Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 23 Oct 2017 (Monday) 13:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ID MKIV sold but now there is an issue

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,544 posts
Joined May 2007
Sydney Australia
Oct 23, 2017 13:41 |  #1

I sold my fully functional 1D MKIV to a guy on Ebay ..

Fully functional and just had it serviced.

Two days later he emails me and claims that something has come loose he thinks the prism head has come off.

If true is this an expensive fix ?

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/external link

sponsored links
Hokie ­ Jim
93 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Hillsborough, NC
Oct 23, 2017 14:01 |  #2

Regardless of if it is or not, it's up to him to document shipping damage on arrival. If you have proof that someone has gone through it before shipping and that it wasn't defective, it's going to be a pretty far stretch to try to get you on the hook for shipping damages.

The machine does not isolate man from the great problems of nature but plunges him more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint Exupéry
Canon 6D | 16-35 f/4L IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EXII | Gitzo 1410MK2/Really Right Stuff BH-55 | Think Tank Urban Disguise 60

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,622 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post has been edited 27 days ago by Chet.
Oct 23, 2017 14:33 |  #3

He probably dropped it. EBay will probably side with him and make you refund his money. Good luck.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,551 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 23, 2017 15:21 |  #4

I agree with Chet. E-Bay and PayPal necessarily side with buyers. I sold a camera on E-Bay. Buyer claimed it was defective. I had to refund his money. Until I got the camera back and could prove with photos that it was a different serial number than the one I sent to him. He dropped the case. I don't sell on E-Bay anymore.

Tom

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,134 posts
Joined Mar 2011
newYORK
Oct 23, 2017 16:13 |  #5

...i sold a 1dmkiv to a potn member, we agreed and transaction was made. i mailed him the camera, two days after, he emails me back stating that he found a better deal and was hinting that he should've waited.

after receiving the camera, he then starts to question the quality of the body - "lacking sharpness"

i sent him multiple photos during our conversations and he agreed but was finding reasons for a return because he found a better deal elsewhere.(assuming)

lesson learned, i no longer post/sell anything unless it's a face-to-face transaction.

good luck.

rooeey
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Shorty-
2,544 posts
Joined May 2007
Sydney Australia
Oct 23, 2017 17:54 as a reply to Chet's post |  #6

Paid cash pick up in person

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:

rooeey
THREAD ­ STARTER
-Shorty-
2,544 posts
Joined May 2007
Sydney Australia
Oct 23, 2017 17:56 |  #7

Thanks guys i hear you loud and clear...

This was picked up in person and tested also paid cash...

I dont want to be a dick about it though...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,222 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 23, 2017 18:56 |  #8

If it was in person, and he looked over it, and everything was functional, once the cash is exchanged and the item is transported away by the new owner, that is the end of it, in my opinion.

We had a Burmese family buy a china hutch from us on craigslist. They brought a durango, but it didn't fit inside the back. So they stuck this giant cabinet on top of the luggage rack, and tied it down with a bunch of small ropes. They had a 45 min drive back home. On the way, it falls off. Not our issue, we had the money, the cabinet was intact, and they damaged it.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Oct 23, 2017 19:24 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18479377 (external link)
If it was in person, and he looked over it, and everything was functional, once the cash is exchanged and the item is transported away by the new owner, that is the end of it, in my opinion.

That seems to be quite straightforward to me. Let the buyer satisfy themselves that the goods are as described, settle the transaction ... all done. Caveat emptor ... properly done.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 23, 2017 19:27 |  #10

Tell them to pound sand.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,567 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Oct 23, 2017 20:45 |  #11

rooeey wrote in post #18479332 (external link)
Paid cash pick up in person

Well, that saves your butt. If they file a case with eBay, just open a nonpayment case. They can’t prove they paid for it.

Chris.R
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Jul 2016
Post has been edited 26 days ago by Chris.R.
Oct 23, 2017 22:02 as a reply to moose10101's post |  #12

I don't see how you can file a non-payment case. You wouldn't have parted with the goods without payment.

