Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 13:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Laptop help (Mac) upgrade

superclarkey
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Oct 12, 2017 13:44 |  #1

I have a MacBook Pro late 2011 17inch fully loaded BTO laptop, every year I would walk in to Apple tempted by an upgrade and watch the prices go through the roof and for what didn’t seem like an upgrade, a year ago I decided to treat myself to a iMac top spec 5k 27inch fully loaded BTO machine with SSD, best graphics card then upgraded the memory to full capacity and I have to say it’s great (I do believe they have released a newer version since?) but very impressed so far..

Point is It made me realise that it was time to upgrade my work horse, the laptop that is always with me, now again I walked into Apple and again I walked out, the top spec BTO here in the uk is basically £2900 and I just don’t get, I paid £2k for my 2011 and it’s lasted me 6 years which is amazing value for money imho.

Adding all the adaptors I need too pushes the prices well over £3k, it’s got me thinking should I be looking elsewhere (I.e not Apple) and would I cope going back to windows lol

Is the new 15” Pro a good buy right now?

Can I get some feed back on what people think?

The 13” is just too small for me, and the track pad is redicoulsy big. The keys are terrible on the new MacBook :-(

When I bought the 17 inch it was like everything was just perfect and was a no Braininer, this time round really struggling, anyone else had same issue.

Canon EOS 5D mk IV
Canon 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L USM mk II
Canon 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L USM IS mk II

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 12, 2017 17:35 |  #2

Is the rest of your life apple, like your phone? They are more than computer to some. I bought my second one in late 2012, a retina 15" MacBook pro fully topped out at the time. Still going strong. The retina screen was the reason I moved up, it's so much better to work on. I think you'll always find cheaper windows machines but hey might not be better your your needs even if the specs say they are.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Oct 12, 2017 19:44 |  #3

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I have slowly migrated to the whole eco-system... I know how apple...

I have always had the iPhones and I switched from PC to Mac long ago, main reason for me was at the time I didn't want to be a computer programer and have to constantly reboot computers and sort issues out, it was just never ending problems, when I switched to the Mac, it was like switch it on, get done what I wanted to do, switch off.. so for me thats all I wanted.

I mean everytime you want to drive to the shops it would be like removing your engine and changing the big end bearings because if you didn't then the whole thing would crash for no reason normally when your doing something important lol Mac is like getting someone being your designated driver and you can chillax in the back seat while being taken to your location :D

I have iPhone, iMac, iPad, until it retired MacBook Pro 17.

F**K i'm a fanboy lol...

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

mike_d
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 12, 2017 20:10 |  #4

superclarkey wrote in post #18471470 (external link)
I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I have slowly migrated to the whole eco-system... I know how apple...

I have always had the iPhones and I switched from PC to Mac long ago, main reason for me was at the time I didn't want to be a computer programer and have to constantly reboot computers and sort issues out, it was just never ending problems, when I switched to the Mac, it was like switch it on, get done what I wanted to do, switch off.. so for me thats all I wanted.

I mean everytime you want to drive to the shops it would be like removing your engine and changing the big end bearings because if you didn't then the whole thing would crash for no reason normally when your doing something important lol Mac is like getting someone being your designated driver and you can chillax in the back seat while being taken to your location :D

I have iPhone, iMac, iPad, until it retired MacBook Pro 17.

F**K i'm a fanboy lol...

How is it possible that some people have so many problems with their computers and I don't?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 12, 2017 20:35 |  #5

mike_d wrote in post #18471495 (external link)
How is it possible that some people have so many problems with their computers and I don't?

I often wonder the same thing. -? I build my current desktop almost 8 years ago and it's still humming along.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

superclarkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
205 posts
Joined Apr 2012
United Kingdom
Oct 12, 2017 20:53 |  #6

The funny thing is, you had to build it which kinda reinforces my point of having to be more involved then you should be.

Do you go to your car dealership and then buy the parts and assemble it yourself after doing months of research or do you just got thats a cool colour i'll have that one...

I just want to pick the colour and get on with my busy life lol.

I'm currently sitting here at 2:45am in the morning editing time lapses lol... I do not have time to play the PC game. :D

I think I'm answering my own question here so maybe I just need to bite the bullet and let apple rape me some more for my laziness :D

Canon EOS 5D mk IV

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 12, 2017 21:35 |  #7

superclarkey wrote in post #18471514 (external link)
The funny thing is, you had to build it which kinda reinforces my point of having to be more involved then you should be.

Do you go to your car dealership and then buy the parts and assemble it yourself after doing months of research or do you just got thats a cool colour i'll have that one...

I just want to pick the colour and get on with my busy life lol.

