Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 19 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 10:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Achieving this look

Strahinja
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Oct 19, 2017 10:18 |  #1

I've come across some photos from the Rohingya crisis in Myanmar. On one hand, I do feel dreadful for using such photos to ask about their style, but, this kind of look is somehow peculiar to crises areas. It looks like TRI-X, but somehow I doubt someone would use film in a situation which can become breaking news.
I might be mistaken, and do forgive my inexperience if so. That being said, if someone can at least explain what I'm seeing on these links in means of post - processing(hopefully, I'm not breaking forum rules, since I'm providing the links not embedding the images) I would be grateful.

https://ichef.bbci.co.​uk ...n/_98352830_boy_get​ty.jpg (external link)

https://ichef.bbci.co.​uk ...362766_camptent_get​ty.jpg (external link)

https://ichef.bbci.co.​uk ...a83-af2e-a033ba601bc1.jpg (external link)

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk ...8379153_ro_sept976-nc.jpg (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 19, 2017 10:56 |  #2

Not having access to the EXIF it is difficult, monochrome conversions would seem odd, but maybe that is what the BBC wanted for some reason. The other thing that comes to mind is that the photographer was shooting with a Leica M Monochrom, the worlds only monochrome only digital rangefinder camera. The Leica M series of cameras has been quite popular with correspondents in war zones since they were introduced in IIRC 1954. The whole idea of the camera is to get that sort of look.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,618 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 29 days ago by Chet.
Oct 19, 2017 11:22 |  #3

You can push clarity and highlights in LR. Drop Saturation to 0, to convert to black and white. Play with shadows and blacks to get look you are after. At least this applies to the 1st image. The NIK filter Silver Efex Pro, which is a free plug-in from Google will work with LR or Photoshop. It can give you many options to play with as well.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 19, 2017 19:16 |  #4

Chet wrote in post #18476044 (external link)
You can push clarity and highlights in LR. Drop Saturation to 0, to convert to black and white. Play with shadows and blacks to get look you are after. At least this applies to the 1st image. The NIK filter Silver Efex Pro, which is a free plug-in from Google will work with LR or Photoshop. It can give you many options to play with as well.

I would never just drop the saturation to zero to do a black and white conversion in any software, it is a really poor option. You are usually much better off using a specific conversion tool, be that the Black and White filter or channel mixer in Ps, or using Lr/ACR (including opening RGB data in ACR as the Camera Raw Filter) and choosing Black and White as the treatment. My personal preference is for Lr/ACR since the Black and White Treatment offers the highest number of colour channels available in the mixer for an Adobe product. IIRC I think it actually has one more channel than even Silver Efex.

The biggest reason to use a system that allows chanel mixing is so that you can achieve tonal separation between different colours that would otherwise end up the same insipid mid tone. In general you will probably want to set things up so that you darken blues and lighten reds, or the converse, while leaving the greens neutral. This gives a look that is much closer to what you would expect to see from a black and white film. The norm would be darker blues, and lighter reds, as this is similar to what you get from most panchromatic films. The degrees of lightening and darkening on film would also be affected by using the various colour filters. I have actually built my own presets in Lr to match the results that I would have got using Ilford FP4 and HP5 combined with various colour filters, and then printed on a mid contrast grade paper.

I tried Silver Efex, but IMO the film simulations for FP4 and HP5, and even Tri-X, all look like the results of printing on a really hard (contrasty) paper, printing on Grade 5 should really be reserved for a very thin negative, not as standard. If you then throw on one of the colour filter options the image just ends up looking totally wrong to the way I remember fresh prints looking. I suppose that my problem is that after spending so many hours in the darkroom as a youngster, striving for a good quality print, that is the look I'm now after in a black and white conversion. Silver Efex really seems to not be designed to produce what would have been called a good print by many.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 20, 2017 21:25 |  #5

Do you use PS?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Strahinja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Oct 21, 2017 14:07 |  #6

Thank you for the answers, I might have been a little scarce in my description. Despite knowing my way around Lightroom, I've had no success in replicating this peculiar image style (meaning the color, or the "feel" of the image). It reminds me so much of images done by James Nachtwey, and I know he used Tri-X for a lot of hit award winning work.

