Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 24 Oct 2017 (Tuesday) 22:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I have a digital camera...therefore I am a wedding photographer.

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Oct 26, 2017 12:28 |  #31

OhLook wrote in post #18481552 (external link)
Maybe they don't know. It's time to mention the Dunning-Kruger effect (external link): people who lack competence at something also lack competence at evaluating how poorly they're doing at it.

Little knowledge is a dangerous thing....

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Oct 26, 2017 13:11 |  #32

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

― Charles Bukowski

Not sure of the use of the word 'stupid', but you get the gist....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,234 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 26, 2017 13:19 |  #33

If it is family doing this, I would definitely say something as you did. However if they are not open to suggestions either due to their pride or your delivery, then the next thing to do is back off and let them fail. At some point life will intervene and cause her grief, at which point she may come back to ask for advice.

There is no faster way to teach my kids to put on their knee pads as they are out riding bikes at an early age than to say it a few times, and when they ignore me, and invariably wreck their bikes skinning up their knees, it becomes a re-enforcement opportunity. Helmets are non-negotiable, but skinned knees heal and they learn.

This feels like one of those events.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Oct 26, 2017 15:52 |  #34

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18481665 (external link)
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

― Charles Bukowski

Not sure of the use of the word 'stupid', but you get the gist....

Nice!!! A Bukowski quote.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,234 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Oct 27, 2017 09:51 as a reply to post 18481956 |  #35

Being a professional slacker, I can do both at the same time! I want to be excellent at slacking off. :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Colin Glover.
Oct 27, 2017 18:43 |  #36

My first wedding was for a friends daughter and unpaid. Another novice offered to shoot it for free, and I took several shots of people arriving. Then vicar banned church photography apart from other guy. Afterwards I was asked why I wasn't shooting. I took loads of images. I had to start somewhere, so did your rellie.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
My wife wasn't keen on my photography. She's come round now she's seen my subsequent weddings, all 15. My last wedding was my first bride's sister. My wife pulled me over to one side and told me the couple didn't want ceremony shots. (I'd been darting around a lot) so I sat down. In truth my darting around embarrassed her, I think. Then the celebrant asked everyone not to take photos - except me! So I went and got a front row seat. Took loads of great shots. After ceremony I told bride what my wife had said, and she was horrified. She asked if I hadn't took any, and was relieved to find out that I had. It was my best wedding ever.

The point is, that sometimes wives are wrong, or have another reason for what they say. Yes, she's right about family arguments, but you are also right. If you cop flak and look bad for saying something, she looks bad too.

What I'd've done was to offer PP advice, so next time she does a better job. Tell her to get a backup body asao too. Her images would look a lot better and you'd have a great friend. Help her design a website, and then you never know. She might get really good. Like me, she obviously got the bug, so don't put her off

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Hoof ­ Arted
Joined Oct 2017
Hocking County, Ohio USA
Oct 28, 2017 10:03 |  #37

Who was it that said "Advice for those getting into wedding photography: If you own a handgun, get rid of it."??

Point-n-shoot-n
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Tampa, Florida
Oct 28, 2017 20:30 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #38

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Colin Glover in
./showthread.php?p=184​82702&i=i85933109
forum: Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
What I'd've done was to offer PP advice, so next time she does a better job. Tell her to get a backup body asao too. Her images would look a lot better and you'd have a great friend. Help her design a website, and then you never know. She might get really good. Like me, she obviously got the bug, so don't put her off[/QUOTE]

I never tried to put her or anybody off of getting into photography at all....just advised that she learn something about it before she tried to get into it as a profession. I have offered several times to teach her some basic PP skills but i don't think she even has a photo editing program.
Apparently i made some "political and rude" remarks in one of my previous posts and had it removed by the mods. I apologize if I stepped on peoples toes or hurt anybody's feelings.

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Nov 01, 2017 10:33 |  #39

In this case you aren't going to win so just shut up and let the person fail on their own. At some point there will be an angry bride and she will have to step up and take the heat. After that point some other family member will say something to your wife about why you aren't volunteering to teach her and it is at that time you hope that your wife tells them you attempted and she wanted zero help.

Also, I'm with those before who said that anyone willing to hire her is not someone you want to be associated with as a client anyway.

