Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 16 Oct 2017 (Monday) 10:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Recommended pin light setup for weddings?

oharing
502 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Miami, FL
Oct 16, 2017 10:04 |  #1

My friend is asking me what kind of pin light setup I recommend for wedding table/centerpiece lighting. They are small lights usually set up on poles or hanging from the ceiling all over the room. They purpose to light the wedding tables/centerpieces.

Can you recommend me a reliable brand or guide me to the right direction? Thanks!

Miami Wedding Photographersexternal link

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 16, 2017 10:45 |  #2

For other curious photogs that are not also wedding coordinators or event lighting designers/installers:

http://www.eventdecorn​j.com ...ces-should-have-pin-spots (external link)

Highly focused lights that are set on overhead rigs and aimed at centerpieces. Who knew?!?!?

Might be a nice trick for some hot light or ambient shots to add interest

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Miami, FL
Oct 16, 2017 13:44 |  #3

Exactly! I am looking for the lights which are used to make these type of lighting effects...

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 16, 2017 13:50 as a reply to oharing's post |  #4

I googled a bit more after posting that this morning.

Doesn't look like a DIY job to me. Putting up light rigging is no joke, even if there isn't much weight on it, what happens if uncle bob leans on the post and knocks the whole thing down.

But if you are just looking for a couple of contenuous lights to just mess around with, google "pin spot light"

Something with a fresnel lens should do fine. Focusing by varying the lens/bulb distance would be a nice perk.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Oct 16, 2017 13:52 |  #5

If just for photography, Any reason to not use proper strobes?

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Miami, FL
Oct 18, 2017 14:08 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #6

It is for event lighting. Also, I don't have 10 strobes with me in my bag. It would make sense though.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Oct 19, 2017 07:55 |  #7

oharing wrote in post #18475482 (external link)
It is for event lighting. Also, I don't have 10 strobes with me in my bag. It would make sense though.

I rent if I need to travel far.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

NDAPhoto
150 posts
Joined Jul 2015
California
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by NDAPhoto. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 19, 2017 11:06 |  #8

If your question is how to simulate this lighting for still shots, you can use this micro spotlight:

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com/c/product/11537​15-REG (external link)

You can hold the light off-camera or mount it on a boom. It has built-in barn doors, a diffuser and amber gel, so you can achieve the look you want.

sincity
Joined Nov 2014
Oct 19, 2017 19:20 |  #9

I would think it would require a tighter angle than 30 deg.

I looked at the Altman Lighting website and found out they use angles as small as 4deg and wide as 40deg. Here is what they recommend for floral arrangements and window displays.

LINK~~ https://www.altmanligh​ting.com ...4/MicroFloodDatashe​et.pdf (external link)

oharing
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Miami, FL
Nov 28, 2017 14:20 |  #10

Thanks so much!

sponsored links

3,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommended pin light setup for weddings?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.