Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 11:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

trying full-frame on family shoot - which Canon body?

jamsomito
Joined Apr 2016
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oct 20, 2017 11:02 |  #1

I've decided to rent a full frame body to try out on a family photo shoot in the next few weeks. I've been shooting crop bodies for about 10 years and would just like to get my feet wet. I also want it to be worth the money, so I want the best results for the money. My local camera shop doesn't have a great selection, but provided me with a discount code for lensrentals.com that would more or less cover shipping costs, which is fine by me. So, which would you choose?

1. 6D mk1 - $70/7days
2. 6D mk2 - $120/7days
3. 5D mk3 - $116/7days

5D4 seems marginally better for a lot more money, so I'm not considering it. If you must know, it's $168/7days.

I'll also be renting a lens along with it, either an 85 f/1.2 mk2 or 50 f/1.2.

I'll be shooting kids, who will likely be pretty active, and I tend to use focus points all over the viewfinder. I like the price of the 6D mk1, but I think I'd benefit from the additional focus points in the 6D mk2 or 5D mk3.

Thoughts? Many thanks in advance.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 20, 2017 11:21 |  #2

Heya,

The 6D will give you the FOV of full frame. You will not notice much else different from your crops. The AF is decent, mostly a center point system, it will have better high ISO performance and focus better in low light (only on center point). But, other than that, honestly you will not see some incredible difference in image quality that is appreciable other than subjective stuff (lots of people have anecdotal evidence from experience thinking something is dramatically better, when its measurably not really). But the 6D will again give you the control over FOV and depth of field that really gives a full frame sensor its purpose for portrait (I use portrait here as that's your intended use).

The 5D3 will give you the experience that is both full frame (for FOV and depth of field purposes) and the AF engine of a 1D series Canon. This will give you the overall feel of what a full feature, no crippled options, full on pro-sumer body is all about. This one will give you the ability to use outer AF points accurately, not just center point. Plus all the other benefits of a larger sensor. So if you really want to take advantage of the 50L or 85L to test it out, this would be the superior camera to play around with, because the AF is superior and gives you a lot more options beyond center point.

You also do not have to get the 85L or 50L. You could easily just buy a 85 F1.8 and get the experience in general. Or add a 50 STM or something. They're so cheap, you end up owning them instead of renting them. And again you will get a very similar experience with a full frame camera to get your feet wet. You can commonly get the 85 F1.8 used for $250 and the 50 STM is $100 new. That's so inexpensive you might as well own them versus renting for a portion of the price. Just a thought.

Another thought is to try a 24-70 F2.8 flavor zoom, instead of a prime. If you really want something great for family, a great AF system full frame like the 5D3 and a very versatile 24-70 F2.8 will give you everything you need for literally everything with your family.

I'd rent the 5D3 & a 24-70 F2.8.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,107 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Oct 20, 2017 11:25 |  #3

I could make any of those bodys work, but I'd have a 70-200L on it, no question, with a 24-70L in the bag.

jamsomito
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2016
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Post has been last edited 28 days ago by jamsomito. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 20, 2017 11:29 |  #4

Thanks for the thoughts so far everyone.

I should add - I own a 70-200 f/2.8 mk1, and a 50 f/1.8 mk2 (not the STM). The 85 1.2 would be overlapping my 70-200 a bit, but I would also like to see how a good prime performs as I've been using zooms most of my life. Chief complaints from mine are harsh(er) bokeh (like my 17-55 2.8) and I'm curious what a prime can do for sharpness. My 50 1.8 is just so-so overall, it's fun to play with, but I find myself favoring my 17-55 the vast majority of the time for its sharpness. Keep in mind my experiences with these two full-frame lenses are on crop bodies, so maybe they will be inherently slightly better on a full frame body, I just don't know.

How does the 6D 2 stack up against the 5D 3? If I were going to buy one, I'd probably go the 6D 2 route since it is a bit more budget friendly (at least retail) so that's why it's on there.

Or am I splitting hairs at this point?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 20, 2017 12:02 as a reply to jamsomito's post |  #5

The 3 cameras are very close to each other for IQ. You just have to decide more on features, price, and if you are one of those that need the maximum DR out of a body at ISO 100, but from the sounds of it, that wouldn't be a concern really for you.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,413 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 20, 2017 12:41 |  #6

Either 6dmk2 or 5dmk3. No 6d, poor AF unless you shoot focus/recompose. Family shots I am not sure how much 85L will help but it is magical on FF.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Hokie ­ Jim
92 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Oct 20, 2017 13:47 |  #7

6D, otherwise you'll get hooked on the build quality and AF of the 5D series and never want to go back  :p

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/Really Right Stuff BH-55 | Think Tank Urban Disguise 60

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,821 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Oct 20, 2017 14:55 |  #8

jamsomito wrote in post #18476839 (external link)
Or am I splitting hairs at this point?

