Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 10:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Portable changing room to prevent camera shake

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Post has been edited 2 months ago by 01Ryan10.
Oct 09, 2017 15:47 |  #16

Wilt wrote in post #18469225 (external link)
I find that all too frequently, discussions of tripod stability talk about weight bearing strength or freedom from vibration (or quickness of vibration dampening being better in carbon fiber than aluminum), but ignore the issue of TRIPOD TORSIONAL RIGIDITY. For this aspect I can offer no easy solution in tripod selection, as no one ever tests for torsional rigidity!

When in gusting winds, all too often long lenses are pushed by the wind to cause the whole tripod to twist about the center column (even when not raised at all), causing the point of focus to be moved laterally in the frame, and NO additional weight can alleviate that problem.

With hanging gear bags, the wind also catches the bag and causes it to swing laterally as well, acting as a pendulum even after the wind has (briefly ) stopped gusting! So while it might alleviate the issue of the tripod and camera being 'lifted' off the ground, adding to the ultimate stability, the lateral pendulum effects in gusting winds remain a significant problem. For that reason, I resort to using a strap hanging down from the tripod, and I STAND ON the strap to make it more difficult for the wind to 'lift' the tripod and camera yet it does so with ZERO lateral pendulum swing.

Nice...i like the idea...even a bungee cord from the tripod hook that you can stand on.

But yeah...long lens is a mini sail.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,269 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 09, 2017 15:57 as a reply to 01Ryan10's post |  #17

Bungee puts too little added downforce, IMHO. A strap can transfer fully the added mass of your body (or even one leg)!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,502 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 10, 2017 12:17 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #18469225 (external link)
For that reason, I resort to using a strap hanging down from the tripod, and I STAND ON the strap to make it more difficult for the wind to 'lift' the tripod and camera yet it does so with ZERO lateral pendulum swing.

This reminds me of what was termed a "poor man's monopod" from a few years ago. Essentially it was a short piece of rope, jury rigged on one end to give a 1/4-20 screw for the tripod mounting on the camera. You stood on the other end and thus eliminated much of the vertical motion. It also helped to a degree to stabilize horizontal motion. It of course had the advantage of being rolled up and thrown in a bag or pocket.

Now, along those lines I had forgotten something I had seen at a graduation party earlier in the summer. A "semi" pro was running around taking pictures with a monopod made from a Shur Line painters pole with a adapter available off Amazon. The pole came from Home Depot and was a Shurline ($19) that extended to about 5 feet (minimum 2-1/2 feet). The adapter can be found at https://www.amazon.com ...era-Monopod/dp/B00EVWS1JK (external link) and is pictured below. It screws onto a painter's pole or even a cheap threaded broom handle; one end into or on the ground, the camera on the adapter. You can get painter's poles that are quite long but I don't think I would trust a 5DIII on a 12 foot pole, but as an 8 foot monopod used while standing on a chair, it is a usable device.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

808 views & 2 likes for this thread
Portable changing room to prevent camera shake
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.