Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 21 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 11:31
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to clean filters in the field...primarily sea mist

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Oct 21, 2017 11:31 |  #1

As I've started to use filters, I noticed that sea mist will build up and not only degrade image quality but also cause flare. How do you all mitigate this? I have a feeling if I just wipe with a microfiber cloth, I could potentially scratch the filter assuming the mist is salt based.

I'm thinking I remove the filter every time I see too much build up and poor some fresh bottle water on the filter, then wipe with microfiber cloth. Would this be good? Is it going overboard?

The other alternative is to sell my 6D, and get a Sony or Nikon, expose for the sky, and lift my foreground shadows as needed. :lol:

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 21, 2017 11:38 |  #2

You could use a little bottle of distilled water and just take it with you. Remove the filter, cover the lens, dribble some distilled water on there and soak it up with rolled cotton (no wiping). If it's that bad.

There is a little salt if you're taking splashes and the droplets can of course hold sediment. The vapor can carry a larger molecule like salt too. Humidity however does not carry anything but the water.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

01Ryan10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Oct 21, 2017 12:29 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks. I didn't think of using distilled water. That's a better idea.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,441 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2017 12:41 |  #4

Put the distilled water into an empty spray bottle (you can buy these in many places...perhaps you could find SMALL spray bottle that is easy to bring along, in a drugstore like CVS or Riteaid in their small travel-sized product area).
Then you spray the front of the filter with a mist of distilled water, and wipe with a dry soft tissue or microfiber cloth

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 21, 2017 12:59 |  #5

These are amazing. A very, very fine spray, well constructed.. not expensive: https://www.amazon.com ...age_o05_s00?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,441 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Oct 21, 2017 14:55 |  #6

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18477612 (external link)
These are amazing. A very, very fine spray, well constructed.. not expensive: https://www.amazon.com ...age_o05_s00?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

I had in mind something much smaller, like this which is only 4.5" tall

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/spraybottle-1_zps8ynlwhvr.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,122 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Oct 22, 2017 12:19 |  #7

I have the similar issues too. Personally, I won't need to clean it in the field because I won't have the time since I generally shoot during the late evening....with about 2 hours of window the most. It takes me 5 minutes to setup the shot though. I am already at a handful fumbling my ND filters, lens hood, and CPL, remote, eye cup cap, etc. Now, I have to clean 3 filters every time I am done with the shot???? Hehehehe..... I try to work quickly and to get the shot. I am not getting THAT much ocean sprays anyway. If so, I am too close to the sea and my body would be in danger of getting wet too.

I generally clean my filters once I am home using a brand new ped pac.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Oct 26, 2017 14:16 |  #8

If filter will be scratched it is not so big deal to still take pictures with it. As long as it is not over priced one, they don't cost a furtune. BH has good selection of reasonable filters.

Some lenses have deep hood helping with keeping it dry. Like 70-200 F4 L hood.

I think, moisture keeps dust off the air. It is on sunny days with the wind then lot of dust could be in the air. Depends on sand type.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

1,925 views & 2 likes for this thread
How to clean filters in the field...primarily sea mist
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.