Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk
Thread started 10 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 09:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon MPE-65 mm repair or replace with something else

davholla
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 10, 2017 09:26 |  #1

I have had a quote of £460+VAT to repair my lens or £530+vat - Repair and Full Service.
(I am looking for another quote for any Americans that is USD 848).
However I thought should I look for an alternative as well whilst waiting for my lens to come back from the company that gave me this large quote, as it is quite heavy to use, worse than my Tamron 150-600 lens and I have shoulder problems which make this to be a pain.

I found this website http://extreme-macro.co.uk/raynox-adapter-techniques/ (external link)
I have this lens and with a Canon 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 plus an adapter I could get very good magnification 5.05:1 and with a longer working distance than my MPE65.
However I think there is a flaw with my calculations, any ideas? If it were that easy and cheap everything would have done it.
I have masses of photos to look through from my Colombia trip so there is no real urgency, saying that I love it. I googled this combination but no joy.

If anyone has a really clever alternative, please let me know.

sponsored links
Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Oct 10, 2017 12:46 |  #2

You could get the poor man's MP-E 65mm (external link) -will get you to about 3x with a full set of tubes. I probably won't get my MP-E 65mm repaired if it breaks again.

My Gallery (external link)
My Blog (external link)
Macro Tutorials (external link)

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 11, 2017 03:11 |  #3

Dalantech wrote in post #18469811 (external link)
You could get the poor man's MP-E 65mm (external link) -will get you to about 3x with a full set of tubes. I probably won't get my MP-E 65mm repaired if it breaks again.

Intresting does that poor man's MPE have variable magnification? I really like going to 5x magnification - mites are really cool.

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Oct 11, 2017 03:54 |  #4

davholla wrote in post #18470229 (external link)
Intresting does that poor man's MPE have variable magnification? I really like going to 5x magnification - mites are really cool.

The magnification range depends on how much extension you have. Don't think it can realistically hit 5x and still be practical, but it might open a new door for you. I recently bought Canon's 35mm macro lens because the working distance is very short, but I should be able to get really good flash diffusion at .5x which is really difficult with any other lens...

Honestly if you have to have the MP-E's magnification and convenience then either get your exiting lens repaired or get a new one.

My Blog (external link)

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 11, 2017 04:30 |  #5

Dalantech wrote in post #18470239 (external link)
The magnification range depends on how much extension you have. Don't think it can realistically hit 5x and still be practical, but it might open a new door for you. I recently bought Canon's 35mm macro lens because the working distance is very short, but I should be able to get really good flash diffusion at .5x which is really difficult with any other lens...

Honestly if you have to have the MP-E's magnification and convenience then either get your exiting lens repaired or get a new one.

A lot of people would dislike short working distance. I have never had anything other than the 60mm and MPE so can't say either way.

What I meant was does the MPE have variable magnification i.e. can you change from 3x to less or are you stuck on 3x? I really love flexibility with magnification, partly because I don't have so much choice in subjects that I can refuse to take subject x because I don't have the right magnification.

Dalantech
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2006
Bacoli, Italy
Oct 11, 2017 06:40 |  #6

davholla wrote in post #18470243 (external link)
A lot of people would dislike short working distance. I have never had anything other than the 60mm and MPE so can't say either way.

I like short working distances because I'm using the flash to freeze motion, and getting the flash as close as possible to the subject keeps the duration of the flash as short as possible (easier to freeze motion). Diffusion also improves as the flash to subject distance drops.

davholla wrote in post #18470243 (external link)
What I meant was does the MPE have variable magnification i.e. can you change from 3x to less or are you stuck on 3x? I really love flexibility with magnification, partly because I don't have so much choice in subjects that I can refuse to take subject x because I don't have the right magnification.

I think that you meant the EF-S 60mm + extension tubes. Yes, you can vary the magnification just by turning the focusing ring. The range of magnification depends on how much extension you're using.

My Blog (external link)

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 11, 2017 08:09 |  #7

Dalantech wrote in post #18470304 (external link)
I like short working distances because I'm using the flash to freeze motion, and getting the flash as close as possible to the subject keeps the duration of the flash as short as possible (easier to freeze motion). Diffusion also improves as the flash to subject distance drops.

Yes I think short working distance can be good - when I experimented with photos in water I found it a great benefit

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2685/32882056682_a3b10d2616_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/S6F8​RL] (external link)Rat tailed maggots (external link) by davholla2002 (external link), on Flickr

Others violently disagree.

Dalantech wrote in post #18470304 (external link)
I think that you meant the EF-S 60mm + extension tubes. Yes, you can vary the magnification just by turning the focusing ring. The range of magnification depends on how much extension you're using.

Thanks for that, it is what I meant.

davholla
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 11, 2017 08:53 |  #8

Thanks all. I have now 2 quotes

1) £120 all in

2) £85 labour (at least) plus vat plus parts

I think (1) is going to be cheaper

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
59,085 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2005
Worthing UK
Oct 12, 2017 00:52 |  #9

davholla wrote in post #18470394 (external link)
Thanks all. I have now 2 quotes

1) £120 all in

2) £85 labour (at least) plus vat plus parts

I think (1) is going to be cheaper

Those seem more reasonable quotes. I have used both canon at Elstree and Colchester camera repair in the past for MPE-65 repair.
Brian v.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Oct 22, 2017 12:25 |  #10

I had a quote for repair of a 50mm f/1.4 that was about 50% of the price of the lens. As that particular lens has a design flaw I decided not to bother. If you have had good use of your MP-E I would consider the repair, it is still a fairly unique lens.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links

1,655 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon MPE-65 mm repair or replace with something else
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.