Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 14 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 04:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

7D upgrade, 1Dx?

Rimol
60 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Norway
Oct 14, 2017 04:29 |  #1

Ok guys, im really considering upgrading my 7D to a Full Frame body, i really like the shooting speed of the 7D since i like shooting at the racetrack, sports, kids in motion and stuff like that. I also do landskapes and potraits.

1Dx, it seems like the perfect camera to me, getting a second hand and the price (ore wife) will kill me.
I got a 70-200mm 2.8 that i love so i guess its a exelent match.

Oh well why do i even bother writing this? I know i’m going to buy it anyway, just need your guy’s opinion (approval,motivation etc...)

But is the diffrence worth it? Never really tried a Full Frame properly and i’m doing this just as a hobby. Is the 1Dx overkill? Is the 1Dx getting kinda old?

Canon Eos 7d Gripped, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. 2x Yongnuo 560 III

sponsored links
footman
Joined Dec 2006
Camberley UK
Oct 14, 2017 05:57 |  #2

The difference between the two bodies is substantial, I'm assuming you're talking about the 7D and not the 7D Mkii.
I found the 7D to be less than appealing to me when dealing with poor light situations, in the UK that can account for about half the year:lol:
Since getting the 1DX I find that I can overcome that far more easily, the full frame sensor is simply beautiful.

The downside is that it costs much more, is much heavier and has a noisy (to me) shutter. You'll love it!

My Flickrexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 14, 2017 06:11 |  #3

I would suggest finding a 1d4, you will love it over the original 7d.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

RhodyPhotos
Joined Jun 2014
providence, ri
Oct 14, 2017 06:27 |  #4

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18472365 (external link)
I would suggest finding a 1d4, you will love it over the original 7d.

My suggestion exactly. I shot with the 7D1 for a couple of years before getting the 1D4 a couple of weeks ago. Its a beast of a camera. Not full frame but halfway there :-)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 14, 2017 08:35 |  #5

Heya,

One thing to consider is going from APS-C to Full Frame with regards to your focal lengths. It's a lot easier to go wider on full frame, but it's harder and more costly to go longer. If 200mm on APS-C was about "right" for you, and you were always at the end of the long side of the focal length of your 70-200, on a full frame, you'll be really struggling for reach, so you will lose significant pixel density on your subjects. This is something to consider. If you were often on the wide end, then maybe this isn't a problem.

Personally I went from a 7D to a full frame 1D series for lots of things, and eventually went back to a crop for my action/birds/wildlife because I preferred the combination of smaller, faster, lighter glass with a crop, than dealing with a full frame and a huge long piece of glass. Just my preference. So I keep a small full frame (5D series) for portrait and stuff, general day to day shooting. And I use my 1D crop for birds/wildlife/action. The pixel density difference was enough that I sold my full frame 1D, and went back to a crop 1D.

The 1DX is a great camera for action and low light shooting. Can't go wrong with it. It's still a little expensive I think on the used market ($2.5kish). Mean while, for that price, you could get a 1DIV ($1kish) or 7D2 or 80D (less than $1k) and a 6D ($850ish) for less than that cost of a 1DX and have an action setup and a full frame setup for portrait/landscape and two cameras.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 14, 2017 09:12 |  #6

What’s overkill? :-P

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Rimol
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Norway
Oct 14, 2017 12:11 |  #7

Yes my 7d is the first one.
1D 4 is attempting but since its 1.3 crop its not just as attempting as a FF
i know i might have issues with "only" 200mm on a FF body but i've got an 2x extender so that should help me those times i really need it. And im not planning to sell the 7D either ;)

In Norway we have really bad light at the winter, yes in the north we got weeks without seeing the sun at all so thats just another reason to buy :)

Canon Eos 7d Gripped, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 10-20mm. Canon 70-200mm f/2.8. 2x Yongnuo 560 III

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 1 month ago by TeamSpeed.
Oct 14, 2017 21:50 |  #8

Don't let the 1.3 crop fool you, you will never see it in your results other that a bit less FOV. The 1d4 looks like full frame, it's that good.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 15, 2017 04:28 |  #9

I'd be the odd ball.....I suggest looking at the Canon 80D. The image quality is very impressive coming from a Canon crop sensor. It's a very big jump from a 7Dmk1.

If your a hobbyist you'll be able to do a mixed bag of different types of photography from killer dual pixel AF for moving subjects to stills. Touchscreen is extremely well executed on this body and AF speed is like a smaller sensor" 5dmk3" AF system.

80d may not be a machine gun fps beast like the 1dmk4 but the newer sensor 80D produces very good image quality and dynamic range that almost has a full frame meaty file that is without a doubt a massive jump from your current 7d. One thing the 80d lacks is dual memory cards which the 7dmk2 has.

I'd certainly anticipate what canon will offer if they ever make a 7dmk3. It' be more like an 80D on steroids with joystick implementation on that body.

If you really want full frame and great AF the best price point in the Canon world is to buy a 5mk3. Terrible AF for family documentation video but adequate fps for most family/casual sports shooter or awesome portrait work with high iso capabilities.

Have fun!!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Rimol
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Norway
Oct 15, 2017 05:27 |  #10

oh you guy's arent doint this easy for me :p

The 1D 4 seems like a good alternative however its no one to by used is Norway :rolleyes:

The 80D seems like a really nice camera but im really looking for that FF upgrade

Looking at all theese canon bodies and specs make me feel im coming from the stone age with my 7D mk1 :-P

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 15, 2017 07:17 |  #11

Rimol wrote in post #18472987 (external link)
but im really looking for that FF upgrade

What is a FF upgrade? Do you know what you're even trying to get from the sensor? I'm not trying to be rude, just asking legit why you think a FF sensor is the way to go. There's a LOT of misinformation from the past regarding FF vs APS-C & APS-H that doesn't apply to today's sensors. It's not a magic bullet.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Rimol
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Norway
Oct 15, 2017 07:38 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #12

im not taking it as rude :)

The reason i think the FF sensor is an upgrade is because i'm dealing alot with low light situations. Also alot of landscaping
As i said i've never tried a FF sensor so im a bit curious too, how much diffrence it is from a crop.