I tried using Tri-X, but I guess I don't have the team he has, because I've seen that people edit his photos, according to his parameters. Still, experience in editing does wonders.

I use PS, but rarely, I rely mostly on Lightroom right now.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 21, 2017 15:07 |  #7

These look like they used an extreme clarity plugin like topaz adjust and then converted to monochrome.

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Post has been edited 27 days ago by Pigpen101.
Oct 21, 2017 15:13 |  #8

Nik was my first thought as well. I didn't convert to B&W until I came across Nik because I wasn't liking the conversion results I was getting from other programs. It has many options from filters to grain. You can also have it mimic many different old B&W films.

It's worth a shot, especially considering the price.;-)a

BTW, it works better when you shoot RAW.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 21, 2017 17:36 |  #9

Strahinja wrote in post #18477672 (external link)
Thank you for the answers, I might have been a little scarce in my description. Despite knowing my way around Lightroom, I've had no success in replicating this peculiar image style (meaning the color, or the "feel" of the image). It reminds me so much of images done by James Nachtwey, and I know he used Tri-X for a lot of hit award winning work.

I tried using Tri-X, but I guess I don't have the team he has, because I've seen that people edit his photos, according to his parameters. Still, experience in editing does wonders.

I have used this as a PS plugin for about 10 years. It offers all the film types .Unfortunately there is no plugin for LR

http://powerretouche.c​om/black-white_studio.htm (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Oct 24, 2017 12:14 |  #10

Strahinja wrote in post #18477672 (external link)

Post up a link to a raw file that you want to replicate this look. I'm up for the challenge (not using plugins).

:-)

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Oct 24, 2017 12:26 |  #11

It's ackind of HDR look called Tonal Contrast. Nik has it in it's Colour fx collection. Here's an example.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Strahinja
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Aug 2014
Belgrade, Serbia
Oct 30, 2017 13:21 |  #12

Currently, I'm away from home, but if I don't completely lose my mind and forget to post the RAW I guess we can make a little editing game. Thank you all for responses, I guess I'll just have to work harder tweaking the bars in LR and PS!

cleyvosier
836 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Abilene,Texas
Nov 11, 2017 18:09 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #13

what did you do convert to black & white then use tonal contrast

Gear- Canon 50d, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM,Alien Bee 1600 & csr+ reciever, Sekonik L-358
Feedback

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been last edited 4 days ago by Colin Glover. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 13, 2017 06:52 as a reply to cleyvosier's post |  #14

Kind of. Other way around actually. It's Matt 'On 1' Klowoski's TC medium LR preset, with shadows boosted and clarity turned down a bit. Then if exposure needs up or down I do it, and bump up NR if needed. Gives a lot of detail. Not recommended if your subject has a lot of wrinkles, especially around eyes as it accentuates them. Most women have Orangey skin, so I'll boost the orange channel to avoid their skin looking dark, and men have reddish skin, so I drop that to match skin tones in PP.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Nov 13, 2017 07:09 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #18476388 (external link)
I would never just drop the saturation to zero to do a black and white conversion in any software, it is a really poor option. You are usually much better off using a specific conversion tool, be that the Black and White filter or channel mixer in Ps, or using Lr/ACR (including opening RGB data in ACR as the Camera Raw Filter) and choosing Black and White as the treatment. My personal preference is for Lr/ACR since the Black and White Treatment offers the highest number of colour channels available in the mixer for an Adobe product. IIRC I think it actually has one more channel than even Silver Efex.

Couldn't agree more. I'm surprised that anyone would do this.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

sponsored links

2,023 views & 1 like for this thread
Achieving this look
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.