Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 29 Oct 2017 (Sunday) 12:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Non Cloud, standalone software complement?

Tom ­ Camilleri
808 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Long Island, NY
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Tom Camilleri.
Oct 29, 2017 12:43 |  #1

I've been using PS CS6. I have used LR4 but only a little, so I have no legacy LR catalogs. Since it seems like it will be problematic to continue with Adobe and stay desktop based rather than cloud, I am looking for alternative softwares. I mainly use DPP and Adobe camera raw to process raw files but am looking at Luminar. Previously, I had been using Extensis Portfolio but it has upgraded its niche, so I am also looking for a DAM. I will want Photoshop-like editing ability in addition to core photography needs of RAW development and DAM.

Does anyone know how Luminar's editing capabilities compare to PShop? As mentioned, I do want to stay LAN-based and am wondering if trying to stick with PS is even a viable choice. I read that Luminar itself can be used as a PS plug-in and will soon have its own DAM plug-in. If an upgradeable PS desktop app will survive, this might be a great combo. In fact, if the PS desktop app will be around and not hold back my Macs (updating OS to HS), perhaps all I need is a DAM.

Would Capture 1 be a better choice than Luminar in the above context?

Long shot, but might Photos plus AppleScript work as a DAM?

Thanks for any insights.

40D, Digital Rebel 300D; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, Speedlite 380 EX, Sekonic L758DR w/target, Manfrotto 3021 w/3030 pan-tilt head & quick release plate, POTN Strap

sponsored links
Scott ­ M
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Michigan
Oct 29, 2017 13:24 |  #2

You probably want to check out this thread, where we are currently discussing this exact topic of alternatives to the Adobe subscription model.

Photo Galleryexternal link
Gear List

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Oct 29, 2017 20:38 |  #3

Tom Camilleri wrote in post #18483920 (external link)
I've been using PS CS6. I have used LR4 but only a little, so I have no legacy LR catalogs. Since it seems like it will be problematic to continue with Adobe and stay desktop based rather than cloud, I am looking for alternative softwares.

1. Why are you looking to switch? PS CS6 and LR4 are both desktop based and if they serve your current needs then what does it matter what Adobe's other packages do?

2. Also not sure why you think it is problematic staying desktop based with the current Adobe offerings. Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are both desktop based. Only their mobile focused package Lightroom CC is cloud based - because it is designed to work with hardware like tablets and phones that don't have much storage.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Camilleri
THREAD ­ STARTER
808 posts
Joined Jan 2005
Long Island, NY
Oct 29, 2017 21:41 |  #4

Scott M wrote in post #18483961 (external link)
You probably want to check out this thread, where we are currently discussing this exact topic of alternatives to the Adobe subscription model.

Thanks for reply. Will check thread. I'm not familiar with newer versions, which were mentioned I'm most of the posts I had seen.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18484286 (external link)
1. Why are you looking to switch? PS CS6 and LR4 are both desktop based and if they serve your current needs then what does it matter what Adobe's other packages do?

Thanks for reply.

Incompatibility with OS. CS6 runs but I can't install it on Sierra system, so if I have problems I'm screwed. As for Lightroom 4, I don't know if it runs perfectly with Sierra but even if it does I don't like being stuck on an OS version. If I stay with CS6/LR4 I'll want to roll back OS.

2. Also not sure why you think it is problematic staying desktop based with the current Adobe offerings. Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are both desktop based. Only their mobile focused package Lightroom CC is cloud based - because it is designed to work with hardware like tablets and phones that don't have much storage.

I don't like the subscription model and being forced to check in. I also found Lightroom not to my liking as a asset management software.

40D, Digital Rebel 300D; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, Speedlite 380 EX, Sekonic L758DR w/target, Manfrotto 3021 w/3030 pan-tilt head & quick release plate, POTN Strap

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,551 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Oct 29, 2017 23:29 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18484286 (external link)

I gotta agree with this. I've only upgraded my LR (3 > 4 > 5 > 6) when I had to because of camera upgrades (could have avoided some of those with DNG). I'll use v6 until it doesn't work with my next camera. Then I'll re-evaluate the competition.

Tom

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post has been edited 20 days ago by digital paradise.
Oct 30, 2017 00:34 |  #6

After lots of griping I caved and got the 20 gig photo plan last Thursday. Glad I did. I downloaded and installed LR Classic and PS CC. I will not download LR CC or use the cloud. The LR install took less than 5 minutes, found my catalogue, presets and preserved my defaults. Same thing for my laptop. I kept both CS6 and LR6 just in case.

No cloud. All local storage and it is like nothing changed. PS CC is a little different. It did not pick up my actions but it was easy to copy and load them from CS6. No more DNG files.

I found out you get a free website using Portfolio so I set it up today and cancelled m Zenfolio account. I'm just using it to put up about 100 of my favourite shots. Got a Domain instantly and took a few hours to set up. Click on website below. I only have about 8 loaded so far but I'll keep at it every day. If they start to charge me I'll drop it.

You get to pick and choose what you want to download. Careful with the updates. If you click on Update All it starts to download LR CC. Sneaky Adobe ;-)a They really want you on that cloud.

This is on your computer.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 30, 2017 00:41 |  #7

If this box is checked it deletes your stand alone LR. A few weeks ago it was by checked by default and I guess people were not looking into the advanced settings. Adobe has corrected it but I'd inspect it anyway. It was unchecked by default when I downloaded Classic last Thursday. PS is not effected by this.

There is no option for CS6 and it was not deleted.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Oct 30, 2017 01:02 |  #8

digital paradise wrote in post #18484414 (external link)
If this box is checked it deletes your stand alone LR. A few weeks ago it was by checked by default and I guess people were not looking into the advanced settings. Adobe has corrected it but I'd inspect it anyway. It was unchecked by default when I downloaded Classic last Thursday. PS is not effected by this.

