Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 10 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 14:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

By 2020: Wishlist for EOS bodies

dolina
Goldmember
4,795 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post has been edited 1 month ago by dolina.
Oct 10, 2017 14:32 |  #1

I hope Leica Nikon, Pentax and Sony continue to create better products than Canon.

I say this in the hopes that it forces Canon to create better products in the future. :)

Features I would like to be present on any EOS body released between now and before 2020.

* CFast or SDXC UHS-II card slots with read/writes better than 167MB/s

* Use a Snapdragon 835 or better SoC because DIGIC appears to be worse in terms of performance per watt

* USB Type-C port with USB Power Delivery or Quick Charge 4.0 for charging and Thunderbolt 3 video output and data transfers

* 3.7-inch Multi-touch IPS Wide color (P3) display but never AMOLED due to burn in

* IP67 Splash, Water, and Dust Resistant

* Larger mAh battery in the same form factor.

* No AA filters

* Video bit rate @ more than 167MB/s

* 4K @ 60fps or better

* 1080p @ 120fps or better

* Lighter weight

* Cheaper prices through consolidating to fewer SKUs and increased units produced.

* Add High Efficiency Image File Format (HEIF) and High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC).

* Add 802.11ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology, NFC, Assisted GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS

Visit my Flickrexternal link, Facebookexternal link & 500pxexternal link and see my photos. :)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 17, 2017 01:18 |  #2

Features I would like to be present on every EOS body released between now and 2020:

- Extremely precise focus peaking via live view on the LCD on every EOS DSLR.

- Of course, far better high ISO noise performance than what we have today. And I mean real noise performance in the RAW files that comes straight from sensor improvements........NO​T fake performance that comes via the software applying NR defaults to the image files (which is asinine).

- I want Canon DSLRs to be The King again. By this I mean that I want Canon DSLRs to far surpass Sony, Nikon, and everybody else when it comes to sensor performance with regards to RAW noise performance and dynamic range at both high and low ISOs. This great new sensor performance would be standard on every DSLR, from Rebels all the way up to the flagship pro body.

- I want programmable focus tracking. By this I mean that you tell the camera what you want it to maintain focus on, and then it tracks that object and maintains precise focus on it no matter where it is in the frame or how fast it moves about. Imagine this - you program in a racquetball, and then shoot a racquetball match and the ball itself is in absolute, perfect focus.........even when it is just a foot or two away from your lens and moving at a gazillion miles an hour, every single frame in 10 FPS bursts has the ball in absolutely perfect focus! It'd be kind of like Face Recognition, but, like, a gazillion times faster, a gazillion times more precise, and a gazillion times more versatile.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

mcoren
Joined Mar 2015
Northern Virginia, USA
Oct 20, 2017 10:37 |  #3

Light field technology. Then you can fine-tune focus and DOF in post. ;-)a

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM, 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

PhotosGuy
74,830 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Oct 20, 2017 10:56 |  #4

Seems as if it would be pretty easy to add more M modes on the dial, like M1, M2, & M3, no? For those fast changing situations where a wide aperture is more important than a specific shutter speed. Or a cloud passes over the sun. Or... ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 20, 2017 12:30 |  #5

Hrm,

1) A big pixel large sensor body (10~12MP) that has really good high ISO performance, and really awesome low ISO dynamic range (something that really outdoes the A7S series, but Canon).

2) Optional EVF/OFV with a switch, so you can use OVF when you want, or switch to an EFV that has good focus peaking, facial/eye recognition (this would also apply to Live View if used).

3) A smaller full frame or APS-C body with a leaf shutter that is silent, allows way more lighting sync speed options, with the above features.

4) MFA for every lens, both at min/max focus distances on all bodies.

5) No AA filter on all bodies.

6) A small monochrome sensor version, with the above features.

7) F2.8 crosspoints on the peripheral points, and -3 EV on them for sensitivity, and F8 center and peripheral AF points, as a standard even on the base camera body and programmable AI Servo tracking on even the base camera bodies.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 135L For Sale | Canon 17-40L For Sale | Canon 50mm STM For Sale | YN622C-TX & YN622C x 2 For Sale

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 09, 2017 02:40 |  #6

I'd still like time travel to be fitted as an option.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Pippan
575 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Darwin, Australia
Nov 09, 2017 05:41 |  #7

dolina wrote in post #18469903 (external link)
Features I would like to be present on any EOS body released between now and before 2020.

A rear lcd histogram/blinkies display that is based on raw data rather than a jpg conversion

An exposure meter that sets exposure for ETTR, with a selectable percentage of blown highlights, say 0-5%.

A proximity sensor that turns off the LCD when you bring the camera to your eye (my 100D has this but my 80D doesn’t)

A manual setting that allows an automatic adjustment of shutter speed if you need to quickly vary aperture, or vice versa, to maintain the same exposure (perhaps called Ev)

A sensor that arranges pixel sites like this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,600 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 09, 2017 07:52 |  #8

I'll just have a 1DX at an 80D price. Thanks.

Tom

sponsored links

480 views & 2 likes for this thread
By 2020: Wishlist for EOS bodies
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.