Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 03 Nov 2017 (Friday) 18:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Question about a preferred studio space (hypothetical)

paintedlotus
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Nov 03, 2017 18:18 |  #1

All other things being more or less equal (flooring, walls, square footage, etc), and 99% of your work is fashion/beauty and portraits, both natural light and studio light, and you work at all different times of day, which would you prefer:

1. A studio with a large, 8' x 9' south or west facing window, set about 3 feet up off the floor; or
2. A studio with no window but a pretty large skylight (like, 7' x 7' or thereabouts) that is pyramid shaped (jutting out of the roof).

#1 is my current space - 525 square feet, hardwood floor, one long brick wall, one long white wall with the window at the end - and there may be an opportunity in the coming months to move into a new space that is more like #2. I'm just kind of daydreaming out loud and curious what other people would prefer. :)

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), 100mm macro, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, slightly melted Einstein, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Nov 03, 2017 18:49 |  #2

Take this with a grain of salt because I do very little studio work. I think it might be fun to play with a skylight, but I also think it might be slightly harder to control. I understand your ability to nullify or "control" ambient light with studio lighting but the standard window might just make it easier because you can easily block it. Reminds me of a friend that took an apartment with a skylight in the master bedroom. He loved it for the first month or so, then one night the full moon hit him in the face at 2 a.m.:lol:

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,418 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Nov 03, 2017 21:03 |  #3

I would care more about the length and ceiling height more than anything else. Width I can handle less say 20 feet but length I would want 30 feet minimum. Ceilings 12 feet if not higher.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,550 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 04, 2017 00:32 |  #4

I've often dreamed of my own studio space. My ideal would be about ten feet by twenty feet, perhaps a bit larger, and eight to ten foot ceilings. All four walls, and floor and ceiling would be totally textureless, non-reflective, flat black. I can make my own light. Generating darkness is much more difficult.

Tom

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,146 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Wilt.
Nov 04, 2017 00:48 |  #5

Unless you have a good way to BLOCK sun coming in thru southern or western exposure windows, I would prefer a windowless place!.
Northern exposure window would be preferred, for best ability to control it (when you do not want it!)

15' x 23' would be minimum, and needing 10-12' ceilings would be best.

• 2' wall to backdrop
  • 6' backdrop to subject
  • 1' for a single subject (nobody is totally flat!)
  • 9-10' subject to camera for good perspective
  • 4' behind camera for photographer

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by -Duck-.
Nov 04, 2017 02:05 |  #6

I have a studio with both South facing windows and a skylight and I will tell you I hate that skylight. There are times when the sun comes through just right and all you get is a slice of intense light across your work space. I have to use large panels to try and block the light or just move everything to another section of the studio. A big pain in the you know what. The windows all have shades I can easily control, the skylight I can't.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 14 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Nov 04, 2017 13:39 |  #7

Skylight sounds like a nightmare.

Of course, when shooting I usually put black out fabric over my studio windows,

That's something you might want to look into Duck. It really does block all light, and is light and easy to fold up and store.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Post has been edited 14 days ago by -Duck-.
Nov 04, 2017 14:12 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #8

I appreciate the thought, but at 14' to the ceiling for a 12'x6' skylight, it's not as easy a task as getting on a ladder to pin and unpin some plastic. :-)

I tried making a Roman shade to slide back and forth but because of the long expanse gravity takes the shade and clumps it toward the center. Like I mentioned, I deal with it with 4'x8' reflective panels that I move around or I simply find a place in the studio where there is not so much light contamination. A pain but I deal with it. That's why anyone who thinks a skylight might be a cool idea (I thought so too) I tell them of my experience.

Unitas Photoraphy (external link)Meetup (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)500px (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Nov 04, 2017 14:21 |  #9

12x6? Dang, "skylight" does not sufficiently describe the glass dome on your roof.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Nov 04, 2017 17:16 |  #10

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18488588 (external link)
12x6? Dang, "skylight" does not sufficiently describe the glass dome on your roof.

The benefits of a 1000sq ft of studio space on the third floor. I do get my exercise.

paintedlotus
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Nov 08, 2017 11:38 |  #11

Thanks everyone! Not being able to block light from a skylight is definitely one of my concerns. I can overcome that to a large extent with my strobes if necessary, plus I have several different things to place overhead to block it, but needing to do that would of course be a pain. But that said when I've worked in a place where I had natural light coming in from above, the results were ridiculously gorgeous.

Here are a couple of shots of my current space. (It's both for photography and painting and this was just after I moved in, it's more organized now.) I love it, but it's only 9'8" wide at the window end and I can *juuuust* barely make it work with seamless because of autopoles. If I didn't have those things, forget it. -?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), 100mm macro, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, slightly melted Einstein, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

paintedlotus
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Nov 08, 2017 11:39 as a reply to paintedlotus's post |  #12

and a couple more...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Website (external link)

-Duck-
Joined Apr 2016
Shelton, CT USA
Nov 09, 2017 00:46 |  #13

As an artist myself I'm taken by the paintings on the wall. I see you are influenced by traditional Chinese and Japanese art.

paintedlotus
THREAD ­ STARTER
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Nov 09, 2017 12:56 as a reply to -Duck-'s post |  #14

Thanks! And yes, very much. A bit of Indian and South East Asian influence as well.

Website (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 09, 2017 13:31 as a reply to paintedlotus's post |  #15

You've created a really very pleasant piece of space.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

sponsored links

1,504 views & 5 likes for this thread
Question about a preferred studio space (hypothetical)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.