Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 27 Oct 2017 (Friday) 21:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Grainy Photos in Long Exposure

Steve ­ Sanchez ­ Photography
119 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 27, 2017 21:52 |  #1

Can someone tell me why my photos look grainy when I'm shooting long exposures?, I'm shooting at 100 ISO
Thanks
Steve

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 27, 2017 21:57 |  #2

Can you post examples?

1:1 examples help a lot.

When you expose for a long period of time, you are heating up the sensor significantly and that heat creates a lot of random noise, even at base ISO. Older sensors will be noiser in general too. And sensors that have seen a lot of long exposure or lots of video use will also tend to show quite a bit of noise over time (eventually hot pixels develop, etc too).

Your camera has long exposure noise reduction (LENR) as an option for this very purpose. You may want to start using it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Oct 27, 2017 22:27 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

Just so you know, the long exposure noise reduction takes a second "image" that is equal in length to the original, so be prepared to wait in between shots.

THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 27, 2017 22:31 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #4

Thank you so much for explain this to me, i didn't know exactly what was going on, i did switch ON the LENR, I'm hoping this would help me out, i do have an older canon 7D and i can't afford a new camera at the moment...thanks again!
Steve

THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 27, 2017 22:34 as a reply to Pigpen101's post |  #5

No way, are you serious? so for every time i take a shot, the camera is going to take another picture too?
Steve

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Oct 28, 2017 06:31 |  #6

Steve Sanchez Photography wrote in post #18482825 (external link)
Thank you so much for explain this to me, i didn't know exactly what was going on, i did switch ON the LENR, I'm hoping this would help me out, i do have an older canon 7D and i can't afford a new camera at the moment...thanks again!
Steve

LENR will work very well for your purpose.

When using it, after you expose, LENR will expose a 2nd image for the same amount of time (so a 30 second exposure will take 60 seconds total, etc). You don't have to do anything special. But it takes care of pattern noise very nicely. You will still get some random noise, but it won't be profound unless you severely underexpose and push exposure/shadows in post.

Some sensors are noisier than others. My 7D was noisy at ISO 100 even in normal, well exposed images. One of my 5Dc's is super noisy for long exposure.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 28, 2017 06:53 |  #7

Just for clarity here.

LENR, does not really take another picture, it leaves the shutter closed while taking a "black" exposure that is used to subtract out the sensor noise present in the original exposure/photo.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 31, 2017 23:41 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #8

Oh ok thank you for explaining that.
Steve

THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Oct 31, 2017 23:42 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #9

I’m shooting a 7D but I don’t see noise in a normal exposure at 100 iso.

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Nov 01, 2017 17:04 |  #10

Steve Sanchez Photography wrote in post #18485919 (external link)
I’m shooting a 7D but I don’t see noise in a normal exposure at 100 iso.

Because the "noise" you're seeing is not ISO noise, most likely it's hot pixels.

The longer the exposure the more the sensor heats up causing hot pixels. So it's not actual noise that you're seeing it's just hot pixels.

The long exposure noise reduction takes a second exposure, a black exposure, and compaires the hot pixels from that shot to the hot pixels of the actual photo to get rid of them. The down side is your exposure times are basically doubled with long exposure noise reduction.

The longer the exposure the more likely you are to get "long exposure noise". Long exposure noise can even get wore then ISO noise so it might be better to up your ISO to lower exposure times if you can. Obviously that will depend greatly on what you're shooting and the effect you're going for.

THREAD ­ STARTER
119 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Nov 03, 2017 09:32 |  #11

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Here is an image i took last night with LENR ON, what do you guys think?
Thanks
Steve

Numenorean
Goldmember
4,991 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Nov 16, 2017 17:09 |  #12

That's too small of an image to see much noise, but it's a 20 second exposure. The longer you expose, the more noise you will get from the sensor just being on that long. It's not ISO noise - it's caused by the sensor heating up. This is where the long exposure noise reduction helps because it takes another shot to map out those same hot pixels and reduce the amount of noise.

Gear List

sponsored links

353 views & 6 likes for this thread
Grainy Photos in Long Exposure
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.