Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 04 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 18:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to get rid of a shadow cast behind a subject from a flash?

kat.hayes
133 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Oct 04, 2017 18:23 |  #1

Using a 5DM3 and a 600EX-RT I'm shooting my subject against a wall and I am getting a shadow cast behind her. I have the flash in ETTL mode and I lowered the FEC to -1. What can I do to eliminate or minimize the shadow of the subject behind the subject?

Thanks.

sponsored links
MKUltra*
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Oct 04, 2017 18:30 |  #2

You could a) move the subject away from the wall, b) light the wall separately, c) use a ring flash.

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Post has been edited 2 months ago by bpalermini.
Oct 04, 2017 18:33 |  #3

If your only choice is a camera mounted flash I'd say you need to bounce the flash to get a bigger source of light and maybe move the subject away from the wall some. THIS (external link) guy has a lot of good ideas on how to do that.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 04, 2017 18:47 as a reply to bpalermini's post |  #4

A sledgehammer and saws-all will fix that right up! Bye bye wall.

But yeah, if you can't bust the wall down or get the subject away from the wall, enlarge the light source and/or place it in a way that the shadow is minimized.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,505 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 2 months ago by John from PA.
Oct 04, 2017 19:00 |  #5

A light source in front of an opaque object will create a shadow. The only thing you have as a control is to vary the light source, as other have suggested use it in a bounce mode, or get the subject away from the wall. The other option is to make some adjustments in post processing but that can be time consuming. Sorry to say but next time plan your shot better. Even before that do some experimentation, maybe a chair in front of a wall and experiment with bounce angles, distance, etc.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,237 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 04, 2017 19:56 |  #6

When I took my lighting courses they told me to put my back to a wall. You can bounce the flash off the ceiling towards the subject but I prefer to bounce it off a wall or ceiling from behind me if I can which I call reverse bounce. Or you can can try to get the flash higher up.

Reverse bounce. Image by a member called smorter who I can not seen for quite some time here. Red dots shadows under eyes an nose from light coming strait down. If you bounce forward you can to be pretty far back to angle the light enough.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 04, 2017 20:06 |  #7

One of the best graphics in POTN history!

LOL

It's been a while, thanks for digging it up

:)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,237 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 04, 2017 20:12 |  #8

A lot better than I can do.

Image Editing OK

richfell
Joined Apr 2007
Oct 04, 2017 20:16 |  #9

digital paradise wrote in post #18466145 (external link)

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=184​66145&i=i29653703
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

bw!

Rich

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,277 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 05, 2017 00:20 |  #10

It is almost impossible to 'get rid of a shadow' once it is cast, you can only add light so the shadow is less contrasty!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jlafferty
90 posts
Joined Feb 2017
NYC
Oct 05, 2017 11:58 |  #11

All of this and also: get the camera more side-y and throw the shadow out of frame.

MKUltra* wrote in post #18466098 (external link)
You could a) move the subject away from the wall, b) light the wall separately, c) use a ring flash.

Current Portfolio (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,237 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 05, 2017 12:00 |  #12

Wilt wrote in post #18466305 (external link)
It is almost impossible to 'get rid of a shadow' once it is cast, you can only add light so the shadow is less contrasty!

Maybe with a lot of cloning which is no fun. Cut the subject out and paste maybe.

Image Editing OK

hawkeye69
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2017
Mesa, Arizona USA
Oct 05, 2017 15:26 |  #13

Bouncing the flash is the easiest solution.

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by ThreeHounds.
Oct 05, 2017 16:31 |  #14

If reshooting is not feasible, it is possible to at least reduce them to an acceptable level using luminosity masks...

Customized Luminosity Masks - Greg Benz (external link)

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 05, 2017 20:46 |  #15

I use and LCD eraser in post

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

sponsored links

13,315 views & 31 likes for this thread
How to get rid of a shadow cast behind a subject from a flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.