I know its all up to the man behind the camera and all that but i dont see much of advantages for a cropped sensor besides that it's cropped. I'm not planning to give up my 7D anyway so for those times i need the crop sensor i'll just take it along :)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 15, 2017 10:45 |  #13

Rimol wrote in post #18472348 (external link)
Ok guys, im really considering upgrading my 7D to a Full Frame body, i really like the shooting speed of the 7D since i like shooting at the racetrack, sports, kids in motion and stuff like that. I also do landskapes and potraits.

Rimol wrote in post #18472539 (external link)
In Norway we have really bad light at the winter, yes in the north we got weeks without seeing the sun at all so thats just another reason to buy :)

Rimol wrote in post #18473038 (external link)
The reason i think the FF sensor is an upgrade is because i'm dealing alot with low light situations. Also alot of landscaping
As i said i've never tried a FF sensor so im a bit curious too, how much diffrence it is from a crop.

You've done a great job of explaining what you shoot and what kind of light you shoot in - that gives us an accurate concept of what your needs are. And your needs - with your fast-action sports photography and your landscape photography and the very low levels of light you shoot in well, you need it all! I mean, the diverse nature of your shooting scenarios pretty much means that you demand everything out of a camera body. And for that reason I think that you have been on the right track all along - the 1Dx seems to be the very best overall solution for your many shooting needs, and will not cause you to compromise very much in any area.

If I were in your shoes, however, I think that instead of trying to get one camera body to do it all, I would get a used 7D2 for your fast action needs and a used 6D for your low light and landscape needs. The total cost of both bodies should be a bit less than a used 1Dx, and you will have both types of needs covered in a wonderful way.

I think that given your need for the absolutely best sensor performance possible (within your budget), you may gain some useful knowledge from this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=FTuBr0W0Zhw (external link)

The video's title leads you to believe it is just about the 7D Mark 2, but Tony does a really good job here in explaining a lot of things about what is really important in sensor capability and what isn't. And he compares the 7D2 to other Canon bodies like the 1Dx and the 5D3, and in these comparisons you will learn a lot. One thing that you will come to realize is that you are on the right track with wanting a full frame sensor - Tony explains why the smaller crop sensors simply cannot match up to full frame sensors inasmuch as DXO Mark types of image quality are concerned.

It is important to note that the video is a few years old, and therefore does not include the very latest Canon offerings such as the 5D4, 6D2, or 1Dx2.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 15, 2017 15:57 |  #14

Rimol wrote in post #18473038 (external link)
im not taking it as rude :)

I know its all up to the man behind the camera and all that but i dont see much of advantages for a cropped sensor besides that it's cropped. I'm not planning to give up my 7D anyway so for those times i need the crop sensor i'll just take it along :)

If you picked up a 6dmk1 for non sports documentation you will probably have the 7d sit in the gear bag. The cleaner files is a very big jump from the 7dmk1.

Photography is all about skill set and gear. If ultimate clean files is your concern newer better gear trump older technology gear in most cases. If your printing all of your digital files and judge skill of composition many older tech gear will provide the tools to capture the world in digital file form.

Price point I'd suggest the 5dmk3 as a make shift sports camera and portrait camera with excellent high iso capabilities.

For giggles play with an 80D and you'd be floored in the massive jump in tech Canon has developed in that prosumer body. Price wise it's something to consider. 7dmk2 with dual memory cards is also another consideration.

If you buy a 5dmk3 you will not touch your 7d at all. If you buy a 6dmk1 or mk2 you will probably want the 7D kicking around as it will still feel extremely responsive compared to the 6d series. However the zinger is you'll yearn the 6D image quality when you ever touch or use your 7d. This is why I suggest the 5dmk3 as the best compromise of price and performance for a jack of all applications.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Oct 15, 2017 18:42 |  #15

Just my 2 Krone!

I used to own the Canon 1D4 and currently own the Canon 7D2 and 1DX + have used the 7D.

If it is within your budget, and you don't mind the weight, then get the 1DX - it is just better. AF/ISO/IQ/responsivene​ss/controls etc etc.

My photography is VERY focal length limited (Canon don't make any longer lenses than my 800 mm) and it is rare that my 7D2 can out-reach my 1DX. If the light is just right then it will, but that doesn't happen too often and it isn't by much. Before the Nay Sayers dive in - the 7D2 and 1DX are my current cameras so I might have some idea of what they will do.

Whilst the AF on the 7D2 is very good the 1DX AF is much more reliable/faster to lock on and tracks better. There are other little touches like the better quality controls, for example I rarely (if ever) switch out of "machine gun" mode as it is quite easy to get single shots even with the highest frame rate set - one less thing to think about?

As you might have guessed the 1DX did blow my socks off! I rather like it to say the least. The 1D4 is very good but lags behind a little in all respects - still an excellent camera but just not quite as good - though the battery life is much better. Again my 7D2 is a very good camera but mine is a rarely used backup.

Remember that these are just my opinions/experiences, if I didn't have the 1DX I would be very happy with my 7D2 - but I do have the 1DX so I am not.;-)a

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

1,043 views & 11 likes for this thread
7D upgrade, 1Dx?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.