I'm currently sitting here at 2:45am in the morning editing time lapses lol... I do not have time to play the PC game. :D

I think I'm answering my own question here so maybe I just need to bite the bullet and let apple rape me some more for my laziness :D

Well, I'm a master tech by trade who did a degree in computer science after HS, back when I didn't know what I wanted to do. I built my machine after a rather bad experience with a custom iMac I ordered.

For me, building it myself was a chance to spec it out specifically to my needs. No different than custom ordering a computer except you have more control to decide exactly where your priorities will be. I could have spent Apple level money and just ordered a custom gaming rig that would have been delivered to me, already assembled and tested. Of course, the money saved helped cover the cost of some of the peripherals. ;-)a I think I have as much invested (or more) in peripherals as I do in the tower. :oops:

Well, there's Apple, or a high end gaming rig. . . . . . if your whole ecosystem is Apple though, might as well bite the bullet, grab a jar of KY and head to the Apple store. :-P

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 12, 2017 21:49 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #18471535 (external link)
Well, I'm a master tech by trade who did a degree in computer science after HS, back when I didn't know what I wanted to do. I built my machine after a rather bad experience with a custom iMac I ordered.

For me, building it myself was a chance to spec it out specifically to my needs. No different than custom ordering a computer except you have more control to decide exactly where your priorities will be. I could have spent Apple level money and just ordered a custom gaming rig that would have been delivered to me, already assembled and tested. Of course, the money saved helped cover the cost of some of the peripherals. ;-)a I think I have as much invested (or more) in peripherals as I do in the tower. :oops:

Well, there's Apple, or a high end gaming rig. . . . . . if your whole ecosystem is Apple though, might as well bite the bullet, grab a jar of KY and head to the Apple store. :-P

Computers have been a hobby longer than photography and I like the power and flexibility of desktops so I still build my own. If I didn't build my desktops, I'd likely get one of the more premium models like Dell's XPS series. The XPS laptops are really nice too. The trick with PCs is to not buy a $200 floor model from Walmart and then complain that it's a piece of junk.

With Apple, you pretty much get what they give you. Don't like it? Too bad. They don't care. With PCs, if your favorite vendor starts doing something you don't like, such as removing useful ports, you have others to choose from. Someone will likely make what you want. To me, it's not even about the Apple tax. It's about getting what I want and not being treated like a child. Apple people fall for Jedi mind tricks. "You don't need USB ports and headphone jacks.". . ."I don't need USB ports and headphone jacks."...."You don't need a 17" laptop.". . . . "I don't need a 17" laptop."

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 12, 2017 22:01 |  #9

mike_d wrote in post #18471539 (external link)
Computers have been a hobby longer than photography and I like the power and flexibility of desktops so I still build my own. If I didn't build my desktops, I'd likely get one of the more premium models like Dell's XPS series. The XPS laptops are really nice too. The trick with PCs is to not buy a $200 floor model from Walmart and then complain that it's a piece of junk.

With Apple, you pretty much get what they give you. Don't like it? Too bad. They don't care. With PCs, if your favorite vendor starts doing something you don't like, such as removing useful ports, you have others to choose from. Someone will likely make what you want. To me, it's not even about the Apple tax. It's about getting what I want and not being treated like a child. Apple people fall for Jedi mind tricks. "You don't need USB ports and headphone jacks.". . ."I don't need USB ports and headphone jacks."...."You don't need a 17" laptop.". . . . "I don't need a 17" laptop."

:-P:-P

Yeah, I'd have to agree there. I think there are some people who really just want to buy something and not worry about it. It's hard to walk into a Best Buy or Walmart, buy a computer, and not have issues with it. They tend to be cheap and loaded with bloatware as they are built to a price point. I have two HP all-in-ones that I bought for my daughters. They've been flawless since day one, but we spent the money to get top of the line units. We originally bought some cheap $200 laptops and the girls couldn't even run their school website on them. Ugh. I can completely sympathize with the mentality of wanting something that just works. Don't we all? Apple keeps it simple. No need to do any research, spec the unit out yourself, custom order it, or have to load a clean copy of the OS. As long as you're willing to shell out the cash, you'll get something that will do what it says it will. For people who don't want to spend time doing research, or building their own unit, or custom ordering a unit, there is a lot to be said about just putting up the cash and walking out the door. Assuming it meets your needs.

