Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 28 Oct 2017 (Saturday) 01:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best B&W Protection (Clear) Filter?

fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,590 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 28, 2017 01:32 |  #1

Hi all,

Can someone please be kind enough to link me the the Best B&W Protection (Clear) Filter that B&H sell? There's a few different types.

Appreciate it!

Jim
f o t o w o r xexternal link

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 28, 2017 01:38 |  #2

fotoworx wrote in post #18482912 (external link)
Hi all,

Can someone please be kind enough to link me the the Best B&W Protection (Clear) Filter that B&H sell? There's a few different types.

Appreciate it!

You already own the best protection filter available.

Tom

fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,590 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Oct 28, 2017 19:14 |  #3

Bassat wrote in post #18482918 (external link)
You already own the best protection filter available.

Its not stopping salt spray very well.

Jim
f o t o w o r xexternal link

Bassat
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 28, 2017 21:20 |  #4

Oh, my bad. Sorry. I made the usual assumption that you were just looking for run-of-the-mill 'protection' filters. When I've actually needed to protect a lens from something, I've had good luck with Tiffen UV filters. Inexpensive, and highly transmissive across the visible spectrum. If you are going to be exposing it to bad stuff, don't spend a ton of money.

Tom

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Oct 29, 2017 10:22 |  #5

Here you go: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...pe_39|clear&N=40267​28358& (external link)

Just choose the right one based on your lens' diameter. The best ones are from the Nano series (they have a coating that makes them easier to clean and that makes water deposit on the filter's surface in droplets, rather than smears). If your lens is a wide angle, you might need to choose one of the slim filters.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Oct 29, 2017 10:30 |  #6

Here's a bit of info about B+W filters...

B+W filters are available in two main types:
1. Professional F-Pro type: these have either the basic E coating or the multi layer MRC coating (note, no nano).
2. Premium type XS-Pro type: these all have the multi layer MRC nano coating. They also have a thinner ring height than the F-Pro to reduce vignetting when using wide angle lenses.

The filter coatings can be thought of as good, better, best (well, maybe)...
E, MRC, MRC nano.
E is the basic filter coating. The MRC coating transmits more light to the lens and reflects less light off the filter (this is a good thing). MRC nano has the additional benefit of being water and dirt repellent, making the filter easier to clean.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,444 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 29, 2017 12:32 |  #7

If B&H is out of stock on any particular size "nano" Adorama also carries them at virtually identical prices. See https://www.adorama.co​m ...o=b%26w+nano+clear+​filter (external link).

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,145 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Wilt.
Oct 29, 2017 12:46 |  #8

Bassat wrote in post #18483532 (external link)
Oh, my bad. Sorry. I made the usual assumption that you were just looking for run-of-the-mill 'protection' filters. When I've actually needed to protect a lens from something, I've had good luck with Tiffen UV filters. Inexpensive, and highly transmissive across the visible spectrum. If you are going to be exposing it to bad stuff, don't spend a ton of money.

Unfortunately the 'inexpensive' aspect of Tiffen usually comes with a price...IQ.
Tests on the web have shown repeatedly that Tiffen ranks with the 'low end version' Hoyas (single-coated or double-coated) and are very inferior to brands with multicoating for resistance to flare and lost contrast. Multicoated Hoya's and B+W filters are what you should generally get, not their bargain lines of filters.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 29, 2017 13:04 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #18483922 (external link)
Unfortunately the 'inexpensive' aspect of Tiffen usually comes with a price...IQ.
Tests on the web have shown repeatedly that Tiffen ranks with the 'low end version' Hoyas (single-coated or double-coated) and are very inferior to brands with multicoating for resistance to flare and lost contrast. Multicoated Hoya's and B+W filters are what you should generally get, not their bargain lines of filters.

I get that. How good does a filter need to be if you are shooting with it spritzed with ocean water? :)

Tom

Wilt
39,145 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by Wilt. 5 edits done in total.
Oct 29, 2017 13:29 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18483944 (external link)
I get that. How good does a filter need to be if you are shooting with it spritzed with ocean water? :)

Shooting into a setting sun, when the sun is in the frame and causing flare on its own, that is when you NEED better resistance to flare and loss of contrast.

http://www.kenandchris​tine.com ...pment-Tests/Filter-Tests/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://u.cubeupload.com/wiltonw/HoyaSHMC.jpg
multicoated

IMAGE: http://u.cubeupload.com/wiltonw/notmulticoated.jpg
Tiffen

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Bassat
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 29, 2017 13:33 |  #11

Wilt wrote in post #18483966 (external link)
Shooting into a setting sun, when the sun is in the frame and causing flare on its own, that is when you NEED better resistance to flare and loss of contrast.

http://www.kenandchris​tine.com ...pment-Tests/Filter-Tests/ (external link)

And we've come full-circle. The best resistance to flare and loss of contrast filter is none at all. No filter will improve these properties on any lens. Obviously, I don't do much of this kind of shooting. Please feel free to ignore me. Carry on.

Tom

Wilt
39,145 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 19 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 29, 2017 14:40 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18483971 (external link)
And we've come full-circle. The best resistance to flare and loss of contrast filter is none at all. No filter will improve these properties on any lens. .

generally agreed...but in a salt spray environment, the filter can add a degree of water 'sealing' especially on certain lenses, and it is far easier to unscrew a filter, spray it with distilled water from a spritzer bottle, and dry it off nice and clean with a cloth.

So it is necessary for each of us to decide, which is the lesser of two evils?!

sponsored links

1,421 views & 3 likes for this thread
Best B&W Protection (Clear) Filter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.