Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 06 Nov 2017 (Monday) 13:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How to change 7D file number sequence

muscleflex
Goldmember
3,006 posts
Joined Jun 2005
UK
Nov 06, 2017 13:13 |  #1

Hi all,
I just bought a mint 7D over the weekend. Shutter count is 5075 confirmed (eosCount). However, filenames are on the 8k mark. How can I set the filenames to the same shutter actuation?
I know years ago (with my 1D MKIII and 20D), there was a way of setting the filename to something specific but I can't find any info now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

sponsored links
bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Post has been edited 12 days ago by bildeb0rg.
Nov 06, 2017 13:26 |  #2

i would start with eos utility, software on one of the discs that came with your camera. vaguely remember putting my name/email addy in my 1d mk3 with it

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,221 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 12 days ago by TeamSpeed.
Nov 06, 2017 13:36 |  #3

1) Take a picture, take the card out, and store that file on your computer, format the card in the PC.
2) Reset your file sequence counter in the menu on the camera.
3) Format your memory card in the camera.
4) Take a shot and verify the numbering has restarted accordingly.
5) Rename the file on your computer to the number you want.
6) Take the card out, put that file on the card, and put the card back in.

I believe this will reset it to what you want.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

muscleflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,006 posts
Joined Jun 2005
UK
Nov 06, 2017 16:45 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #4

GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's done it!!!
THANK YOU! :)

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 06, 2017 18:11 |  #5

Just don't insert a card with a higher number on it in the camera though, or you will have to do it all over again. I was shooting an airshow once and after swapping a card it actually rolled the file numbers over to zero. I then popped the old card back in to check a particular image on the camera. That was enough to reset the numbering, and I ended up with about 500 duplicate file names, a PIA when they all need to go in the same folder. I have to say that I now don't worry about matching the files to the camera count, just so I don't have duplicates on the same day.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Nov 07, 2017 03:28 |  #6

You have to take 10000 photos the same day to get duplicates. If you start at 9990, you can take ten pictures before it rolls over, but then it will continue with 0001. It takes another 9989 before you come back to 9990.

As a general advice, forget everything about the file name matching the shutter count. Consider the two as completely separate. That will save you a lot of trouble over the years.
If you really take more than 10000 pictures at the same event, the same day, then import the images with the folder number added to the file name. The camera will increment the folder number each time the image number rolls over. That will give you seven digits, so you can take nine million pictures the same day, before you get duplicate numbers. A camera running continuously at ten frames per second will not make one million images in 24 hours.

Anders

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Nov 07, 2017 20:07 |  #7

apersson850 wrote in post #18490589 (external link)
You have to take 10000 photos the same day to get duplicates. If you start at 9990, you can take ten pictures before it rolls over, but then it will continue with 0001. It takes another 9989 before you come back to 9990.

As a general advice, forget everything about the file name matching the shutter count. Consider the two as completely separate. That will save you a lot of trouble over the years.
If you really take more than 10000 pictures at the same event, the same day, then import the images with the folder number added to the file name. The camera will increment the folder number each time the image number rolls over. That will give you seven digits, so you can take nine million pictures the same day, before you get duplicate numbers. A camera running continuously at ten frames per second will not make one million images in 24 hours.

It's really quite easy to end up with duplicate file numbers if you use a number of smaller cards say, and when changing cards put a used one back in after a rollover. I usually shoot about 2500 shots at an airshow, using six cards. It can be real easy to put a used card back in the camera, either deliberately to chimp a particular image again, or because you grabbed the wrong one in a hurry. It only takes inserting the card into the camera, with a higher numbered file, to reset the file number count. You can then end up with a lot of duplicate file names. Yes it is mostly unlikely to happen, the numbers don't rollover that often, but it is also really easy to put a card with a very high numbered file in the camera, and bump up that file number count. Personally I don't usually look at the file number suffix when chimping, It's usually is the histogram looking OK as much as anything.

I only know about it, because I did it. Actually not sure if it were to look at an image of the screen, or because I just put a used card back in. It was still some 500 odd images with duplicate file names from a single days shooting.

It would be really useful if instead of the count being reset on insertion, it only happened if you took a shot. Because higher of next number in the camera, or next number on the card is a little less likely to cause errors.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,620 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Nov 08, 2017 09:38 |  #8

Yes, if you have to, or want to, swap cards, then you're 100% right.
When I'm shooting such large amount of pictures in a short moment I rarely bother to use RAW. Thus even a single card can hold thousands of images, and I set my camera to automatic rollover to the next card, if the first gets full. I have never filled both in one day so far.

Anders

sponsored links

929 views & 1 like for this thread
How to change 7D file number sequence
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.