What kills me is when I see people go from cheap Walmart computers to Apple and then assume that all the issues they had were from the fact that it was a windows computer.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by davesrose.
Oct 13, 2017 09:03 |  #10

When it comes to PC laptops, there are some nice PC options that can be more powerful and/or cheaper. If you like the Apple Mac for the design, the HP Spectre series looks even more designer. If you're looking for shear horsepower, there are PC "workstation" or "gaming" laptops that offer higher specs (workstation laptops can come with Nvidia Quadro cards for 10-bit color in PS or offering faster video rendering or better stability for 3D apps). I am involved with 3D animation, and since more software is written for PC, have always stayed with PCs for my computer needs. It can be quite a bit cheaper to build a dual processor Xeon workstation then trying to buy one. It is a bit more technical, especially if you're trying to configure a RAID configuration...but I do like learning and having control of the system. With laptops, there's also many different options now (other on the Windows platform or Google platform). I now have two laptops for different roles. I have one Dell Precision laptop that's my 3D animation laptop. I have a lighter 2-in-1 Lenovo Yoga for drawing on the screen, and general purpose travel laptop. When it comes to user ease, I think the Mac OS and Windows 10 are about on par with one another. There can be elements of each that aren't intuitive, but they will work for people out of the box and with any new software. I have friends with Macs that I sometimes help with issues. Digging into setup folders can be just as cumbersome as going into Windows registry. The main argument for the Mac is better security: since it's less popular then the PC, there aren't many viruses written for it, and the OS is harder to exploit. However, viruses have come out, and Mac users shouldn't assume they're immune to viruses/malware.

I've had an Apple iPad for awhile. I used to have an android phone, so that I could preview different OSes while developing websites. When the phone died, I decided to get an iPhone for better battery life. And yesterday, I received an Apple Watch to go along with the phone. So I'm now totally in the Apple iOS eco-system. The iPhone has some nice features: the only main thing I'm missing from the android is no local file manager. The watch has a really nice interface compared to my previous android watch. While iOS 11 is a nice upgrade, I've been surprised how many bugs were present with the initial release. Even though it's hardly been a month, Apple has released 3 bug fixes. Since they have their own proprietary hardware, it should be easier for them to ensure there's no bugs with their hardware: maybe there was too much pressure and they released too early.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,930 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Oct 14, 2017 15:04 |  #11

Are you looking for feedback on Apple products, or an Apple vs PC debate? Because, you will not get sound advice from a windows user by asking them about Apple products. Apple computers are built for working people, if you want to tinker and rebuild your computer so you can brag about having the newest processor, then Apple computers aren't for you. If you want a stable platform to run your business on, Apple is the better computer.

They "Apple Tax" is a myth, you can't build a 5K All-In-One for less than you would pay for an iMac. You can build a computer for less, but not one with the same specs as an iMac. You can't find a platform that runs all of your digital devices and allows them to interact the way Apple products do.

Then there's the argument that there aren't MacOS viruses because they aren't as popular as windows. This person obviously doesn't know much about MacOS.

With Apple, you could get a high end MacBook Pro and a 5K monitor to run your business, no need for anything else, it will last a very long time and still have value when you're ready to upgrade.

The new MacBook Pro is well worth the money. They are light but powerful, and very stable. You won't have to buy another OS upgrade, and it will work very well with your other devices. I wasn't a fan of the touch bar until I tried it. I love that you can program specific functions in LR and PS. It's very handy, I wish Apple would build an iMac compatible keyboard with the touch bar!

Are you a working professional? Get a Mac
Are you a gamer? Get a PC.

Oh...what does BTO mean?

Gear
Websiteexternal link

mike_d
Goldmember
4,997 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Oct 14, 2017 15:38 |  #12

ShotByTom wrote in post #18472621 (external link)
Apple computers are built for working people,

Are you a working professional? Get a Mac

I must be imagining all those businesses I see being run on PCs.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 14, 2017 17:03 |  #13

I’ve been avoiding a new Mac laptop for a long time. I just do my editing at home. Every update they’ve done recently leaves a lot to be desired. I’d love more that 16GB of RAM... but no, they won’t let me. The OLED strip above the keyboard is a novelty I don’t need. I’ll wait a bit more.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Osa713.
Oct 14, 2017 18:01 |  #14

If you plan to stay with Mac and you don’t like the touch bar and the new keys look for the previous model that is topped out spec wise.

I have the 12 inch MacBook as my edit on the go/tether soloution and it works well because it’s super light and not my main machine for editing.

I have a 21.5 inch iMac that is starting to lag slightly when opening files in PS from the LR develop module and I could use an upgrade but I will wait a bit more. My problem was always wanting the new and not truly needing it.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,930 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Oct 14, 2017 20:42 as a reply to mike_d's post |  #15

Yup, the business and government agencies that accept the lowest bid and are running windows 7. This is a photography forum, by "working professional" I assumed everyone on this photography forum would think photographers as I did....but then, for some reason a bunch of gamers like to come on here and take up the apple vs window fights.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links

1,143 views & 9 likes for this thread
Laptop help (Mac) upgrade
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.