Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 24 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 17:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thinking of switching from YN to godox

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,547 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Oct 24, 2017 17:10 |  #1

I have been using the yn622 + a mix of yn/canon flashes in manual mode for the last few years. My main use is at wedding banquet halls. So far the system has been working well but there are a few problems:

- AA batteries not recycling fast enough and use up quickly (after 400-500 shots), that means I have go check battery status from time to time
- when i m using two cameras, it appears the settings get reset from time to time.. for example if i set flash A to 1/32 power, B to 1/16 power, sometimes the setting turn to 1/32 for all
- the latest yn flash with lithium batteries do not support yn622, so i m questioning if i should stay/continue to invest in this trigger system

I see the godox flash system is very popular. I like their lithium battery powered flashes. I have been looking to pick up 2 x x1t triggers, 2 x v850 and 2 x v860. However I have a few questions:

- Is the x1t trigger a transceiver? can i put a random flash on a x1t and have it controlled by another x1t?
- Can I use the same x1t trigger on both canon and panasonic m43 (in manual mode only)?
- If I use 2 cameras bodies, with a x1t trigger on each and a flash on top, can I trigger off camera flash in such a way that camera 1 wont fire the flash on camera 2?

Gearlist

sponsored links
Eric ­ Gill
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Eric Gill.
Oct 24, 2017 21:52 |  #2

The X1T is a Commander only. The receivers are built in the same enclosure, but are brand-specific (EDIT: called X1R-C, N, S etc). But, they cost about the same IIRC, so that's sort of moot.

Maybe. I've moved between Sony, Canon and Nikon successfully, but I recall either Fuji or Panasonic has a slightly different hotshoe. Anyone with Panasonic and Godox want to chime in?

An X1T isn't going to trigger anything in the hotshoe of another X1T.

And if you're using the V860II, you won't need the X1T on the camera at the same time; it has a Commander unit built in.

ShutterKlick
68 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nov 07, 2017 21:00 |  #3

Late to the thread, I just bought X1T-N and X1R-N. I could not get the receiver to communicate with my Neewer flash for proper power output.

Returned the X1R-N and got a TT600 with built in receiver.

WOW! Love it so much Im buying 2 more TT600s right away for family shots at Thanksgiving, and also the TTL version after Christmas is over to fully round out my flash collection. I *LOVE* controlling the flashes from the camera, adjusting power is SO EASY!

TT600 flash has so far been very reliable, but havent had a lot of klicks on it yet... from the reviews Ive read though, I anticipate all will be well now and the future.

HTH,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 11 days ago by Osa713.
Nov 08, 2017 00:15 |  #4

kenwood33 wrote in post #18480064 (external link)
I have been using the yn622 + a mix of yn/canon flashes in manual mode for the last few years. My main use is at wedding banquet halls. So far the system has been working well but there are a few problems:

- AA batteries not recycling fast enough and use up quickly (after 400-500 shots), that means I have go check battery status from time to time
- when i m using two cameras, it appears the settings get reset from time to time.. for example if i set flash A to 1/32 power, B to 1/16 power, sometimes the setting turn to 1/32 for all
- the latest yn flash with lithium batteries do not support yn622, so i m questioning if i should stay/continue to invest in this trigger system

I see the godox flash system is very popular. I like their lithium battery powered flashes. I have been looking to pick up 2 x x1t triggers, 2 x v850 and 2 x v860. However I have a few questions:

- Is the x1t trigger a transceiver? can i put a random flash on a x1t and have it controlled by another x1t?no
- Can I use the same x1t trigger on both canon and panasonic m43 (in manual mode only)?Only if the pin out is the same, not sure about canon and M43 pin out though
- If I use 2 cameras bodies, with a x1t trigger on each and a flash on top, can I trigger off camera flash in such a way that camera 1 wont fire the flash on camera 2?no

Don't think about it just switch, J/K. The price of godox flashes are very affordable for any budget.
Grab the correct trigger for your camera and a speed light that can receive the R2 signal and you are set.

Do not reply to spam, report it!

peeaanuut
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Nov 08, 2017 00:49 |  #5

I went from a YN 3 unit setup to an AD200 setup with one commander. Works fantastic. Still light weight, battery lasts longer, recycles faster, more power and I only have to have AA for the commander. Also gives you a bare bull head as well as a speedlight head.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/external link : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotosexternal link : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotosexternal link
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

rburgett
56 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 08, 2017 08:51 |  #6

Are the L-Ion versions of the manual R2 flashes worth twice the price of the AA version? Just curious what others think?

I already have a bunch of AA rechargeable batteries that I'm using with my YN flashes, but am thinking about making the switch. I don't want TTL, just manual flashes.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 10 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 08, 2017 08:59 |  #7

I bought the AA versions of the flashes just because I do have so many Eneloops laying around. I don't need nearly as many any more because I no longer have 5 YN622 units each using 2 each. I am using 8 less AA batteries with more light than before.