There is no option for CS6 and it was not deleted.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by digital paradise in
./showthread.php?p=184​84414&i=i51738639
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

I find it odd that so many people got upset by this. It is now pretty much standard that new software updates automatically removes the old. In many cases it is not possible to have two different versions of the same program running on the same computer. In that respect Adobe are pretty good, in that you can run multiple versions of most of their software. The installer also told you that it would be removing the old version of the software. In the past there has been some discontented muttering that when you did an upgrade like this that the old version wasn't automatically removed, and that Adobe were filling your drive with old versions of the software. So damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 30, 2017 01:33 |  #9

BigAl007 wrote in post #18484420 (external link)
I find it odd that so many people got upset by this. It is now pretty much standard that new software updates automatically removes the old. In many cases it is not possible to have two different versions of the same program running on the same computer. In that respect Adobe are pretty good, in that you can run multiple versions of most of their software. The installer also told you that it would be removing the old version of the software. In the past there has been some discontented muttering that when you did an upgrade like this that the old version wasn't automatically removed, and that Adobe were filling your drive with old versions of the software. So damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Alan

Well some people buy furniture in a box, put it together and then read the instructions to see what went
wrong. :-) Adobe also provided instructions on how to get it back.

This is true. Can't make everyone happy. I don't know why I kept them. If I decide to drop the plan I doubt I'll go back. By that time I'll have two cameras with the latest RAW that old stuff won't be able to read. CS6 had my actions that I copied but I could have done that before the install.

Image Editing OK

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Oct 30, 2017 01:50 |  #10

BigAl007 wrote in post #18484420 (external link)

Alan

I think the issue here is really for people that are trialing the software. If you're trialing a subscription software, I'd imagine you wouldn't want to delete your paid for, standalone software until you were certain of committing to the subscription.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 30, 2017 12:36 |  #11

Just found this out. LR6 has been renamed to LR CC 2015. I just opened it, installed the new updates and that is what it is called now.

https://www.lightroomq​ueen.com ...ightroom-cc-2015-13-6-13/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Post has been edited 18 days ago by KeithS.
Oct 31, 2017 19:28 |  #12

The only reason I am considering LR Classic CC (I have LR6 and PS6) is that there may be be a feature (Portfolio) that might allow me to replace my 'place' where I have photos online, and where I have all of my linked photos. That could save me the $70 or so that that site costs me, which might make the move to CC reasonable. I would have to pay for a webhosting service to host it (buy my own domain), and that would break the links to the hundreds of photos I have linked to from various forums. Then, I would have to select a design. With all that has come out from Adobe (I don't see any reference to Portfolio), is that still part of the LR Classic CC subscription?? I think the CC might allow for moving photos from my phone, but that would be the only reason that I would use "cloud". Not liking the change (I could go on for a few years with what I have).

digital ­ paradise
Cream of the Crop
12,082 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Oct 31, 2017 20:11 |  #13

KeithS wrote in post #18485801 (external link)
The only reason I am considering LR Classic CC (I have LR6 and PS6) is that there maybe be a feature (Portfolio) that might allow me to replace my 'place' where I have photos online, and where I have all of my linked photos. That could save me the $70 or so that that site costs me, which might make the move to CC reasonable. I would have to pay for a webhosting service to host it (buy my own domain), and that would break the links to the hundreds of photos I have linked to from various forums. Then, I would have to select a design. With all that has come out from Adobe (I don't see any reference to Portfolio), is that still part of the LR Classic CC subscription?? I think the CC might allow for moving photos from my phone, but that would be the only reason that I would use "cloud". Not liking the change (I could go on for a few years with what I have).

I have not found a way to link phots with Portfolio yet.

Image Editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 01, 2017 05:07 |  #14

You don't need to go to CC to link images to/from your mobile phone. Lr CCC will do that fine. Just install the Lr mobile app, the same one that links with the new Lr CC, and then enable Syncing in your desktop program. With Lr CCC you get auto downloads from the phone/tablet, to any chosen location in your filesystem. The big advantage over using something like Dropbox, and using a watched folder is that Lr CCC will create new dated folders, or even an existing dated folder if you have already used one. Just like the normal importer.

Uploading images though is limited to a manual collection. You also only get Smart Previews, not the full RAW. Which mostly on a device like a phone is a good idea anyway, to limit the data flow. On the device each synced collection shows up just like on the desktop. Since I use a lot of Smart Collections I would really like the ablity to sync those too.

As far as Portfolio sites go I created one, but don't use it much. I haven't looked at the code it creates, but I would expect that you would have to just copy the straight URL and work with that. Not that convienet if you are used to a system that creates links directly for you to paste when sharing online. I use Flickr for that anyway.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Lumens
370 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Mesa, AZ
Nov 01, 2017 08:20 |  #15

Tom Camilleri wrote in post #18484330 (external link)
Thanks for reply. Will check thread. I'm not familiar with newer versions, which were mentioned I'm most of the posts I had seen.

I don't like the subscription model and being forced to check in. I also found Lightroom not to my liking as a asset management software.

Agreed, We all have monthly bills we hate, we don't need monthly subscriptions to aggravate things.

I just pre-ordered Luminar 2018, should be available for download Nov 16th. I too have a serious like/hate relationship with the Lightroom catalog. I have started over just too many times. The new Asset Manager coming out with this version uses Finder/Windows Explorer. I know I am going to be MUCH MUCH happier. Also I have been using the editing/development tools for a while now and find they are just so much better than LR.

https://macphun.com/ (external link)

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

sponsored links

1,521 views & 3 likes for this thread
Non Cloud, standalone software complement?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.