Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch
Thread started 14 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 16:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What is your minimum price? Drives me NUTS!

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 14, 2017 16:12 |  #1

I buy and sell a lot of gear on POTN, E-Bay, and CraigsList.

Most folks respond with an offer (full or a bit less), or just a request to inspect the item. About 10% of the inquiries I get are:

"What is the minimum you'd take?"

That just smokes my goat. My first inclination is to respond, "$5 more than the most you would pay!"

To my mind, if you are interested, say so. If you want to negotiate a better deal, say so. If you want to make an offer, do so. Since I can't respond in a civil manner, I just delete the message. They have expressed no interest, the don't want to inspect, they have made no offer. Why should I bother?

Was Sagen Sie?

Tom

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Oct 14, 2017 21:44 |  #2

Most folks in USA have no comprehension of the process of barter/negotiation of price! Just as so many have no comprehension of not plodding along at 60mph in the left lane or speeding at 80mph in the right lane of the highway.

When faced with the 'what is your lowest price?' question, I would merely respond, "Make me an offer, if sincerely interested." That person probably has no idea how to otherwise get to a lower purchase price, so help the uninformed.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 14, 2017 22:24 |  #3

When asked that question, you can come back with any number you like. Your number doesn't have to be the lowest you would go. Or maybe it is the lowest you could go that moment. Then the bargaining (or otherwise) can begin.

That's my logical advice. I often don't follow it myself, because I am not a good salesman. :-)

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

monty28428
Cream of the Crop
9,929 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Carolina Beach
Oct 14, 2017 23:55 |  #4

Ich sage tschüß

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 15, 2017 02:38 |  #5

I seem to collect more gear than I sell, but I did sell 3 lenses here at the same time and a new 7D2 with a grip and too many Sterlingtek batteries.

Anyway, a guy offered to buy all three lenses for a bit less on each lens. Since he was buying them all, it was a good deal.. one package, less hassle, less cost.

I think Wilt is right. Bartering and price negotiation isn't part of our culture. I lived in Indonesia for a couple years right after High School. Bargaining is an art there. After you get used to the concept, it can be quite fun. Both parties get to act insulted at "that" price, etc.

Maybe some of those reluctant bidders will read this thread and come up with a real offer instead of beating around the bush. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 15, 2017 03:18 |  #6

Would it be OK to just reiterate my asking price?

Tom

graham121
Joined Feb 2013
Pakenham, VIC, Aus
Post has been edited 1 month ago by graham121.
Oct 15, 2017 03:27 |  #7

I used to get that a lot when I was in retail.

My standard answer was ' rrp as that is the price where I make the most commission!'

That used to sort out the tyre kickers from the serious buyers real quick.

When it comes to selling used gear, I will usually go,with some thing on the lines of 'I am asking a fair price but if you want to make a reasonable offer that is lower please let me know what it is and I will consider it'.

That again sorts out the serious buyers from time wasters.

A coupla bodies and a few lenses

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 15, 2017 06:46 |  #8

Buyers from time wasters. That is my issue! Serious buyers usually start with a serious offer, or at least, want to check out the item. The other stuff is wasting my time.

Tom

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 15, 2017 09:54 |  #9

The things I've sold were priced very well to start with. Real buyers knew they were getting a good deal. I took a few dollars off to make them feel a bit better but not enough to make me upset with the final sales price.

I put in a bid on eBay for my second 1D IV.... showed him another 1D IV with fewer shutter actuations. He took my bid immediately. And btw.... I couldn't believe the condition of the camera. Looked new in the box... new when I took it out too.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 15, 2017 09:55 |  #10

Tom,

I am with you though.... delete the IM if they aren't capable of making an actual offer. If they are serious, they'll send another one.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Oct 15, 2017 11:07 |  #11

What is much worse (IMO) is "Is this item still available?" If I don't ignore such questions, my answer is "Yes", but in almost all such cases, the customer never contacts me again.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Wilt
39,150 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Oct 15, 2017 11:09 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18472941 (external link)
Would it be OK to just reiterate my asking price?

It is indicative of someone who has dug in their heels on price, vs. the 'more inviting, "Make me a reasonable offer!"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
39,150 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 15, 2017 11:12 |  #13

Bassat wrote in post #18473019 (external link)
Buyers from time wasters. That is my issue! Serious buyers usually start with a serious offer, or at least, want to check out the item. The other stuff is wasting my time.

