Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 25 Oct 2017 (Wednesday) 10:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Edit as you go? Post-Processing while traveling

Mr_ipsum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Oct 29, 2017 19:45 |  #16

MalVeauX wrote in post #18481357 (external link)
Depends on your needs.

Some people need to edit and share quickly, to keep their media stream active often, like on instagram.

If you're not looking to update quickly to a feed, then enjoy your trip, don't worry about editing.

A tablet or chromebook or something small and simple with an IPS panel display is a nice, light way, to simply review photos to see what you have before moving on for example. That can be useful if you have specific goals on your trip. I know a lot use ipad minis for this (LR app?).

I take a chromebook because I am a clunky tech user and don't care for touch-tablets. And I shoot RAW+JPG. I can review the JPG's quickly just to see what I have (better than the camera LCD). But I don't try to edit on location. I have no need to update a feed or media site on a daily basis.

Very best,

Where I'm going in Costa Rica, internet access will be very limited. So regular updates on my feed won't be feasible. Maybe in the evenings, if there is a good satellite signal for the internet at the lodge.

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Mr_ipsum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Oct 29, 2017 19:50 as a reply to post 18481458 |  #17

Even if the angle of the screen in consistent, would ambient light shining on the screen cause some changed to the colors possibly, particularly if those lights shine from different angles?

RichardCervellonePhoto​graphy.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)

Nick5
Goldmember
2,903 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Oct 30, 2017 10:46 |  #18

Mr_ipsum wrote in post #18480650 (external link)
So I'm preparing for a wildlife photo trip into Costa Rica in several weeks. One of the things I keep seeing while looking for photography tips both here and on other places on the web is to bring your laptop along and edit your photos while on location. This seems like a great idea, but I wondering if there is any real advantage to doing so?

I suppose the one benefit is that you can look at your photos the same day and see if there is anything you can improve on, shutter speed, focus, etc, and then work on that the next day while you still have the opportunity to do so.

The only drawback I can see is having to carry laptop, charger, portable hard drive for photo storage and the card reader. Altogether that should be less than 5 lbs of added weight, but flying with luggage restrictions I want to leave a little room to spare.

Any thoughts?

What camera are you shooting with.
Since getting a 5D Mark III four years ago this Christmas, I record RAW to both the CF and SD cards. I now leave my old MacBook Pro at home. I then import into Lightroom to external drives upon return while on new 27" iMac Desktop. Calibrated with controlled lighting is consistent. If work must be turned in earlier, then I would bring laptop.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

scriveyn
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
SW Germany
Oct 30, 2017 11:42 |  #19

My main reason for carrying a laptop+external drive is backing up the photos (RAW+JPG from Canon 60D/80D).
Editing a few images for fun, but final editing at home.

I bought a second-hand hp laptop for the purpose, as I don't want to loose or risk damaging an expensive new one.

Downside: it is fairly heavy, low RAM
Upside: it is quite robust
Indeed this summer it fell down 5' out of my backpack onto a stone quay and from there another 2' on to the pebble beach below. I thought this was the end of it, but back at my digs I found it was still working perfectly.

Frank, also known as jazzman
C&C welcome
Image Editing OK (for reposting in the same thread)

I Jazz

Mr_ipsum
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2012
Yonkers, NY
Post has been edited 18 days ago by Mr_ipsum.
Oct 30, 2017 17:40 |  #20

Nick5 wrote in post #18484640 (external link)
What camera are you shooting with.
Since getting a 5D Mark III four years ago this Christmas, I record RAW to both the CF and SD cards. I now leave my old MacBook Pro at home. I then import into Lightroom to external drives upon return while on new 27" iMac Desktop. Calibrated with controlled lighting is consistent. If work must be turned in earlier, then I would bring laptop.

I'll be bringing both my 7D Mark II and my 5D Mark III, I suspect the 7D Mark II will get the most use.

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 18 days ago by digital paradise.
Oct 30, 2017 18:30 |  #21

So did my 7D2. 90% of the work load. First shot in Palo Verde park on a boat cruise. Second outside the condo we stayed at.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

1,707 views & 3 likes for this thread
Edit as you go? Post-Processing while traveling
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.