Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 20 Oct 2017 (Friday) 20:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

What Microphone (s) > Redwood Wedding ??

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 20, 2017 20:33 |  #1

I've done photography for several redwood weddings, but never any video. I have one more coming in November. The couple will hire me regardless, but sent an extra email asking if I could do video of ceremony, or whether they need to hire a videographer. Their budget is very small, already cutting into their moving-over-seas fund for the wedding. It came to mind that I could set up my extra camera (Canon 5D Mk iii or 5DS) on a tripod pointed at them and the officiant while I take photos. If I do this, I want to get a microphone.

Any suggestions for microphone, whether wireless lav, or shotgun mike? Usually is very quiet. Breeze sound is often 250 to 300 ft overhead and sounds like the ocean if there's even any wind. And an occasional raven once in a while. So ambient sound is minimal.

I'm also curious about using a small mixer with a combination of lav PLUS shotgun. And I'm also wondering if a lav microphone placed on the groom or officiant will pick up all three voices clearly.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Oct 22, 2017 08:56 |  #2

Using an overhead boom mike placed as close the the subjects face as possible without getting in the shoot is a good way.

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Oct 22, 2017 11:13 |  #3

I don't think most weddings would want a boom mic.

I've seen wireless lav mics used a lot. I used to work for a church as the audio tech and we did that all the time for the house sound. We put one on the groom for him and the bride and the officiant had a wireless headset mic.

I would pick a Sennheiser wireless mic like THIS (external link). It is a very reliable and popular wireless mic. You may need to adjust the levels for each voice when editing the video but that is not hard to do.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 26 days ago by mdvaden. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 22, 2017 14:34 |  #4

bpalermini wrote in post #18478302 (external link)
I don't think most weddings would want a boom mic.

I've seen wireless lav mics used a lot. I used to work for a church as the audio tech and we did that all the time for the house sound. We put one on the groom for him and the bride and the officiant had a wireless headset mic.

I would pick a Sennheiser wireless mic like THIS (external link). It is a very reliable and popular wireless mic. You may need to adjust the levels for each voice when editing the video but that is not hard to do.

You are probably spot-on about the boom. Given the nature of a redwood wedding in old growth environment, a boom and stand amidst pristine redwood forest would probably look awkward.

That link you sent is a brand I heard about on one Youtube review by Tony Northrup, but it's way outside my budget. There almost isn't a budget for a mic. I could afford something like this:

https://www.amazon.com ...smid=A2LXBKOLL3J3K6​&psc=1 (external link)

My working range would be about 15 ft. away. Usually couples follow my advice for where to gather. I could probably hide a camera and tripod where's it's barely in view of the still image photography. I can probably get camera within 8 ft. of them, but anywhere from 8 ft. to 15 ft. Could go farther if need be. There will probably be ferns for cloaking too.

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 26 days ago by Colin Glover.
Oct 22, 2017 17:09 |  #5

Dare I say none? If the church has a sound desk at the rear centre of the church, you can put a tripod up by the desk, and run a line out to the mic input on your SLR. However, there would need to be a mic by the couple. Some churches do this, most don't. Failing that, the defaqto standard for live recording is the Sure SM58 which costs, £100/$120. Great sound, just put it on a straight up mic stand between the couple (most churches WILL have one of these). A great budget mike is a Beringer XM8500 @ £20 $25 (261 5* and 62 4* reviews out of 363 on Amazon UK). I have P.A. experience with both of these mics and can vouch you wont be disappointed with either.
Enjoy the video taking.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 25 days ago by mdvaden.
Oct 22, 2017 18:15 |  #6

Colin Glover wrote in post #18478539 (external link)
Dare I say none? If the church has a sound desk at the rear centre of the church, you can put a tripod up by the desk, and run a line out to the mic input on your SLR. However, there would need to be a mic by the couple.

Thanks, Colin ... but the "redwood" in the thread title is literal. This won't be a church near redwoods or one of the privately owned redwood wedding venues. It's going to be pristine old growth coast redwood forest with huge trees, giant ferns, and somewhat secluded.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods2/large/M_J_23_1600mdv.jpg

bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Oct 22, 2017 23:31 |  #7

You can rent the Sennheiser wireless mic (external link) that I mentioned for $52 per week from LensRentals.com or from most of the photo equipment rental places.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 24 days ago by Colin Glover.
Oct 24, 2017 11:24 |  #8

The mics I mentioned don't need power, just an adapter to fit the jack, 3.5mm on most DSLR's. And you can get a splitter to put 2 mics on 1 input. No lead is supplied so you'll need an unbalanced XLR to 1/2 inch jack, and a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch (3.5mm) jack adapter.just put it on a stand pointing vertically up between the couple and celebrant. Make sure you buy a long enough lead so your camera isn't in the way. Reproduction will be excellent with either mic as long as they don't stand too far away from it, so 2 feet from it should be ok. If its in the woods, how will they be playing music? CD boom box, or live playing?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 24, 2017 13:41 |  #9

bpalermini wrote in post #18478302 (external link)
I've seen wireless lav mics used a lot.

this.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Oct 24, 2017 17:23 |  #10

Colin Glover wrote in post #18479807 (external link)
The mics I mentioned don't need power, just an adapter to fit the jack, 3.5mm on most DSLR's. And you can get a splitter to put 2 mics on 1 input. No lead is supplied so you'll need an unbalanced XLR to 1/2 inch jack, and a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch (3.5mm) jack adapter.just put it on a stand pointing vertically up between the couple and celebrant. Make sure you buy a long enough lead so your camera isn't in the way. Reproduction will be excellent with either mic as long as they don't stand too far away from it, so 2 feet from it should be ok. If its in the woods, how will they be playing music? CD boom box, or live playing?

I don't think they have any music planned. If they were to have music, the redwood parks would require an actual instrument like acoustic guitar or human voice. No powered music.

frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Oct 24, 2017 20:06 |  #11

Tascam has a good mini recorder (external link) with lav mic. It records an extra safety track. Stick it on the groom and get everything said during the ceremony loud and clear. As long as nobody moves away from the groom. Ask the officiant about this if you can.

Or you can just mount a shotgun mic on the camera but it'll need to be close to get quality audio. Yes, a mixer will help but ideally you'd need to man it and adjust levels.

You can also get a small Zoom or Tascam recorder with built in mics and hide it near the ceremony.

Arstine
145 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Rapid City, S.D.
Oct 28, 2017 17:08 |  #12

Grab a Zoom H1 and a decent lav mic. Pop it on the groom and put the Zoom in his pocket. Put some gaff tape over all the switches so it doesn't get bumped and change settings and hit record.

Take a second Zoom and put it somewhere close up front. Podium or behind or under a sand ceremony table for example.

You can set them to record WAV or MP3, depending on how long you'll be recording, and the sound quality is great. I shoot 40+ video gigs a year and this has always given me more than acceptable sound quality. Just remember to put in fresh batteries for every gig and tape off those switches because they will get bumped and moved.

My camera says Canon and goes clickity clickity click.
My Flickrexternal link-external linkSnapshots and fun pics go here.
http://www.photosbyjas​on.netexternal link

sponsored links

1,305 views & 0 likes for this thread
What Microphone (s) > Redwood Wedding ??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.