Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts
Thread started 13 Oct 2017 (Friday) 13:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POPTONE (ex bauhaus/love and rockets/tonesontail) Montreal oct 2017

RandallB
Joined Mar 2013
Montreal
Oct 13, 2017 13:18 |  #1

Was really happy to shoot this show. The guys were a big influence on me musically back in the day. Was given full access to venue/stage. I was pretty much told to do my thing with a few specific shots requested by the band. Here's a few of Daniel Ash. Plenty more shots if anyone wants to see them. The lighting was pretty crazy. Everything from black light/single colour washes/bright bursts and everything in between.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

sponsored links
BushWacker
Goldmember
1,518 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Oct 13, 2017 15:08 |  #2

Where are some other shots? Not to be too critical but these 2 aren't doing much (for me at least). The first one is magenta washed out (technically) and the angle of the shot from up above with the artist looking down seems counter productive. Rule of thirds would help here too.

The 2nd one with the artists' back to the shot and 1/2 the shot is significantly over exposed isn't a real winner (for me) either.

These are certainly my personal preferences and not intended to offend but mentioned as suggestions to help improve them.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2013
Montreal
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RandallB with reason 'spelinngg'.
Oct 13, 2017 15:29 |  #3

BushWacker wrote in post #18472029 (external link)
Where are some other shots? Not to be too critical but these 2 aren't doing much (for me at least). The first one is magenta washed out (technically) and the angle of the shot from up above with the artist looking down seems counter productive. Rule of thirds would help here too.

The 2nd one with the artists' back to the shot and 1/2 the shot is significantly over exposed isn't a real winner (for me) either.

These are certainly my personal preferences and not intended to offend but mentioned as suggestions to help improve them.

Well the band and management were extremely happy.

The first shot is representitive of the live show. I wasnt going for a text book "proper" exposure. I am trying to convey what it was like at that given moment. Capturing the energy, style and vibe of the band and individual players. This stance is a classic "Daniel Ash" (I dont know if you are familiar with the band or their history- if not look them up and you will get it).

The second shot was requested by the band. They wanted shots from behind and the side of the stage showing the crowd. The best time for this was when the lighting guy backlit the band with the flash pots. I felt with the large amount of empty stage space in the "overexposed area" keeps your focus on Daniel and the audience.

When I shoot live shows I always want to capture the vibe and the moment. Once we learn the rules we are free to break them. Artistic choices often break rules. These were all choices and not errors. If I shot this the same way I shot a jazz trio it wouldnt have worked.

No offense taken by the way.

6D w/Vello grip, 650 w/Canon grip, 85 1.8, 16-35L, 40mm 2.8, 100mm 2.8 L Macro Broncolor Siros 400S
BOWIE RIP!

RandallB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2013
Montreal
Post has been edited 1 month ago by RandallB.
Oct 13, 2017 15:50 |  #4

Here's another example of the lighting- many tunes used only blue. It gave an almost comic book look to the band. (love and rockets took their name from a comic book) Now- dont get me wrong- I normally hate this lighting but it is the bands choice and it is my job to capture it. (and yes I know part of his hand is missing but it doesnt degrade the shot)

HOSTED PHOTO

BOWIE RIP!

BushWacker
Goldmember
1,518 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Lake Tahoe, USA
Oct 14, 2017 01:25 |  #5

Very good I'm glad you are not offended because I tried to be as careful as I can not to do so. I'm sure with full access you were able to obtain some other perspectives and of course it is not me that needs to be happy...

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Flickr (external link)| Gear List --------------

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
5,366 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Nov 21, 2017 19:09 |  #6

Yeah I feel that second one is too blown on the highlights. It looks like you are on the very edge of recovery tho :(

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links

328 views & 0 likes for this thread
POPTONE (ex bauhaus/love and rockets/tonesontail) Montreal oct 2017
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.