Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 00:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New to 7D II, I have a couple of questions

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 19, 2017 00:26 |  #1

LOVE the camera so far, the high ISO ability is amazing. I upgraded form a 40D

1) Can i get a exposure line in the viewfinder (as i am looking thru the eye piece so i can make adjustments to settings while looking thru)? on the 40D i could see what my exposure was going to be while I was pressing the * back button. I have the back button set up, but Have no idea what my exposure is?

2) I have the focus point set on center like I like it, BUT, when i am looking thru the eye piece and use the back button to focus the red square does not light up. When i chimp the picture it shows i indeed did have it there on the picture. How can i, or can i make it show up when hits the focus on the back * button?

i am sure i will have MANY other questions

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,111 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 19, 2017 00:30 |  #2

Canon moves the Exposure indicator for Manual mode to the right side of the viewfinder window, but there is zero indication on the top LCD. You can press the Info button to see exposure settings on the rear LCD, or you can view them on the rear LCD during Live View.

And, via Menu settings, you can get the AF point(s) to illuminate red, in addition to the AF indicator at the lower right of the viewfinder window.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

superdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 19, 2017 00:33 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #3

Got it! now for the center focus point question... can i have it light up when i focus on an object? thru the view finder window?

Newbie still learning

Wilt
40,111 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 19, 2017 00:36 |  #4

superdiver wrote in post #18475777 (external link)
Got it! now for the center focus point question... can i have it light up when i focus on an object? thru the view finder window?

Yes, I highlight that response in my prior reply.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

superdiver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 19, 2017 00:52 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #5

I can't figure out how to make it illuminate... I found the area in the menu, but I can't change the settings

Newbie still learning

Wilt
40,111 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Oct 19, 2017 01:00 |  #6

I think it is:

VF display illumination: Enabled
AF point display during focus: Selected (focused)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
6,561 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Oct 19, 2017 01:23 |  #7

I am not where I can check right now but I don't believe you get the red box in AI Servo. If you are not in one shot, try one shot and see if you get the red focus confirm when using that setting.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Ah-keong
478 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 19, 2017 01:24 |  #8

after reading the manual,

u may want to read this:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com …News-Post.aspx?News=13844 (external link)
https://photographylif​e.com …canon-7d-mark-ii-settings (external link)
http://blog.dojoklo.co​m …ith-recommended-settings/ (external link)

http://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18054737
http://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18203545

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Wilt
40,111 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 19, 2017 11:03 |  #9

Nogo wrote in post #18475801 (external link)
I am not where I can check right now but I don't believe you get the red box in AI Servo. If you are not in one shot, try one shot and see if you get the red focus confirm when using that setting.

Right

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
4,865 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Oct 20, 2017 00:10 |  #10

The red illumination of the AF point is Focus Lock Confirmation. The problem is that focus only locks in One Shot mode (and once locked won't change even if you keep the AF On/Back Button pressed).

In AI Servo focus never locks. As long as you have the AF On pressed it constantly refocuses, so AF is never locked and no red illumination.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 20, 2017 07:12 |  #11

With the fancy new transmissive LCD focus screens to they still show the location of the focus points in black, like you get on the old standard screens? On my 50D in AI Servo I get a red flash to remind me of the active point, but it doesn't light in red, since it is not actually locking on. I could see how not having an indication of the active point/area when trying to focus would be particularly difficult. It's been a while since I looked at any new cameras, and in store they are usually in One Shot anyway, my memory is letting me down here.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
40,111 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2017 13:18 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #12

Alan,

After you have chosen which groups of AF points to use, the currently chosen group does show up in black and the focus locked specific AF point also lights up red...IF you have the options chosen to make the camera do this, and you are not using AI Servo

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,511 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by Bassat.

Oct 27, 2017 14:08 |  #13

OP, have you downloaded the PDF of the user manual? It is way easier to search a PDF on screen than flip through a paper manual.

Tom,
Film gear: Elan 7NE / Elan 7 / EOS T2
Yashica FX-D (x2) & FX-3 Super 2000 / DSB 28mm f/2.8 / 50mm ML f/2 / 135mm ML f/2.8 / Sigma Zoom-gamma II 21-35mm f/3.4.2 / Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 / Tokina 70-210mm ML f/4.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,625 posts
Gallery: 515 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 27, 2017 16:23 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #18482439 (external link)
Alan,

After you have chosen which groups of AF points to use, the currently chosen group does show up in black and the focus locked specific AF point also lights up red...IF you have the options chosen to make the camera do this, and you are not using AI Servo

Sorry let me get this right, if you are in AI Servo you get the configured AF area in black, but no red AF acquired signal, since AF is never actually acquired in AI Servo? In One shot you get the configured AF area in black, and the red indication when AF is acquired? Provided you have made all of the correct settings in the camera AF menus and custom functions. My 50D is the same as my 20D, and I guess your 40D in that you always see the black AF squares, assuming you are using the standard screen. Then in AI Servo the selected starting AF point flashes in red when you initiate AF. In One shot the selected AF point only lights red once it has confirmed AF is achieved, and then stays red until you reinitiate the AF process.

The new AF systems do seem to offer a lot more control, but as always when you have lots of choice settings it up to suit you becomes much harder.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Wilt
40,111 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2017 16:36 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #18482608 (external link)
Sorry let me get this right,

1. if you are in AI Servo you get the configured AF area in black, but no red AF acquired signal, since AF is never actually acquired in AI Servo?
  2. In One shot you get the configured AF area in black, and the red indication when AF is acquired? Provided you have made all of the correct settings in the camera AF menus and custom functions.
  3. My 50D is the same as my 20D, and I guess your 40D in that you always see the black AF squares, assuming you are using the standard screen. Then in AI Servo the selected starting AF point flashes in red when you initiate AF. In One shot the selected AF point only lights red once it has confirmed AF is achieved,
  4. and then stays red until you reinitiate the AF process.

The new AF systems do seem to offer a lot more control, but as always when you have lots of choice settings it up to suit you becomes much harder.

Alan

#1, yes for 7DII
#2, yes for 7DII
#3, same for 40D as your 20D and 50D
#4, not right...the 40D flashes in red in One Shot mode when confirmed AF is achieved but does not 'stay red'...the black AF display remains, the red was only briefly

sponsored links

4,449 views & 8 likes for this thread
New to 7D II, I have a couple of questions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.