Yes, about the camera comparison and the comparison of FF vs APSC.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,697 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Oct 20, 2017 15:11 |  #9

I'de go with the 5Diii for the joystick and possibly better focus spread. Practice with the 85, accept that you'll miss a lot, but those you land will be magical.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,444 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 20, 2017 15:19 |  #10

jamsomito wrote in post #18476839 (external link)
I should add - I own a 70-200 f/2.8 mk1, and a 50 f/1.8 mk2 (not the STM).

If you are renting, be prepared to do a MFA for your lenses.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 20, 2017 16:08 |  #11

bobbyz wrote in post #18476909 (external link)
Either 6dmk2 or 5dmk3. No 6d, poor AF unless you shoot focus/recompose. Family shots I am not sure how much 85L will help but it is magical on FF.

I've been using a 6D (6Dc?) for almost 5 years. For most targets that move, the 6D is indeed inferior to 6D2, 5D3, 5D4, and 1-series bodies. For static stuff, it is the best bargain in Canon cameras. As much as I like my 6D, if I only owned one body, it would NOT be the 6D. My chosen compliment to the 6D is the 80D. Way happy with that choice, too.

OP, If I were renting, I'd go with a 1DX2. For maybe $100+ more than the 6D, you can shoot the best Canon makes. No-brainer from where I sit. (But then I'd have to buy one! :) )

Tom

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 21 days ago by kf095.
Oct 27, 2017 09:07 |  #12

I never have problem with active kids and sports with 5Dc, nor I have problems with 500D for BiF. And not only with center AFP and F8 :) If camera works it is nothing special. Use AI Servo and back button for focus.
But you never know. I "updated" 5Dc to 5D MKII and camera was not working correctly with 50L. Googled it and it was the known problem. :oops:

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 27, 2017 09:12 |  #13

kf095 wrote in post #18482188 (external link)
I never have problem with active kids and sports with 5Dc, nor I have problems with 500D for BiF. And not only with center AFP and F8 :) If camera works it is nothing special. Use AI Servo and back button for focus.
But you never know. I "updated" 5Dc to 5D MKII and camera was not working correctly with 50L. Googled it and it was the known problem. :oops:

The problem is that even with expansion points on, the AF can be too slow sometimes, and doesn't do well with tracking an object when other things interfere. The newer bodies have several AI Servo configurations that allow you to tweak all kinds of AF settings to help you with what you shoot.

I can guarantee that you are not using a 5Dc, 6D, or even the new SL2 with sports like football. It cannot do what you intend it to do with action and tracking players. I have used all of them and even tried my SL2 at football games, it doesn't get the job done. Sure you can get some keepers, as a casual shooter, but if you are trying to be a bit more professional and supply other parents pictures of their kids, or get photos into the yearbook, year end slide shows, etc, not going to be the best tool for the situation. The same is said with other sports and action shots, if you just have one target with nothing interfering the line of sight, sure the center AF point will be up to the task a good bit of the time. Introduce other objects in between you and your subject, and this is where it gets ugly.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

ShadowHillsPhoto
Joined Aug 2015
Schoharie, NY
Oct 27, 2017 12:54 |  #14

Since you are doing this to get your feet wet as you say, I assume you are at least considering picking up a full frame body for yourself at some point? If that's the case I would rent whatever body you are most likely to buy in the future (meaning the one that's realistically within your budget) and use this as a trial run. The 6D and 6DII are going to be the most similar to your 70D, the 5D3 is a nice step up and will probably cause you to want to get one.

jamsomito
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2016
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Oct 27, 2017 14:10 |  #15

Haha. Well I've been doing a little research and I think this is what I've decided:

5D mk3
35mm f/1.4 mk2

Reasoning: I have the 70-200 f/2.8 mk1, which will get me most of the way to the 85 f/1.2 (not the same, I know, but close). I have an old 50mm f/1.8 mk2 that I can use if i reeealy need that focal length. But I have nothing in the "standard" or wide range that works on full frame, and the wife wants that look. So I decided to use my kit for longer stuff and try out the 35 1.4. And yes I would love a full frame body to compliment my current 70D which is really fine, but I'd like to experiment more with DOF than it will allow, and I'd like cleaner images that I think these FF bodies can provide. I also figure I can bring both bodies on this shoot and if I really need something in the 50mm range, I can always put the 35mm on my 70D for a similar FL too, and maybe compare/contrast a bit.

Our shoot is next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts!

sponsored links

1,207 views & 3 likes for this thread
trying full-frame on family shoot - which Canon body?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.