Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 03 Nov 2017 (Friday) 11:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Economical Interview Recording

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Nov 15, 2017 09:22 |  #16

GESWhoPhoto wrote in post #18496777 (external link)
Alright guys! Came to a resolution!

Ended up purchasing a Zoom H5 + accessory pack (https://www.amazon.com ...a_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&​psc=1) (external link), two Blue enCore 200 mics, two 25-foot XLR cables, and a hotshoe adapter. Planning to run the line out into my D750; using that to record video, and hopefully collecting good audio via the H5 and minimizing post-processing.

This all SHOULD work smoothly; can’t wait to test it out! Worse come to worst, Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy! ߘ

Thank you ALL for the killer ideas and feedback!

That should work pretty well. Just make sure the Zoom is sending audio out through the line out even when not recording. If you may do interviews outside, then windscreens for each mic will save your life.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,570 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Nov 15, 2017 12:47 |  #17

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18497008 (external link)
That should work pretty well. Just make sure the Zoom is sending audio out through the line out even when not recording. If you may do interviews outside, then windscreens for each mic will save your life.

If I understand Scott properly, I agree.

At the beginning of the interview, start the Zoom recording first, then start the camera video recording. Keep the Zoom continuously recording audio, even if you're starting and stopping the camera in the interim. Turn off the Zoom recording only after you've finished the entire interview. Also, be sure to record a minute or so of complete silence (background noise) of the environment.

MatrixBlackRock
35 posts
Joined Aug 2017
La Belle FL USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by MatrixBlackRock.
Nov 15, 2017 18:23 |  #18

GESWhoPhoto wrote in post #18487696 (external link)
Hey, all!

In my mind, I envision using one of the DSLRs (preferably the D3400), or maybe a webcam on the PC, with two separate microphones (one for her and one for a band member), and potentially headphones, so they can tune out the surrounding noise from the concert/festival, and focus on the interview.

Anybody have some tips or suggestions?

Thank you for reading, and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :-)

V/r,
Garrett

My suggestion and I have worked a long time as a stringer for two major networks is.

Since your girl is coming out of news and hopefully knows how to do an standup interview, I would strongly suggest the following.

It's not to pricey, but not cheap and if you follow the instructions it's rugged as all heck.

Been there and done that.

SM58's for microphones, new are nice, used for half priced or less, from reputable sources on e-bay, are nicer.

A portable 4 channel battery powered mixer, figure a buck and a half new.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...4_Portable_4_Channe​l.html (external link)

Buy or have built an interface cable to connect the mixer to your DSLR, talk to B&H on how to do that.

A few 15 foot XLR cables, buy the toughest you can find.

Now remember, you and her are venturing out on your own, so branding is very important, buy some microphone flags, you want your brand in every video, it's how to develop an advertising income and set's you two aside from the pack, if you or her don't do graphics, find someone who does for your flags.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...41178?origSearch=mi​c+flag (external link)

As the videographer, buy yourself a durable light weight closed back headphone, actually buy two incase you lose one, you want to be able to jack into the mixer do an off site sound check, get your levels just right, mark the proper levels on the mixer with a permanent marker so you are right in the ball park when you go to shoot an interview.

Never forget great audio, is 90% of a great video.

Yes on-site the levels will be off, but by having a marked ball park setting, you will quickly notice a pot turned way too low or high and with the marks be able to tweak in it like a pro and real fast which counts as you are not going to be given a lot of time to fool around and no second takes.

If you don't get right in the can the first time, it's over you just lost it all, sorry go home and cry.

Now where do you store all this crap?

There is a device called a fanny pack, which is odd because it is commonly worn in front, that can hold your mixer and from there the cables can exit.

As for the rest of the gear, she can wear a backpack, hey at least you have help, I wish I did most of the time.

What I have described is a basic hit the road ENG package, if and when you two become successful, then you can add to that basic package more expensive things like wireless. lavs etc.

Any questions just ask.

Wayne

4,680 views & 8 likes for this thread
Economical Interview Recording
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.