Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 23 Oct 2017 (Monday) 07:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

6D II vs 5D II vs 5D III

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
Joined May 2016
Split, Croatia
Oct 23, 2017 07:50 |  #1

I am using a 70D right now and am starting to get more and more work in photography, so it's time for an upgrade soon. I would obviously like to go full frame, but I am not sure what I really want or need. I see the differences in specs, but, that doesn't mean anything to me until I actually go out and shoot with the cameras. So, what I want to know is, in your opinion, what's the better option. I don't have the budget for a Mk IV or V, and I don't care about size. I am mostly shooting portraits, landscapes, concept, and night photography. Will I be able to do what I want with a 6D without splashing cash for a 5D? Is there a significant difference between a 5D II and III besides the dual memory card slots? Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

sponsored links
gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,233 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Oct 23, 2017 08:01 |  #2

How important is AF, High ISO performance, burst shooting, dual card slots, and other features. If your shooting single images, ISO less than say 1600, center point AF shooter, there really isn't that big of a difference. Once you start challenging the camera, the differences can he huge.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 23, 2017 08:14 |  #3

I take a different tack than JJ. Sorry, but if you need AF, forget the 5D2. It has one cross-type center point that is more sensitive at f/2.8 & larger. It can only focus down to 0EV. The 5DIII & 6DII go down to -3EV, IIRC, and both have a truckload of cross-type point. Shoot both in lousy light and you'll come to the same conclusion I did: the difference between the 5D2 and the other two is quite significant.

I don't know about the 6D2, but I am happy shooting my 6Dc at ISO 12800, JPG even. 25,600 is OK if you shoot raw and want to dink with processing. I'll do it, but only in a pinch.

Tom

Transient ­ W.A.S.P.
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2016
Split, Croatia
Oct 23, 2017 08:48 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #4

I never shoot over 1600 ISO, find high speed shooting enough, and use varying focus points, generally.

Cheers,
Transient W.A.S.P.

gjl711
53,233 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Oct 23, 2017 08:54 |  #5

I think that's what I pretty much said. If you care about features or shoot in difficult conditions, the 5DIII, 6DII will be a better option. If you shoot center at reasonable ISOs and rarely use features, the 5DII 6D will be fine. IQ between the 4 are almost the same until you start pushing limits.

gjl711
53,233 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post has been edited 28 days ago by gjl711.
Oct 23, 2017 08:55 |  #6

Transient W.A.S.P. wrote in post #18478943 (external link)
I never shoot over 1600 ISO, find high speed shooting enough, and use varying focus points, generally.

Then 5DIII or 6DII. The 5DII and 6D are not know for AF flexibility.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 23, 2017 09:04 |  #7

Figure out how much you are going to need to spend on lenses, or have already spent and compare that to the cost difference in camera bodies. If ultimately you will have 7,000 bucks in lenses is the thousand dollars between a 5DIV and a 6DII going to break the bank? The stuff I get paid to shoot doesn't move, so the 6D is absolutely fine for me. But if I were shooting living breathing subjects I would almost certainly have a 5DIII or IV.

In fact my plan is to pick up a used IV maybe this spring and get into more fashion oriented photography.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 23, 2017 09:13 |  #8

5D3 Would be the best choice out of the three. Dual cards and fast auto focus will be a great tool and no buyers remorse if you had to pick one out of the three.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

3Rotor
757 posts
Joined May 2009
Oklahoma
Oct 23, 2017 09:59 |  #9

I would have to agree with lenses statement. Does OP have full frame lenses already or is there another budget to accommodate those?

JESSEMAK.COM (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 23, 2017 14:29 |  #10

Transient W.A.S.P. wrote in post #18478943 (external link)

Off center AF. I'd take the 5D2 and 6Dc off the list. Tried a 6D2 at Best Buy a few days ago. That AF system works on the 80D just fine. It is quite mooshed into the center on the 6D2. Worth a look before you buy.

gjl711 wrote in post #18478945 (external link)
I think that's what I pretty much said. If you care about features or shoot in difficult conditions, the 5DIII, 6DII will be a better option. If you shoot center at reasonable ISOs and rarely use features, the 5DII 6D will be fine. IQ between the 4 are almost the same until you start pushing limits.

Agreed. But if you're not pushing the limits somewhere, a 60D will be indistinguishable from any of them.

gjl711 wrote in post #18478949 (external link)
Then 5DIII or 6DII. The 5DII and 6D are not know for AF flexibility.

I've been using a 6D for almost 5 years now. Great camera. Oops! Great center-point only AF camera. I haven't even tried to use a peripheral point for years. And THAT is the main reason I own two bodies.

Tom

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 20 days ago by kf095.
Oct 31, 2017 09:37 |  #11

If you never shoot over ISO1600 (which is surprising for me for night photos and concerts) the best ISO1600 I even seen was from 5DC. It was next to default ISO on mine 5DC. Used all of the AF points.

I find 5DC to be better build and easier in controls over 5DMKII. But if I ever buy FF DLSR again, it will be 6D. High ISO, not so high price.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 31, 2017 09:41 |  #12

Transient W.A.S.P. wrote in post #18478901 (external link)
I am using a 70D right now and am starting to get more and more work in photography, so it's time for an upgrade soon. I would obviously like to go full frame, but I am not sure what I really want or need. I see the differences in specs, but, that doesn't mean anything to me until I actually go out and shoot with the cameras. So, what I want to know is, in your opinion, what's the better option. I don't have the budget for a Mk IV or V, and I don't care about size. I am mostly shooting portraits, landscapes, concept, and night photography. Will I be able to do what I want with a 6D without splashing cash for a 5D? Is there a significant difference between a 5D II and III besides the dual memory card slots? Thanks for the advice, guys. :)

Based on your comments, and later comments, I have to ask: why full frame? What makes it obvious that you want to go full frame?

I ask because based on what you're saying you shoot, and the ISO you limit yourself to, I'm having a hard time understanding why you need a slightly larger sensor than APS-C for what you're doing. Maybe you can explain further? It will help a lot when it comes to recommending a camera, because full frame, especially today, is no magic bullet.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

483 views & 3 likes for this thread
6D II vs 5D II vs 5D III
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.