Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 12 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 15:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

rokinon 14mm f2.8

Evertking
Joined Jul 2016
Oct 12, 2017 15:06 |  #1

I am looking for a wider lens for landscapes and Astro stuff and on a budget. The first lens that caught my eye was the rokinon 14mm f2.8 but was reading that it can be difficult getting ND filters for that one.
Then I am left with canons 24,28 and 35 non L lens.
I was thinking that maybe someone owns these or has used some of these could help out.
I will just use it for landscapes, night Photography and would love to get NDs for LE day shots.

cutwater
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
near Saratoga Springs, NY
Oct 13, 2017 10:16 |  #2

Will you be using it on a full frame body?

Fotodiox has the Wonderpana system so it's pretty easy now to put NDs on the Rok 14.

If you tilt the 14 up or down, the distortion is magnified. You can fix some of it in post. There is a lot more distortion than my 16-35 f/4 at 16mm.

Some folks say the Rok 24 f/1.4 is better for astro because it's faster. 24mm can be a bit limiting depending on your scene, but the guys that like it seem to shoot panos with it to get the wider field of view.

I have a 14 with the focus confirmation chip, but tend to use the 16-35 more for landscapes because I have a Lee filter system that fits it and did not want to invest in the Wonderpana just for the 14. I have not used it for astro yet but hope to this fall.

Websiteexternal link flickrexternal link 500pxexternal link FaceBookexternal link

Steelydan
Joined Mar 2005
Waterford City,Ireland
Oct 29, 2017 14:03 |  #3

I use it without ND Filters and so far it works out for me. In saying that, it has only seen wooded areas where i can achieve at least 4 seconds exposure.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Slainte
John

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 29, 2017 14:12 |  #4

Evertking wrote in post #18471280 (external link)
I am looking for a wider lens for landscapes and Astro stuff and on a budget. The first lens that caught my eye was the rokinon 14mm f2.8 but was reading that it can be difficult getting ND filters for that one.
Then I am left with canons 24,28 and 35 non L lens.
I was thinking that maybe someone owns these or has used some of these could help out.
I will just use it for landscapes, night Photography and would love to get NDs for LE day shots.

Heya,

15mm F4 will do the job, razor sharp wide open, stupid sharp stopped down, can focus at macro distances (real macro) and is also a fully manual lens. Takes normal 77mm threaded circular filters. Dirt cheap gem that is a clone of the Venus 15mm macro lens, minus the tilt-shift mechanism, making it super inexpensive. But the optics are very good.

https://www.amazon.com ...eywords=opteka+15mm​+canon (external link)

Again, it's a clone of the Venus 15mm F4 macro, minus the tilt-shift. Here's a few thousand photo samples:

https://www.flickr.com​/groups/2784583@N25/po​ol/ (external link)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

286 views & 0 likes for this thread
rokinon 14mm f2.8
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.