Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 21 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 14:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Better than the last attempt...

Kristine2514
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 21, 2017 14:13 |  #1

Here is my latest go at self portraits. My last attempt was in front of a window...epic failure! lol. With this one, I used my diy softbox for lighting and have been learning my speedlite. I feel that I'm getting better by baby steps but thats better than nothing. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 30D

sponsored links
losangelino
Joined Jul 2012
Oct 21, 2017 14:23 |  #2

It's a very nice portrait. Lighting and expression is great. Wondering why some of the detail around the eyes and hair are lost. Was there a filter you used?

Flickr (external link)
IG: @spyology (external link)
IG: @photomagicology (external link)

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 21, 2017 14:33 as a reply to losangelino's post |  #3

Thank you. With the eyes, there was less detail in the original. I used vivasa to bring some out. My focus was better on the eyes with this photo than the last time I attempted a self portrait but I need a lot more practice. With the hair...I did a new background and I've been fighting with the refine selection tool in pse. Winning the battle slowly but that tool is a real problem for me to overcome, for some reason.

EOS 30D

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Oct 21, 2017 18:08 |  #4

I really like the way that the brick wall in the background is rendered - it's perfect!

As for yourself, well, it looks as if you have a very serious, even austere look in the portrait. . Was that intentional?

I can't help but to think that self-portraits are intended to give the viewers a certain impression of ones' self, and I if shooting a self-portrait, I would ask myself, "is this what I want people to think of my personality". . If so, then you did a great job of capturing that super-serious look.

On my monitor, it looks like patches of skin have been retouched and smoothed-over in post processing, but that adjacent patches of skin have been left alone. The transition from the left-alone areas to the smoothed-over areas is quite abrupt. I think that for retouching to be most effective, it should be applied evenly over the entire face, so that the areas that didn't need retouching match the areas that are retouched, inasmuch as fine skin texture is concerned.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Oct 21, 2017 18:26 |  #5

Well, the obvious fake blur is obvious. Also while whatever plug-in you are using it did make skin softer, it also made it plastic; plus untouched leftovers thus now became more prominent. Also since that smoothing-or-whatnot plug-in went over hair as well, those also look unnatural. Sooooo... in the end it's just a photo with a strong automated filter all over - you should avoid those things. Cheers!

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Kristine2514.
Oct 21, 2017 18:46 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #6

Your right Tom, especially with my forehead, as I was frowning a bit. I wanted a serious look, rather than mad, so I cloned the frown out and noticed myself that it looked too smooth. I went for a serious look, as I'm a light hearted person and I liked capturing something that would be a bit of a departure from my personality, if that makes sense. I've been playing with another photo this afternoon in which I'm smiling and relaxed...I'd say captures my real personality. Thank you for your comments :-)

EOS 30D

ejenner
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2017 20:38 |  #7

At first lance I thought the look was 'unhappy' which seems to be a common thing to do nowadays and not something that appeals to me - but at least it doesn't look 'pouty'.

But then I keep wanting to look at it, so I guess that makes it great IMO.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Kristine2514. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 21, 2017 23:31 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #8

Olafs, respectfully, you are wrong. In recalling the steps I used, I used the quick selection and refine selection tool to cut myself out to place on a new background. Didn't work very well on the hair edges though. Used the lasso tool around the brick wall and then blurred it. As far as my face, I used the clone stamp. No smoothing filters, just vivasa to bring out my eyes. No all over filters and no filter on my hair. Just went a little crazy with the clone tool

EOS 30D

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been edited 1 month ago by welshwizard1971.
Oct 22, 2017 01:48 |  #9

Great shot, I think the expression is spot on, slightly over processed as has been said, I bet to my eyes the unprocessed one looks better, my only concern is the elbow, just getting the way and not adding anything, beautiful hair, a natural frame for a beautiful face, why obstruct it? If you wanted something there you could have had your hand playing with your hair, but that would have moved this into sultry/seductive territory, which with that expression would have been a great image, but I don't think that's what you were going for, so maybe not.

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 22, 2017 10:13 |  #10

The brick wall that you used as a background - did you take that photo, as well?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 22, 2017 11:11 as a reply to welshwizard1971's post |  #11

Thank you for your comments...I find the elbow highly annoying myself. I'm seeing that less is more. Keeping things simple will make for more pleasing photos

EOS 30D

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 22, 2017 11:13 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #12

The background was in the graphics section in pse. At first glance I didn't think there was anything worth using. After looking more thoroughly I found quite a few good ones :-)

EOS 30D

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Oct 22, 2017 14:36 as a reply to Kristine2514's post |  #13

OK :] But that background, alas replaced, still looks fake, so my point stands. As for no filters - with clone stamp you achieved the same result then - you have to take time with these things, otherwise it looks what it looks. I seriously don't want to make everything bad /as you can read under my name, I am nice and fluffy/, it's just what it is. Your focus should be elsewhere for now, not post ;]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Kristine2514
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Oct 22, 2017 15:09 as a reply to olafs osh's post |  #14

I completely agree with you. After these self portraits I took recently, the obvious clicked...if you get good results from your camera, you don't have to fuss and fiddle so much with post. So now, as you said, the focus is not going to be with post, rather, with good results from the camera.

EOS 30D

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Oct 22, 2017 17:38 |  #15

Kristine2514 wrote in post #18478426 (external link)
After these self portraits I took recently, the obvious clicked...if you get good results from your camera, you don't have to fuss and fiddle so much with post. So now, as you said, the focus is not going to be with post, rather, with good results from the camera.

I think that's a good direction to take.

One thing that you may have fun with would be to find a brick wall and to try to replicate this shot whilst standing in front of the brick wall. . It'd be a fun way to see the difference in results that you get by experimenting with different camera-to-background distances and various subject-to-bckground distances.

And if you worked at it until you got good results, you wouldn't have to fiddle with hair edges in post, and you wouldn't have the nice fluffy guy saying that it looks fake! . A win / win!

sponsored links

916 views & 11 likes for this thread
Better than the last attempt...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.