Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 03 Nov 2017 (Friday) 11:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Good Value Monitor for Retina MacBook Pro?

bms259
424 posts
Joined Sep 2012
Post has been edited 21 days ago by bms259.
Nov 03, 2017 11:35 |  #1

I've been using a late 2013 15in Retina MacBook Pro for all my computing needs for years. I love it. There are times, especially when culling photos, when I wished for a bigger display, but overall I love it.

Well, I have developed something of a back issue, I think largely from working with horrible posture at a laptop all day for 7 years. So I'm making some ergonomic improvements at my main work station, including using an external display at more appropriate eye height.

Problem is, my display is pretty junky. I'm looking to upgrade, but the amount of information on all the ins-and-outs of display tech is a little more than I want to wade into right now.

I'm looking for a good value screen, that I can use for some photo editing, with my MBP. My budget is $300-400 or so. I have a Spyder calibration set-up I can use to calibrate the screen. I don't need anything extravagant.

Can anyone point me to some decent options? Thanks for expertise!

[EDIT: Here's the leading candidate, based on just a little research: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...765ht_27_led_screen​.html] (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 04, 2017 06:29 |  #2

Looks reasonably OK specs wise, with one exception, does your laptop have an HDMI output? I know Apple seemed to drop it quite early on in favour of Thunderbolt/mDP. If I used Mac and was looking for a monitor that was going to last me for a while I would definitely be looking for one with Thunderbolt/mDP/DP connectors. On the Mac one Thunderbolt port is usually also an mDP port too, so you can use an mDP to mDP/DP cable directly. If you don't have HDMI on the computer you will need an adapter to go from the Thunderbolt/mDP to HDMI.

I went the other way with my monitor, I got the Dell 5K display, but then I realised I can't plug a satellite (Sky) box in and watch 4K on it, since it only has DP/mDP ports, and the sky box only has HDMI out at 4K.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,460 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Nov 04, 2017 07:05 |  #3

BigAl007 wrote in post #18488244 (external link)
Looks reasonably OK specs wise, with one exception, does your laptop have an HDMI output? Alan

In addition to Alan's comments, one of the negative reviews states (I've added the bold format to points of interest)

Once I learned what the problem was, and ordered and obtained the proper cable, the monitor has worked well. HDMI cable will apparently go only to 1920x1080, and I assume that VGA won't go beyond that either. So I'm a bit stunned that BenQ sells a 2560x1440 monitor, but fails to supply the necessary cable, or even to tell you that the DVI-D cable is required and explain how DVI-D is different than a DVI cable. My experience setting up this monitor could have been much easier.

It probably is well worth your time to check the reviews and the "Q&A" section. I note there are some questions in the Q&A specific to Mac's.

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,881 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Post has been edited 19 days ago by Tony-S.
Nov 05, 2017 08:56 |  #4

The entry level late 2013 MacBook Pro supports (1) simultaneous maximum resolution up to 2560x1600 on two external displays via Thunderbolt, or (2) a single display up to 2560x1600 via Thunderbolt and a single 1080p display at up to 60 Hz, 3840x2160 at 30 Hz, or 4096x2160 at 24 Hz via HDMI. It should have two Thunderbolt 2 ports and an HDMI port

Note, for display purposes, the Thunderbolt connection is also a Mini-DisplayPort connection, so a MDP to DP or HDMI would work with the Ben-Q display and also transmit digital audio to it (but don't expect very good sound from the display).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

300 views & 0 likes for this thread
Good Value Monitor for Retina MacBook Pro?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.