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

mikeinctown
Goldmember
1,961 posts
Joined May 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Nov 01, 2017 10:35 |  #40

Colin Glover wrote in post #18482702 (external link)
My first wedding was for a friends daughter and unpaid. Another novice offered to shoot it for free, and I took several shots of people arriving. Then vicar banned church photography apart from other guy. Afterwards I was asked why I wasn't shooting. I took loads of images. I had to start somewhere, so did your rellie.
./showthread.php?p=184​82702&i=i82236991

./showthread.php?p=184​82702&i=i85933109
My wife wasn't keen on my photography. She's come round now she's seen my subsequent weddings, all 15. My last wedding was my first bride's sister. My wife pulled me over to one side and told me the couple didn't want ceremony shots. (I'd been darting around a lot) so I sat down. In truth my darting around embarrassed her, I think. Then the celebrant asked everyone not to take photos - except me! So I went and got a front row seat. Took loads of great shots. After ceremony I told bride what my wife had said, and she was horrified. She asked if I hadn't took any, and was relieved to find out that I had. It was my best wedding ever.

The point is, that sometimes wives are wrong, or have another reason for what they say. Yes, she's right about family arguments, but you are also right. If you cop flak and look bad for saying something, she looks bad too.

What I'd've done was to offer PP advice, so next time she does a better job. Tell her to get a backup body asao too. Her images would look a lot better and you'd have a great friend. Help her design a website, and then you never know. She might get really good. Like me, she obviously got the bug, so don't put her off

In this instance you were apparently hired to do a job and unless you are specifically told by the bride herself then you follow through as you normally would. if your wife isn't the one cutting the check I would have politely told her the bride was paying you for x and unless you heard it from her you were going to do your job as contracted for. (I assume that your wife was merely a guest with you at the wedding)

Canon EOS 1D X | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM | Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C |

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Sin City, Vegas
Nov 01, 2017 11:04 |  #41

No one else to blame but the bride and groom for "hiring" a non-pro. You get what you pay for ...

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Post has been edited 18 days ago by kjonnnn.
Nov 04, 2017 12:18 as a reply to post 18480795 |  #42

If you took photos, give them to the couple. THEY will see the difference in quality and style and maybe THEY can be the one to let the other person know she is not ready. I recently had the same experience, but not with a wedding, but a church celebratory event.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 04, 2017 23:08 |  #43

Point-n-shoot-n wrote in post #18480276 (external link)
Am I wrong to try to explain to her that she needs more knowledge than just how to turn the camera on to be a wedding photographer? My wife seems to think so........Please chime in with your comments and/or experiences.

You are 100% correct and, at the same time 100% wrong. Everything you think is correct. Trying to tell someone who doesn't want to listen is a mistake - doubly so if it is family. You tried to help, it wasn't wanted. Continuing will just cause bad feeling and, when it's family, that can hang around for years. Let it go.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

aladyforty
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2005
Albany: Western Australia
Nov 05, 2017 01:25 |  #44

you are correct however I dont think there is much you can do, I shot quite a lot of weddings, never a complaint but always had two photographers and 4 cameras there. I have given it up because I find it way too tiring and the workload afterwards is huge. That said if it was my wedding Id expect the photographer to work just as hard as I did and have editing skills. I know of one very good photographer with great editing skills who at this moment is in the process of re editing a heap of photos from a wedding, apparently the photographer was absolute crap, they did not even bother to go back to him/her and get them redone they just wanted the photos fixed so have gone elsewhere to get sorted . from what Ive been told they were dreadful and will take a lot of work to fix. Lesson for future brides and grooms, ask to see a good sized portfolio

5DIII 7DII Fuji X100 Fuji X10 17-40L 135L 70-200F4ISL Tamron 150-600
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com​/photos/25426422@N00/ (external link)
Birding page (archives cant add to them, lost password) https://www.flickr.com​/photos/59111660@N08/ (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 05, 2017 17:03 |  #45

If the family member is not willing to learn photography, it will begin to show. I have been to weddings in which aunt June was taking photos or shooting video for the couple. If it's a family member, it tends to be a positive experience in that she's getting candids of the couple. I was at one wedding where the aunt looked at her pocket camera afterwards, and there was a short gasp as to whether she had recorded anything. She had forgotten to put a memory card in the camera, but luckily it had an internal memory (she wasn't even familiar with that feature of her camera). If the family member is hoping to make a career out of wedding photography, then they'll need to learn both the technical and business practices of wedding photography. Potential clients that aren't family or friends are going to want to see a professional portfolio and concrete wedding package pricing plans.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

4,034 views & 21 likes for this thread
I have a digital camera...therefore I am a wedding photographer.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.