Those with poor negotiating skills might use the "How low will you go?" question as a pathetically poor way to assess "Are you willing to come down from that price, or are you firm on the price?"

Bassat
THREAD ­ STARTER
6,565 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 15, 2017 11:47 |  #14

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18473101 (external link)
Tom,

I am with you though.... delete the IM if they aren't capable of making an actual offer. If they are serious, they'll send another one.

On POTN, I agree with you; no offer, no sense in wasting my time. Lots of times on CL, I'll get, "I'd like to see it." without an offer. That is OK on CL, where a local meeting can be arranged. Most times someone bothers to meet, they make an offer if the equipment is in stated condition. On POTN, I price aggressively because there are often multiple same items for sale. My goal is move the item quickly, not get every last possible $$ out it. I usually buy used/refurbed, and seldom lose large on an item.

Archibald wrote in post #18473162 (external link)
What is much worse (IMO) is "Is this item still available?" If I don't ignore such questions, my answer is "Yes", but in almost all such cases, the customer never contacts me again.

Agreed. All that question gets is "yes". A response to that is quite rare.

Wilt wrote in post #18473165 (external link)
It is indicative of someone who has dug in their heels on price, vs. the 'more inviting, "Make me a reasonable offer!"

I sort of agree, but I find both answers a bit flippant. If they wanted to make an offer, they would have. They are asking what is the least I'll sell it for. Most times, I'm never going to hear from them anyway. "$5 more than you'd be willing to pay" is in the same category.

Wilt wrote in post #18473167 (external link)
Those with poor negotiating skills might use the "How low will you go?" question as a pathetically poor way to assess "Are you willing to come down from that price, or are you firm on the price?"

On POTN, I ignore the question and delete the IM. For CL, I already have customer who was interested enough to meet right in front of me. I always throw them a bone. Yesterday, a gentleman showed up to by my 24-105 STM. He played with it some and asked the 'how low' question. I posted $300 on CL, I threw him $275 (after some hemming and hawing). He immediately reached for his wallet and handed me the cash. I had it listed for $250 here, including shipping and PP fees.

Sidebar:
The guy was mounting the 24-105 on his camera in my garage, didn't tighten it all the way and it fell from chest height onto the concrete floor. The front lens cap and hood went flying. I maintained my composure while he picked it up, while profusely apologizing. I fully expected that I now owned a broken lens. It work fine. He bought it.

Moral of the story? The lens had a HOOD on it, not a filter. Landing on the objective end, the HOOD flew off, absorbing some of the impact energy. Had it landed on the objective end WITHOUT a HOOD, and WITH A FILTER, I now be the proud owner of a broken filter, and most likely a broken lens, with smashed filter threads. Been shooting SLRs for 40+ years. Don't use filters (except with a particular purpose) to 'protect' my lenses. I stand by that decision.

Tom

Wilt
39,150 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Oct 15, 2017 12:05 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18473188 (external link)
I sort of agree, but I find both answers a bit flippant. If they wanted to make an offer, they would have. They are asking what is the least I'll sell it for. Most times, I'm never going to hear from them anyway. "$5 more than you'd be willing to pay" is in the same category.

The problem is that (under US social practices) there is no starting indication, had by either side, about willingness to sell at LESS THAN ASKING, so the buyer is trying to find out that initial willingness or firmness. That is born out by your own initial reaction of 'a bit flippant', rather than understanding the motive behind the question...to find out willingness to negotiate.

Hypothetical exchange, in a reasonable manner:

Buyer: "Are you will to come down in price, or are you firm?"
Seller: "I'm willing to negotiate"
Buyer: "OK would you accept [asking price less 25%]?"
Seller: "No, that's much too low... how about [asking price less 5%]
Buyer: "Too much for me...What about [asking price less 20%?"
Seller: "Still too low, I need [asking price less 10%]
Buyer: "My last offer is [asking price less 15%]"
Seller: Yes/no.

No ruffling of feathers, merely good old 'bargaining' practices in action.

sponsored links

3,064 views & 34 likes for this thread
What is your minimum price? Drives me NUTS!
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.