Be very careful even selling buyer-collect, though ebay.
If the buyer pays with paypal he can still get his money back even if you have a paperwork to say it's "inspected". "You faked the signature".
He can claim you never posted it, and get his money back.
Cash is king of course but he can still give you lousy feedback.

You have to say you'll accept paypal - ebay rules, which also permit you to say Cash on Collection. If someone pays with Paypal, you ARE entitled to send their payment straight back and ebay WILL remove any bad feedback for that, if they complain. This happened to me.

I've also had one buyer go white and "change his mind" when I produced a UV lamp to test his banknotes, and another do likewise when hearing I was going to use it.
Yet another let me check his notes with a stupid grin on his face, which I knew perfectly well were no longer legal tender, but acceptable to pay in to a bank. (£20 Elgars). He was paying a high price for the item.

Be aware that if you cancel a sale on ebay, they can still take the commission from your account, now. Eouww!

It fell apart after a few days?? All by itself?? Sorry, too much of a coincidence. I don't believe it. Don't fall for it.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Oct 24, 2017 00:01 |  #13

It is hard to tell, of course, but it sure seems to me like the guy who bought your 1D IV is scamming you in some way. Since he met you in person and tested the camera, that should be the end of it from your end. Did you let him pay via paypal? I did that once like you.... met the guy who bought my replacement 7D2. I didn't think anything of it until someone here said: "I hope he's honest since you have no proof of delivery." I worried about it for a while but he never contacted me again. He found me through POTN.

I guess I've been fortunate. I bought both my 1D IV's on eBay...no problems. So the problem is the buyers.... there are some less than honest people out there.

As far a buying goes, it isn't that hard to check out the person or company's reputation.. or as least, eBay track record. I do always check out both Allen's Cameras in PA, Adorama and B&H before I buy something used on eBay.... I've never purchased anything from KEH but they seem to have a great reputation.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 24, 2017 03:01 |  #14

rooeey wrote in post #18479333 (external link)
This was picked up in person and tested also paid cash...

I dont want to be a dick about it though...

Caveat Emptor (buyer beware). Unless you specifically offered a warranty on the item then it is purchased as is. It was working to their satisfaction when they looked at it.... the moment they take it away you have no way of knowing what they did to it. You have no responsibility here.

Chris.R wrote in post #18479478 (external link)
I don't see how you can file a non-payment case. You wouldn't have parted with the goods without payment.

He's talking about Paypal/Ebay. If the payment happened outside paypal/ebay then they have no record of a payment being made and can't order the seller to refund. In fact they specifically warn buyers NOT to pay outside of paypal/ebay because of all the western Union wire transfer scams that occur.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,567 posts
Joined May 2010
Maryland, USA
Oct 24, 2017 06:09 |  #15

Chris.R wrote in post #18479478 (external link)

Be very careful even selling buyer-collect, though ebay.
If the buyer pays with paypal he can still get his money back even if you have a paperwork to say it's "inspected". "You faked the signature".
He can claim you never posted it, and get his money back.
Cash is king of course but he can still give you lousy feedback.

You have to say you'll accept paypal - ebay rules, which also permit you to say Cash on Collection. If someone pays with Paypal, you ARE entitled to send their payment straight back and ebay WILL remove any bad feedback for that, if they complain. This happened to me.

I've also had one buyer go white and "change his mind" when I produced a UV lamp to test his banknotes, and another do likewise when hearing I was going to use it.
Yet another let me check his notes with a stupid grin on his face, which I knew perfectly well were no longer legal tender, but acceptable to pay in to a bank. (£20 Elgars). He was paying a high price for the item.

Be aware that if you cancel a sale on ebay, they can still take the commission from your account, now. Eouww!

It fell apart after a few days?? All by itself?? Sorry, too much of a coincidence. I don't believe it. Don't fall for it.

I post #6, we were told the buyer paid cash, so they have no proof that eBay will accept. I recommend filling nonpayment ONLY if the buyer tries to force something through eBay.

sponsored links

3,267 views & 8 likes for this thread
ID MKIV sold but now there is an issue
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.