with low contrast subjects, but not by much. And that may be my testing methods. And low contrast subject matter really taxes ANY AF system.

Video AF: Quick, smooth, accurate. It lives up to the Canon advertising hype. I only tested with default settings. More to come.

Video noise (sound): I tested this lens against the 18-55 STM. I made no focal length adjustments during the test. In a dead silent room, I can hear what I think is the IS in the background, on both lenses. The sound is minimal and will be easily covered by ANY ambient noise in the environment. With respect to focus noise in video. It is discernible with the 18-55 STM in a dead-silent room; ambient noise will cover it, easily. With the 18-135 USM, focus noise is a bit more pronounced. I am not sure ambient would cover it, but it isn't horrible. More 'real world' work necessary, and coming.

Conclusion:
Overall, I am extremely pleased with my new EF-s 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens. I opted for USM over STM because focus speed/accuracy is more important to me than silent video focusing. I'd rate the focus speed and accuracy of this lens as equivalent/near equivalent to my 85 1.8 and/or 70-200 f/4L IS. It is good. The slight issue with video focus noise is likely NOT an issue.

Tom

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,357 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 5 days ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 12, 2017 09:00 |  #2

Is this specifically the "nano" version that also accepts the PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter? You don't mention it, nor does a previous reviewer (see http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​480802) but he may have done his review before the adapter was available.

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am still in my underwear."
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 12, 2017 09:19 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #18471034 (external link)
Is this specifically the "nano" version that also accepts the PZ-E1 Power Zoom Adapter? You don't mention it, nor does a previous reviewer (see http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​480802) but he may have been before the adapter was available.

Yes, I have the nano-USM version of this lens that accepts the PZ-E1 Power Zoom. That is the ONLY USM version of this lens. Canon has made 3 18-135mm lenses:

EFs 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (pig, avoid)
EFs 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (good optics, slow focus)
EFs 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (same optics as STM, blitzkrieg-quick AF, uses PZ-E1)

I had the original 18-135. It was a cheaply built, slow focusing pig of lens. Optically, it was OK until about 100mm. It deteriorated quickly from there.

The review in your link is for the USM version. Only the USM version uses the PZ-E1.

Tom

217 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM, reviewed by Bassat
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.