Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 23 Oct 2017 (Monday) 00:32
Prev/next
Poll"Have you ever needed to use your back-up camera?"
No
42.9%
Yes
50%
Yes, but even the 2nd malfunctioned
7.1%

14 voters, 14 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Ever HAD to use your back-up Camera?

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 26 days ago by mdvaden.
Oct 23, 2017 00:32 |  #1

I was wondering how many photographers out there have had to use their backup DSLR. Not because you had a second shooter, but due to a real malfunction other than running out of batteries or filling camera cards up.

Do you feel confident with just one extra camera body?

I've been shooting with DSLR for about 6 years moderately. Never had a camera go bad yet, nor any cards. Used Canon T2i, 60D, two 5D mk ii's, 5D mk iii and 5DS

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Oct 23, 2017 10:54 |  #2

almost. At my first solo wedding. Got an error code and lockup on my 5dIII and almost had to go to backup but then I tried pulling the battery out and reinstalling it. That did it.

Tempting consideration for me as I don't like those convoluted sling systems. I'd be happy enough with one gripped camera body in my hands all day long and change lenses as necessary.But when someone en trusts me with one of the most important days of their life I can't fathom the idea of having less than 2 or 3 cameras present that I'm familiar with.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Toronto, Canada
Oct 23, 2017 16:45 |  #3

About a month ago, I was photographing a wedding while my partner was doing video. Through the preparation stage everything was fine. Then as the bride started walking down the aisle, my 5D3+70-200mm stopped working. I quickly turned off/on but the LCD showed no power. I think I also removed and reattached the lens but still nothing. No dice. So I switched to my other camera, 5D3+24-70mm, and got shots of the processional. Phew!

I think I ended up reinserting the battery and the camera started working again. Canon brand batteries in case you were wondering.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Oct 23, 2017 16:56 |  #4

Dropped a camera down a flight of stone stairs in a church, it popped off the capture clip it was hooked onto, I bring three cameras to weddings.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited 24 days ago by tim.
Oct 25, 2017 03:14 |  #5

I've been doing this longer than many people here I think - although not recently due to injury.

Actual failures
- I cleaned the lens contacts of two cameras with eclipse / alcohol. Both failed during a wedding ceremony. I figured out why, rubbed the contacts a bit, and one came around. I didn't miss anything critical.
- One camera failed as the bride walked up the aisle. Other camera was out of arms reach.

Other close calls:
- Flash is connected to battery pack in pocket. Put camera down, walk away, everything falls to the floor (maybe twice)
- Put camera at feet, it rolled down a hill. Fortunately it was a Nikon D700 and it was unscathed.
- Put a camera on root of car, it fell off. Again, no damage.
- Dropped camera and lens onto thick carpet. Ruined the lens 24-70 F2.8 lens, cost $2K to have the entire internals replaced
- Put brand new 7D camera on tripod incorrectly, fell off, scratched the heck of out of it and it didn't work right

My insurance premiums started going up.

For weddings I tend to take three or four cameras, four flashes, studio flashes, multiple stands and cables, more triggers than I need, etc. I don't trust any equipment because everything fails sooner or later.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

jcolman
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
North Carolina
Oct 26, 2017 23:00 |  #6

Just once. One of my two cameras that I always have with me failed while shooting "getting ready" shots. I sent my assistant to my car to get my backup camera. The couple never knew.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.comexternal link

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Tampa, Florida
Oct 27, 2017 15:12 |  #7

Only one time.....in haste I tried to mount an ef-s lens on my 5d classic and managed to knock the mirror loose! After I got the shots with my backup I managed to snap it back in place. Stupid things we do in haste....

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Oct 27, 2017 18:05 |  #8

Yes, sort of. My back up camera wouldn't take video at a conference I was filming and photography at. Swapped them round, and my main body took video. The back up would take stills, but freeze whenever the camera went into standby mode. Wouldn't work unless I pulled battery out and put back in, then did the same thing. Turning LCD off meant it stayed on as long as I was shooting through VF. Problem cleared itself after a month and still okay, almost a year later. I've still no idea why.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 27, 2017 18:31 |  #9

Yes, did a wedding last month and the trigger would NOT work on my Fuji (later figured it out). Luckily I brought my 6D. Whew!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Oakton, VA USA
Oct 27, 2017 20:03 |  #10

I've never had to use my back-up camera.

Over the last five years, I've used my 5DM3 as my primary, and have taken about 85,000 photos with it. It has never missed a beat. My backup on those rare occasions when the shoot is important is my 60D. I will also bring back-up lenses, along with spare batteries and memory cards. I've been fortunate to have never needed to use backup equipment, but on the important shoots the "second string" is all ready to go.

Likewise on the back-up side, I always back-up my computer, generally on a daily basis. When I load photos to the computer, I back them up before ever looking at them through Lightroom. I'm ritualistic about it. I have had to use computer back-ups, so the time tax to do the back-up is worth it.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collectionexternal link

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Oct 31, 2017 09:12 |  #11

Twice for me

Both times camera drops

It happens- 450 + weddings. Your reputation is everything so dont risk it

always have a back up. Ya never know

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

SSNTUFF
Joined Jun 2017
Colorado Springs, Co. USA
Oct 31, 2017 09:24 |  #12

I had my 7D on a tripod taking pictures of lightning when a big gust tipped the whole thing over. All I could see in the top LCD screen was an empty battery symbol. Nothing else worked. I got out my new at the time 7D II and continued. I had actually considered starting off with the newer 7D, but glad I did not.

Land locked submariner, making do with what I have.

tim
Light Bringer
50,858 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Oct 31, 2017 14:40 |  #13

I'm not even really comfortable with only two cameras. Three is the point I start to feel comfortable, though I include assistant cameras in that. Also min two flashes, ideally three.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

panicatnabisco
Joined Apr 2012
san francisco, CA
Oct 31, 2017 17:10 |  #14

My 1DX never failed me, so no.

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24/1.4II | 24-70/2.8II | 24-105 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.2II | 100/2.8 IS macro | 400/2.8 IS | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8 Cinema BMD Ursa Mini 4k
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,910 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Oct 31, 2017 18:49 |  #15

Yes. I had a shutter lock up on me. Luckily it was back in the film days and I had 3 bodies available.

sponsored links

1,577 views & 3 likes for this thread
Ever HAD to use your back-up Camera?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.