The only AA usage is for the 2 Godox flashes, and the X1C, so 10 total vs 18 before, and set up time is so much faster.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

inkista
485 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Nov 08, 2017 15:28 |  #8

kenwood33 wrote in post #18480064 (external link)
Can I use the same x1t trigger on both canon and panasonic m43 (in manual mode only)?

If you only want manual and power level control (i.e., no HSS, no TTL), then yes, you can use a -C X1T on a ยต4/3 if you put it in single-pin mode (C.Fn-01 set to on). But it would probably be better to get an X1T-O for the Panasonic, because that way, you'll get TTL and HSS.

BTW, I can use my spankin' new XPro-C on my GX-7's hotshoe without any issue as a manual-only/power control transmitter. But if I stick the same XPro-C onto the hotshoe of my Fuji X100T, it won't fire and everything goes completely fubar (took me an hour to get everything reset, but that may have been because I threw an iPhone and A1 and APP mode into the mix). So, if I want to use it on my Fuji camera, I have to tape off the non-sync pins. Because the XPro does not have a single-pin mode function. [facepalm].

rburgett wrote in post #18491716 (external link)
Are the L-Ion versions of the manual R2 flashes worth twice the price of the AA version? Just curious what others think?

I already have a bunch of AA rechargeable batteries that I'm using with my YN flashes, but am thinking about making the switch. I don't want TTL, just manual flashes.

I think whether or not the Li-ion versions are worth it really depends on how sustained your usage of flash is on a single shoot, how many speedlights you're using, and how often you have shoots. I'm a hobbyist with a light usage pattern. I drag out the OCF about two or three times a month. I rarely shoot more than a couple hundred shots at a time when I'm doing off-camera flash. And if I'm event shooting, then I'm only using one speedlight at a time. I've only ever had one portrait shoot where I had to swap batteries on three flashes (once), and that really opened my eyes as to why someone like, say, a professional event shooter doing a wedding who's shooting from morning (prep) until evening (reception) with multiple lights might really love Li-ion flashes. :)

My one shoot with one battery swap for three lights required that I have 24 AA's charged up and ready to go. Which I did. But it took a while with only two 4xAA rechargers. Doing three or four lights with two or three changes would have killed me, and at that point, having Li-ion packs with the capacity of 3 sets of 4xAAs looks a lot simpler and nicer.

When I made my move from Yongnuo to Godox, though, I realized that I only ever had that one shoot where Li-ion would have been an advantage. The rest of the time, AAs have been more than sufficient. Throwing in not just the increased speedlight cost, but also the cost of additional battery packs/chargers, and the proprietary nature of the packs (vs. being able to get alkaline AAs just about anywhere), and I got myself some TT600s and a TT685C instead of a couple of V850IIs and a V860IIC. Granted, the cost of the battery packs ($50) probably shouldn't count, since one of those packs is roughly the same as getting yourself 12 AA eneloops, but if you already have the 12 AA eneloops...

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

rburgett
56 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Nov 08, 2017 15:48 as a reply to inkista's post |  #9

Thanks. That's a great response.
I have a combination of about 24 Eneloops and Powerex batteries already, and really am not fond of the idea of a proprietary battery.
And I don't shoot for more than a few hours at a time.
Sounds like the TT600 is the solution for me at thsi point.
Thanks again.

ShutterKlick
68 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Nov 08, 2017 18:13 |  #10

I was so impressed with my TT600 on day 1, I ordered 2 more right away, along with more AA batteries and a Nitecore D4 charger.

I'd love to have the lion strobes, but can't afford it right now.

Hope this helps,
Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Nov 08, 2017 22:33 |  #11

I started with Godox and now buy the Adorama versions. I had a problem with the Godox battery and it took almost 2 months to get a replacement. Adorama has been great to me, and they are the exact same products as Godox.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

HelenOster
That's me!
4,303 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Nov 09, 2017 05:57 |  #12

ShotByTom wrote in post #18492350 (external link)
I started with Godox and now buy the Adorama versions. I had a problem with the Godox battery and it took almost 2 months to get a replacement. Adorama has been great to me, and they are the exact same products as Godox.

Delighted to hear that we served you well!

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 9 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 09, 2017 06:32 |  #13

Yes, if I buy gear online, it is almost exclusively from Canon Refurb or from Adorama. Helen just helped me out on an issue, and things went smoothly, so I strongly suggest buying the Flashpoint equivalents from Adorama too!

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Eric ­ Gill
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2016
Nov 09, 2017 10:00 |  #14

Absolutely. I, too, had a pile of eneloops and was very tired of still having to use an external battery for the performance and reliability I wanted.

Ain't going back. The V860II and V850IIs out-perform any speedlight I've ever owned (and I've still got a couple dozen), no wires or piles of batteries.

rburgett wrote in post #18491716 (external link)

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Nov 09, 2017 10:34 |  #15

ShotByTom wrote in post #18492350 (external link)

Adorama are the real MVP's, top notch customer service.

sponsored links

2,301 views & 5 likes for this thread
Thinking of switching from YN to godox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.