Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 02 Nov 2017 (Thursday) 16:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to light this room?

Arken
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Nov 02, 2017 16:14 |  #1

I could use some advice on how best to light this room. The event in question is a quinceanera during which I will need to light the entrance, and the father and daughter will be doing two dances.

The equipment I have at hand are three flashes with radio master/remote capability, one trigger, two 9 foot stands, one flash grid, and two cameras.

The current plan for the dances is using two off camera flash, one in the back left corner, and the other above on the balcony, opposite corner of the first flash. The one on the balcony with a grid to keep the light contained to the dance floor, and the one in the back zoomed to 200 to keep as little light from spilling to the walls and tables as possible. One camera with wide angle lens using the trigger. The other camera with telephoto with the 3 flash to trigger the off camera and possibly using the flash for a touch of fill. No gels as the background light will be purple and the spots will be white. For the entrance, either I will just use the camera with flash set to bounce, or keep the the flash on the lightstand for the back someplace near to the front during the entrance and move it to the back after.

The goal for my lighting is to light them well while retaining the ambient lighting in the background and sides as much as possible. The tables will have orange lights, and their are purple lights in background while facing both the stage and the entrance/balcony.

There are spotlights on the sides but thinking they might not do that great of a job lighting the faces while they are doing their two choreographed dances, during which much of the time they will be facing the entrance/balcony, and also because during the second dance the spots will not be constant, but rather this flashing pattern (sure to cause me a headache trying to light, no doubt!).

Any other thoughts on how to tackle this?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 02, 2017 16:26 |  #2

I see what seems to be a ledge that runs around the room, couldn't you place a flash on each outcropped ledge opposite each other? As for a light on the balcony, you will probably have to run that thing at full power for the distance you want to cover, but it could fill in the center with the other two lights being closer and cross lighting that area. Just a thought, I am not a light guru at all though.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Arken
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Nov 02, 2017 16:54 |  #3

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18487141 (external link)
I see what seems to be a ledge that runs around the room, couldn't you place a flash on each outcropped ledge opposite each other? As for a light on the balcony, you will probably have to run that thing at full power for the distance you want to cover, but it could fill in the center with the other two lights being closer and cross lighting that area. Just a thought, I am not a light guru at all though.

From the photo its hard to tell, but the balcony is rather close to the dance floor, from a test I did around 1/16 with a highish ISO (around 3200) should be good. The back corner flash would be much farther, roughly twice the distance.

I hadn't thought about using the ledge, but from the preview of their dances they will spend the majority of the time either facing the back/stage area, or the front balcony area so I was thinking one at the front left and one back right (considered while facing the back) to "sandwich" them with light as it were. But maybe at the back right on the ledge could work instead on a lightstand on the stage.

Something to keep in mind, thanks!

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 21 days ago by Angmo.
Nov 02, 2017 19:19 |  #4

Id be looking at the ledges and anything I can do to get a few quantum style flashes to bounce off that ceiling and use an on camera flash almost as fill. I'd rent if I didn't already have. Just figure out your white balance from what's there. Perhaps set up a couple dedicated ones to decently illuminate where most of the action is.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 21 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 02, 2017 20:12 |  #5

How about a parabolic reflective umbrella for the light on the balcony, instead of a grid? It would concentrate more light into an area, than a grid would. A grid just absorbs stray light, the reflective umbrella would allow you to use that light.

https://www.amazon.com ...ywords=parabolic+um​brella (external link)

A few strobes like the AD200 or AD360 would be pretty handy here.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

F2Bthere
726 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Nov 03, 2017 17:24 |  #6

Testing is key.

Two corners and high is good for a big space.

I would be unlikely to use the grid and just aim the light at the dance floor to get most of it there, and zoom the flash to max length. That would give the most output (using the least battery and giving the fastest recycle time for each pop at a given light level). Only add the grid if really needed.

On-camera fill is very good. Dial it back to get the look you prefer. It will give you catchlights and fill shadows, plus enhance nearest (usually most important) subject.

https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,122 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to light this room?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.