Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 06 Oct 2017 (Friday) 00:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

F/F Mirrorless from Canon (Maybe)

russellsnr2
971 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Greek Island of Rhodes.. Ex. Sussex @ Cumbria
Oct 06, 2017 00:45 |  #1

https://petapixel.com ...a-may-arrive-2018-sensor/ (external link)

Many Thanks,
Russell.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 20 days ago by MalVeauX.
Nov 22, 2017 08:49 |  #2

Canon should have done this back when the M line was introduced. A full frame mirrorless from Canon would have kept a lot of folk from switching to other systems. I would wait for it, but, I know I won't buy it in 2018 nor even by 2020 because it will be a $1500+ camera or even more and it will require adapters to work with EF glass, unless they release it with the spacing built in for lens registration to be happy with EF glass (which would make sense to me, since EF-M glass isn't really meant for a larger sensor anyways). But Canon has to do it right and release it with a very good, very big, EVF with modern features (focus peaking, eye detect, etc). But either way, they're too late to the party for a lot of us that want mirrorless and smaller systems in general. Sony got all the full framers. Fuji got the rest.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380! | Canon 5D Classic Bundle for Sale! $250!

archfotos
87 posts
Joined May 2016
Dec 06, 2017 07:16 |  #3

Even if Canon comes out with a FF mirrorless that accepts Eos lenses - the company's philosophy needs to drastically change for it to be a viable camera. They are so stuck in protecting their Cinema line that they've killed off sales of lesser models restricting 4k, good chance that the Chroma subsampling will be limited to yesterday's specs, that the codex won't be acceptable for the normal life of the camera. Investing in systems I need to use it two years from it's release not what was acceptable three years ago. This will be true if they give it the specs of the 6d verses the 5dsr.

This and or that spec is not going to make Canon good again, they need to change their philosophy of a company with a multitude of models to single cameras that are incredibly innovated.

just my humble opinion

DC Photographer (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 6 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Dec 06, 2017 07:25 |  #4

The decline in digital camera sales isn't going to help matters much, and thus less R&D funds exist for new offerings from any camera manufacturer. If the landscape was different, I could see Canon being a bit more aggressive at new designs, but as we have seen, they are very conservative on where they put their efforts. Perhaps we will see a FF mirrorless and adapter from Canon.

For me personally, I just don't need a smaller camera, and I believe that is the only real advantage to getting a mirrorless over a small FF DSLR. I don't like electronic viewfinders either, I haven't yet seen one I like to look at, or it just isn't refreshed fast enough. Therefore, I and others like me that don't mind the sizes of the current cameras most likely won't be eager to just jump over to a new expensive FF body. That could limit the customer base a bit perhaps, but maybe there are even more not getting into DSLRs just because of the size and are eagerly awaiting a small FF mirrorless?

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,815 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 06, 2017 08:32 |  #5

Canon entering the market would be fun. Catching up on lenses will be a daunting task, it would take years to accomplish, something like the M will NEVER complete, I know it's a bold claim, but at its current rate, I'll likely have grand children before it starts getting serious.

Company ideals would need to change as well, they would have no choice but to cannibalize themselves, to stay competitive. Many fast mirrorless options available, with full lens lineup. That will surely eat into the EF system.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,391 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Dec 06, 2017 10:58 |  #6

I did think of one thing that would be very interesting for me, and that is the ability to try other lenses not really usable now with EF mounts. That would be cool. However the used market for these other lenses have now gone up to price levels that would cause me pause, due to how useful they have become over the past few years due to other offerings. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have stocked up on a bunch of old lenses nobody wanted years ago. :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

archfotos
87 posts
Joined May 2016
Dec 06, 2017 15:05 |  #7

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18511951 (external link)
I did think of one thing that would be very interesting for me, and that is the ability to try other lenses not really usable now with EF mounts. That would be cool...

I thought that and bought some expensive adapters for my sony mirrorless. The reality is a lot of old film lenses don't actually cut it and for every internet tail (hoopla) of some 1920's lens being used there are hundreds that don't live up to our pixel peeping standards of today. Just want a big fat FF mirrorless that excepts Eos lenses without an adapter.

I understand what you are saying about disliking looking through an electronic viewfinder, I also am not a fan, however I have found the immediate info of exposure adjustment or zooming in for critical focus to convince me that there are some great benefits that imho outweigh the negative. Again, just my opinion.

DC Photographer (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,815 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Dec 06, 2017 16:13 |  #8

archfotos wrote in post #18512146 (external link)
I thought that and bought some expensive adapters for my sony mirrorless. The reality is a lot of old film lenses don't actually cut it and for every internet tail (hoopla) of some 1920's lens being used there are hundreds that don't live up to our pixel peeping standards of today. Just want a big fat FF mirrorless that excepts Eos lenses without an adapter.

I understand what you are saying about disliking looking through an electronic viewfinder, I also am not a fan, however I have found the immediate info of exposure adjustment or zooming in for critical focus to convince me that there are some great benefits that imho outweigh the negative. Again, just my opinion.

there are many lenses that adapt well, including old lenses. Sometimes, it's not all about the resolution, but the bokeh you can get for the money.

nikon 50 1.2, 105 2.5
minolta 58 1.2, 135 2.8
FDn 50 1.2, 5 1.2

the sharper variety
contax 35-70, 100-300
any contax prime
OM 24
pentax 28, 50
OM 200f5
FDn 200 f4

list goes on, many of those can absolutely peg a high megapixel camera.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

sponsored links

445 views & 1 like for this thread
F/F Mirrorless from Canon (Maybe)
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.