Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 14 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 08:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Are The Odds Canon...

mdripper
96 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 14, 2017 08:05 |  #1

What are the odds that Canon comes out with a FF mirrorless EF mount body that shoots at least 10fps, has duel pixel Af for video, killer stills AF and a tilt screen? Sooooo basically a Canon A9 hahaha. The 1DX II would be perfect but I need a smaller lighter package to fit on a handheld gimbal at times.

5D mk III || 7D mk II || Canon 50 f/1.4 || 70-200 f/2.8 II L || 17-40 f/4 L
XPLOR 600 || 600ex-rt || a couple R2 Speedlights ||

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 14, 2017 08:14 |  #2

Don't hold your breath.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Oct 14, 2017 08:32 |  #3

Your expectations of weight savings... overexpectation?
Difference between A9 and 5DIV is 7.4 oz., and then you still need an adapter to space the Canon lens forward because the lens itself does not position the Canon optics the proper distance from the sensor for its FL rating, further reducing any weight advantage by another 1-2 oz.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mdripper
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 14, 2017 09:56 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #4

I'm confused by your comment. Weight different between an A9 and a 1DX II is 673 grams for the A9 to 1530 grams for the 1DX. that enough of a difference. Not sure where you got a 5d my iv from. Also I use a 3 axis gimbal which won't support a 1DX but would support an A9 which is why it would be great if canon released such a camera so I wouldn't have to sell all of my canon gear,l and lose money in the process switching to Sony. I'd even be fine if canon had a Nikon D850 competitor.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,252 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 14, 2017 10:28 |  #5

what's wrong with just going with the A9 or the upcoming A7III?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mdripper
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 14, 2017 10:31 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #6

I'm close but it would be way easier and cheaper if I could keep my canon glass. I've read the adapters hurt performance and aren't very reliable.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 1 month ago by EverydayGetaway.
Oct 14, 2017 12:05 |  #7

mdripper wrote in post #18472457 (external link)
I'm confused by your comment. Weight different between an A9 and a 1DX II is 673 grams for the A9 to 1530 grams for the 1DX. that enough of a difference. Not sure where you got a 5d my iv from. Also I use a 3 axis gimbal which won't support a 1DX but would support an A9 which is why it would be great if canon released such a camera so I wouldn't have to sell all of my canon gear,l and lose money in the process switching to Sony. I'd even be fine if canon had a Nikon D850 competitor.

His point is that a DSLR body isn't that much lighter by itself, a 1DX is intentionally large due to the vertical grip integration.

mdripper wrote in post #18472477 (external link)
I'm close but it would be way easier and cheaper if I could keep my canon glass. I've read the adapters hurt performance and aren't very reliable.

It would be a few hundred bucks cheaper since you wouldn't need the Sigma or Metabones adapter, but being Canon their camera would cost hundreds more than the Sony anyway, so really the "cheaper" argument is void. As for adapters hurting performance and being unreliable... I don't think that's the case anymore. My friend uses Canon glass on his a6500 all the time and loves it.

I seriously don't get people's desire for an EF mount MILC... that defeats the purpose of going mirrorless. Canon already has an excellent EF to EF-M adapter, and it's cheap. They've already proven that tech, there's zero reason to make an EF mount MILC, if they did make it it'd be entirely because of poorly informed consumers having an inherent bias against their own EF adapters. They could even sell the adapter with the camera, if all you use is EF glass than just leave the adapter permanently attached.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 14, 2017 12:11 |  #8

How long to you want to wait?

Its widely speculated that an announcement will occur at Photokina 2018 which is late September 2018. But the announcement often precedes the actual hardware by a few months, so you are likely looking at a year, more or less.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,172 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 14, 2017 12:44 |  #9

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18472534 (external link)
His point is that a DSLR body isn't that much lighter by itself, a 1DX is intentionally large due to the vertical grip integration.

You got my point, exactly.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

alex66
200 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Oct 15, 2017 14:11 |  #10

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18472534 (external link)

It would be a few hundred bucks cheaper since you wouldn't need the Sigma or Metabones adapter, but being Canon their camera would cost hundreds more than the Sony anyway, so really the "cheaper" argument is void. As for adapters hurting performance and being unreliable... I don't think that's the case anymore. My friend uses Canon glass on his a6500 all the time and loves it.

I seriously don't get people's desire for an EF mount MILC... that defeats the purpose of going mirrorless. Canon already has an excellent EF to EF-M adapter, and it's cheap. They've already proven that tech, there's zero reason to make an EF mount MILC, if they did make it it'd be entirely because of poorly informed consumers having an inherent bias against their own EF adapters. They could even sell the adapter with the camera, if all you use is EF glass than just leave the adapter permanently attached.

I agree, it seems pointless to use the EF mount when a good adaptor can be made, if they were clever the mount would have identical pins to EF lenses. It seems fairly simple however there is I hope a decent reason why they can not do it via a dumb tube, I presume the lenses in existence tell the camera what they are. Whatever Canon or Nikon for that matter it has to be an extremely good camera at least on par with whatever others are available on the market, oh and a good few lenses on launch.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 1 month ago by mystik610.
Oct 15, 2017 14:58 |  #11

mdripper wrote in post #18472477 (external link)

Adapted lenses perform really well with the a9's AF system. Very close to native, and they recently added eye-AF with adapted lens via the latest firmware.

I've shot a couple weddings with the 24-70II on the a9 and it worked perfectly.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

elitejp
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Oct 15, 2017 23:26 |  #12

^Wow! I did not know that. Is that inclusive of other sony bodies as well or just the a9. ive been itching for a a7r2 for quite a long time. Eye Af and IS on all my lenses not to mention higher pixel count better DR and a smaller body/lens combo when needed.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Oct 16, 2017 08:49 |  #13

elitejp wrote in post #18473635 (external link)
^Wow! I did not know that. Is that inclusive of other sony bodies as well or just the a9. ive been itching for a a7r2 for quite a long time. Eye Af and IS on all my lenses not to mention higher pixel count better DR and a smaller body/lens combo when needed.

The a9 (for now). PDAF system got a nice upgrade with the a9 so adapted glass works really well. Video focus is very good too, and behaves like dual pixel in terms of creating that smooth pull focus. All rumors seem to indicate that the MKIII bodies will inherit the a9 AF system so I suspect that this will be the case for newer bodies going forward.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

mdripper
THREAD ­ STARTER
96 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Oct 16, 2017 22:14 as a reply to mystik610's post |  #14

Yeah didnt know that! Thats huge!

tdlavigne
304 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Oct 24, 2017 19:21 |  #15

FF mirrorless? I'd say fairly likely. The only problem is Canon is #1...and has been for a long time IIRC. So there's no need to rush into it. They'll do it eventually I'm sure, who knows when though.

FF Mirrorless, EF mount , 10fps etc etc like you want? Again, possible...but first you need FF mirrorless. EF mount I'd say would be less likely but I suppose anything is possible.

I doubt they'll start making any really innovative products until they're in danger of losing a big chunk of marketshare. Nikon tried with the awesome sensors and hi res, hi DR cameras...and I'm sure it was noticed by Canon...but not enough for them to break a sweat. Sony is doing the same, but still not really a threat. Until there is a real threat Canon can just move at their own pace and slowly drizzle out new tech as necessary.

sponsored links

1,181 views & 8 likes for this thread
What Are The Odds Canon...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.