Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 23 Oct 2017 (Monday) 12:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Flash / Speedlite advice

High ­ Desert
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Powell Butte, Or., USA
Oct 23, 2017 12:03 |  #1

Looking to improve my skill set and move into using a flash with my Nikon D7100. Obviously, the builtin flash on this camera does not really do much for you, especially in outdoor situations. So I have begun to look into flashes to use that would suffice in both on and off camera situations. I would prefer one that had radio transmit ability as line of sight does not alway sallow for best of circumstances. I am probably leaning more towards aftermarket flashes than OEM due to costs (although I have considered used Nikon SB 700 and 800). so, to those with significantly more knowledge and skill than me, what would be a good 3rd party alternative that allows for radio transmit, good GN, good to better construction, and most importantly - reliability? I have looked at and read reviews on Yongnou, Godox / Flashpoint, Altura, etc., etc. After a while, my brain goes to mush and no longer does this make sense. Additionally, if I am not going to be using a flash a lot, does it make sense to stay with AA battery use rather than Li-Ion? From what I a=have seen, looking at Amazon, cost difference on 3rd party units is about $60 - 70 USD. Warranty also seems to be across the board - anywhere from it ends when you get it to maybe a year, if buying from Adorama or OEM. Thanks for any advice offered.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 27 days ago by MalVeauX.
Oct 23, 2017 13:21 |  #2

Heya,

Flashpoint R2 TTL for Nikon and the lithium version is great. Sure, it costs more than the AA battery approach. I'd still go that way for the $30 difference. But you'll appreciate a lithium battery when popping off TTL shots that consume more. Both battery types have good shelf life. If you get it from Adorama it has their warranty and stuff. Not dealing with OEM over the pond (as in, nothing). The R2 system lets you manage it on/off camera.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,150 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 27 days ago by Wilt.
Oct 23, 2017 19:32 |  #3

One thing that is not brought up much, in the context of lithium batteries for photography -- in spite of the fact that it is openly discussed in the context of laptops -- is the fact that lithium chemistry batteries have a finite lifetime determined by the calendar even if the units are not used much! From the time a lithium battery is manufactured, its decline in capacity runs out like the sand in an hourglass.

So a key consideration is the cost of renewing lithium battery insert for units with lithium ion supplies.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 27 days ago by mmmfotografie.
Oct 24, 2017 05:26 |  #4

Lithium ion are just super and besides the limitation of five year shelf/life time of a cell. Then, the lifetime off equipment can be longer than that and will the fitting cells still be available.

The are a lot of formats and then you have also the P and S builds of the cell block.

I would like to see that we would have formats that are build up from standard cells. All non litium ion speedlites used the AA battery cells and that very.

The litium ion cells that comes the nearest to that is the 14500 format and it has 3.2Volt. These cells could be even used in speedlites if the speedlite could detect the order of the cells and change the polarity of the power user.

Normal AA is 1.5V S 1.5V S 1.5V S 1.5V makes 6V
14500 is 3.2V P 3.2V S 3.2V P 3.2V makes 6.4V
P is parallel order of cells, S is serial order of cells

The over voltage can be used to recharge the flash faster like is the case when using a 12V external power source.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,418 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 24, 2017 10:04 |  #5

I have AB VMLs which use Lithium Ion. Working nicely for 6 yrs. I used to have old vagabond which was much heavier, bigger, and I had to trickle charge it. What a pain in the butt. I like Lithium Ion stuff.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 24, 2017 10:24 |  #6

I have AA (Ni-MH) and Lithium Ion for several flashes and large portable strobes.

I'll take Lithium every time. I don't need spare batteries when I'm using lithium. And that makes all the difference.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

smaeda
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Shawnee, KS
Oct 24, 2017 12:12 |  #7

If you don't shoot with flash very often, AA is a good way to go. Keeping Li-on spares can get pricey ($50) Also if the battery fails for any reason, you can quickly replace them without having to order them. I usually shoot over 300 pops per session and never run out of power.

https://instagram.com/​shintarodesign (external link)
www.shintarodesign.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/shintarodesign (external link)
5Diii, 70-200mm f2.8 L, 35mm f2 IS, 100mm f2.8 L,

ShutterKlick
71 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Oct 24, 2017 19:49 |  #8

I didnt read what your budget was. Mine is shoestring.. hence I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com ...ewer+nikon+ttl+spee​dlight (external link)

TTL works great, but IM 99% full manual... the flash has worked great for me.

HTH,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

High ­ Desert
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Powell Butte, Or., USA
Oct 24, 2017 21:56 |  #9

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18480172 (external link)
I didnt read what your budget was. Mine is shoestring.. hence I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com ...ewer+nikon+ttl+spee​dlight (external link)

TTL works great, but IM 99% full manual... the flash has worked great for me.

HTH,
Andrew

Really don't want to go over 150 - 200. I am a hobbyist so don't need super duper last two lifetime high dollar models. That's why I was looking more at the middle of the road items like Flashpoint and Yongnou.

ShutterKlick
71 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post has been edited 16 days ago by ShutterKlick.
Nov 03, 2017 19:31 |  #10

The flash I linked you is $50 for a GREAT flash that does TTL and full manual in 1/3 stops with a zoom head. I have no idea how you can do better for less money. ;-)a

Im loving mine... If I had not bought a Godox TX and RX kit this paycheck, I would be getting a second one. In all, I am wanting 3 of these to go along with my new wireless system.. can do TTL off camera, and also control power of flashes from the camera.

Until my new flash triggers come, I have been using several Yongnou flash triggers that are only triggers... nothing else. For what
they do, they are awesome.

HTH,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

DetPenguin
32 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 04, 2017 23:10 as a reply to High Desert's post |  #11

I'm in the process of switching my lights over to Godox/Flashpoint. I'm picking up some AD200's, but I found that for $179.00, I can pick up a Godox V860ii C, which offers ettl and hss. They have the same flash for Nikon, same price, same options, and that is right in the middle of your budget. I would suggest taking a serious look at it. It's quality for a decent price. I have a Canon 600ex-rt which was hundreds of dollars more. I've never used it to it's full potential, and will probably sell it and replace it with the Godox version, just so that all of my lighting will work well together, and leave some cash in my pocket once I sell off my current lighting stuff.

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Nov 05, 2017 04:07 |  #12

Right now I'd not hesitate to recommend Godox with inbuilt receivers. Whilst you might be able to save a few $$ buying the cheapest flashes and then adding receivers, the convenience of carrying less kit and buying and maintaining fewer batteries.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

DetPenguin
32 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 05, 2017 13:06 |  #13

Phil V wrote in post #18488981 (external link)
Right now I'd not hesitate to recommend Godox with inbuilt receivers. Whilst you might be able to save a few $$ buying the cheapest flashes and then adding receivers, the convenience of carrying less kit and buying and maintaining fewer batteries.

My thoughts exactly. Right now I'm using Canon with and without yn triggers, Phottix and Alien Bees. It will be nice to have just one system.

sponsored links

3,216 views & 2 likes for this thread
Flash / Speedlite advice
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.