Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 19 Oct 2017 (Thursday) 17:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Adobe Photoshop alternative

Stoutall
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 19, 2017 17:39 |  #1

Hello,

I have a problem with Adobe Photoshop. For some reason, the program crashes frequently when I am opening PSD extension file. So I am looking for PSD opening programs.

Could you recommend a good one?

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
jra
Cream of the Crop
6,498 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Oct 20, 2017 10:00 |  #2

Are you just wanting to open and view it or are you hoping to find a program that will allow you to edit in a way similar to PS? I do believe that GIMP can open a PSD file but I'm not sure if you can pick up the editing where you left off in PS. Your better option may be trying to figure out why your PS keeps crashing and fixing that problem.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Oct 20, 2017 11:37 |  #3

I concur with JRA. Have you checked Adobe's website? Is PS up to date? If it's an older CS version, there might be updates to fix it. I'd suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the programme. Why do you have to edit PSD as opposed to CR2 or NEF? would that simplify things? Or if it's CC, download the latest demo, uninstall your existing copy and install the demo using your license key. Good lick.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 1 month ago by John from PA.
Oct 20, 2017 11:49 |  #4

First of all you should try to find out why Photoshop crashes on a PSD file. Simply put it shouldn't and many of the reasons it might may very well still exist with some other software package and again cause problems. You might try the steps at http://www.creativeblo​q.com ...op/stop-crashing-51411615 (external link) and see what you can learn and perhaps adjust some settings.

Do you know what your crash report is reporting as a cause?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 30, 2017 12:49 |  #5

I'd also would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the program

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,242 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 30, 2017 13:08 |  #6

Stoutall wrote in post #18476330 (external link)
Hello,

I have a problem with Adobe Photoshop. For some reason, the program crashes frequently when I am opening PSD extension file. So I am looking for PSD opening programs.

Could you recommend a good one?

Thanks in advance!

Is it crashing opening one file or all .psd files. If it is on one or a small number of files, might look to file corruption. If it is all psd files or open a psd one time but fails opening the same later, then it might be the program or pc. But I'm with John from PA, find out why. It is definitely not normal.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

jeff018
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Nov 07, 2017 09:45 |  #7

Online.File.Repair.Pho​toshop (external link)

sponsored links

1,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe Photoshop alternative
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.