Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 11 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 12:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Klamath Basin Lodging

Itsed65
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
Hercules, CA
Oct 11, 2017 12:22 |  #1

I'm planning a trip in November to the Klamath/Tule NWR's and just wondering if anyone has any hotel recommendations in the area? Seems like Klamath Falls is about an hour away? Not a problem, but wondering if anyone has stayed in the area before and knows of anything closer.

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 and a Sony RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 11, 2017 18:17 |  #2

Itsed65 wrote in post #18470512 (external link)
I'm planning a trip in November to the Klamath/Tule NWR's and just wondering if anyone has any hotel recommendations in the area? Seems like Klamath Falls is about an hour away? Not a problem, but wondering if anyone has stayed in the area before and knows of anything closer.

I go to the Klamath Basin refuges each spring to photograph staging waterfowl. . The Tule Lake and Lower Klamath refuges, both on the California side of the border, are the ones with the best photo opportunities (by a long shot).

As far as I know, there is no viable place to stay in either Mitchell or Tule Lake, which are the nearest towns. . Heck, there isn't even a good place to eat lunch in Tule Lake. Klamath Falls is actually much less than an hour from these refuges - I would say more like 20 to 30 minutes.

I stay at the Motel 6 in Klamath Falls. . I know that the price varies seasonally, and hence can't say what the price will be in November, but when I stay in the spring it is either $39.99 a night or $49.99 a night. . It's quite nice and clean and better than you'd expect for that price. . Plus, it's right next door to the Black Bear Diner!

There are a few similarly inexpensive places to stay on US 97, on the North end of Klamath Falls. . I've stayed at three of these places, all around $40 a night, but they are not nice places to stay at because they are dirty and old and often have seedy looking people hanging out around the place at all hours of day or night and the staff at the desk have trouble speaking English in a clear and easily understandable manner. . For basically the same price, the Motel 6 is much, much nicer.

As an aside, I'll mention that the Mule Deer will be rutting in November, and that the Tule Lake refuge, particularly along the road that the Visitor's Center is on, often provides some good opportunities to photograph the rutting deer at that time of year.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Itsed65
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
Hercules, CA
Oct 11, 2017 20:43 |  #3

Thanks for the info!

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 and a Sony RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

615 views & 1 like for this thread
Klamath Basin Lodging
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.