Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 14:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

My First Try.

SneakyCrusader
Joined Sep 2017
Augusta Georgia USA
Oct 20, 2017 14:15 |  #1

have always wanted to try shooting the Milky Way and decided last night was a good a time as any.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charles Moore / "Photography is the story I fail to put into words." - Destin Sparks

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct 21, 2017 18:46 |  #2

SneakyCrusader wrote in post #18476981 (external link)
have always wanted to try shooting the Milky Way and decided last night was a good a time as any.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by SneakyCrusader in
./showthread.php?p=184​76981&i=i65296801
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Hey Charles,

great start into astro photography
well done :)

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

SneakyCrusader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2017
Augusta Georgia USA
Oct 23, 2017 21:40 as a reply to Davenn's post |  #3

Thanks! Had some problems with the lens fogging up as the temperature dropped that night. any tips for that issue?

Charles Moore / "Photography is the story I fail to put into words." - Destin Sparks

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 23, 2017 21:46 |  #4

SneakyCrusader wrote in post #18479467 (external link)
Thanks! Had some problems with the lens fogging up as the temperature dropped that night. any tips for that issue?

Heat strips. Or hand warmers (the kind you shake up and they get hot for a little while). If your lens is hotter than the dew point, it won't dew over. Knowing humidity for your evening tells you how hot you have to be. I live in Florida and at night its 99% humidity (which means ambient temperature IS the dew point), so I just heat things up hot and I don't do any measurement or anything. But the more you get into astro, the more you know that goal #1 is to manage dew. And that comes from heat. It can be an electric strip like a little heat pad, or chemical warmers, etc. That's up to you. You can get cheap Gosky strips on Amazon. Power with a lithium power pack (Talentcell). Both cheap and work great.

Ex of a camera lens wrapped with an element heater strip:

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7303/28063150942_6977de3ac0_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JKQZ​53] (external link)20160708_011106 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Ex of a large scope and a guidescope, both with heat strips around their front elements (electrically powered with a battery):

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/584/33030734791_6f3873681f_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SjP9​Fr] (external link)IMG_5106 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

And good milky way. :)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

412 views & 7 likes for this thread
My First Try.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.