Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Nov 2017 (Monday) 14:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help controlling flash with wireless trigger on

CancunManny
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 06, 2017 14:04 |  #1

I have a canon 70D and YN622C TX wireless flash controller. This weekend I found myself wanting to take some pictures using the external flash, and others without flash. With the controller attached to the camera, even if powered off, the camera in P mode assumes flash will go off.

When I would half press the shutter button I could see the "flash" icon. I tired pushing the flash button on the side of the body but it doesn't turn off the camera. Only way I could get the "flash" not to show was by taking off the controller.

I would like to think there is a way to have the controller attached, yet for me to decide when to use flash and when not to.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 14 days ago by MalVeauX.
Nov 06, 2017 14:07 |  #2

Camera menu settings, flash -> disabled (does not fire).

Or very simply, don't use P mode and use AV/TV/M.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 06, 2017 14:53 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

Hmmm ... I'm not sure it's as simple as that. With my 5Div and everything set to manual, the shutter speed is capped at 1/200 with the YN622C-TX on the hot shoe but switched off.

Yes, you can disable the flash and recover full control but that means going through the 'External Speedlite control' menu, which is pretty clunky. I have made it a little easier by placing the 'External Speedlite control' option onto my first 'My menu' tab ... so it's easier to get to. It would have been far more straightforward if Flash enable/disable were directly assignable to a button but, unless I've missed something, it isn't.

If it's an issue for the 5Div, which is hugely customisable, I'm pretty sure it will also be an issue for the 70D.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,572 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 06, 2017 14:56 |  #4

DaviSto wrote in post #18490154 (external link)
Hmmm ... I'm not sure it's as simple as that. With my 5Div and everything set to manual, the shutter speed is capped at 1/200 with the YN622C-TX on the hot shoe but switched off.

Yes, you can disable the flash and recover full control but that means going through the 'External Speedlite control' menu, which is pretty clunky. I have made it a little easier by placing the 'External Speedlite control' option onto my first 'My menu' tab ... so it's easier to get to. It would have been far more straightforward if Flash enable/disable were directly assignable to a button but, unless I've missed something, it isn't.

If it's an issue for the 5Div, which is hugely customisable, I'm pretty sure it will also be an issues for the 70D.

Oops! I think I missed the boat. Just tried this. True on my camera too. Will delete my first post.

Tom

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 06, 2017 15:00 |  #5

With the controller attached to the camera, even if powered off, the camera in P mode assumes flash will go off.

I have the YN622C-TX and I just put it on a few different Canon cameras. When I turn the 622TX off, the camera doesn't limit anything thinking a flash is involved (such as suddenly wanting to sync shutter speed, etc). I just tried it in P, AV, etc, just to see if it mattered at all and it did not matter even in P.

From your statement, it seems yours is still seeing the controller on the hotshoe as if it's turned on and active, so it thinks a flash is involved.

Are you sure your 622TX is turned off?

I'm not sure it's as simple as that. With my 5Div and everything set to manual, the shutter speed is capped at 1/200 with the YN622C-TX on the hot shoe but switched off.

I just did it with a 5D1, T4i and 1D3 with a 622TX and it did not cap the shutter speed also in M, AV, P, etc, when the 622TX is turned off.

Curious that this is happening to a 70D & 5DIV but not other cameras.

Very best,

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 06, 2017 15:08 |  #6

MalVeauX wrote in post #18490160 (external link)
I have the YN622C-TX and I just put it on a few different Canon cameras. When I turn the 622TX off, the camera doesn't limit anything thinking a flash is involved (such as suddenly wanting to sync shutter speed, etc). I just tried it in P, AV, etc, just to see if it mattered at all and it did not matter even in P.

From your statement, it seems yours is still seeing the controller on the hotshoe as if it's turned on and active, so it thinks a flash is involved.

Are you sure your 622TX is turned off?

Very best,

Well ... yes I am a hundred percent sure it is switched off. The camera and controller are sitting on the desk in front of me and I've tried it time and again. As long as 'Flash firing' is set to 'Enable' it doesn't matter whether the controller is on or off, my shutter speed is capped at 1/200 and I don't have full control.

I can, of course, shoot flash at a faster SS than 1/200 but that means leaving the controller switched on with the HSS option active.

I don't know if there is some other setting which is interfering with the functioning of my camera here. I can't think of one.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,228 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 14 days ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 06, 2017 15:09 |  #7

I just put my YN622C (not the TX) on my 5D4, and when it is on, it restricts my shutter, when it is off, it lets me change the shutter. When I go faster than 1/200, it activates the HSS icon, but that really doesn't matter because no flashes will fire. So with mine, it looks like it knows something is attached (and there is indeed a mechanical switch that the camera sees with anything attached), but doesn't restrict anything.

I don't need to change anything in the menus.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Bassat
6,572 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 06, 2017 15:17 |  #8

With TX mounted on my 6D I am limited to 1/180, on the 80D it is 1/250, whether the TX is turned on or NOT.

Tom

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 06, 2017 15:17 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18490169 (external link)
I just put my YN622C (not the TX) on my 5D4, and when it is on, it restricts my shutter, when it is off, it lets me change the shutter. When I go faster than 1/200, it activates the HSS icon, but that really doesn't matter because no flashes will fire. So with mine, it looks like it knows something is attached (and there is indeed a mechanical switch that the camera sees with anything attached), but doesn't restrict anything.

I don't need to change anything in the menus.

So the obvious thing to do was to try again with a plain old YN622C on the hot shoe instead of the TX controller. I get the same outcome as you do. Everything works fine ... if the unit is switched off, the camera is happy that there is not a flash on the camera and I have full control.

Ergo ... it's a YN622C-TX glitch.

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 14 days ago by DaviSto.
Nov 06, 2017 15:19 |  #10

... which Bassat's experience seems to confirm ...

Bassat
6,572 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Nov 06, 2017 15:21 |  #11

Just tried this again with 622c (not TX). Both cameras work as expected (full shutter speed range) with the 622 attached and OFF. Tried the TX again, and this time it does NOT restrict shutter speed when OFF. Something weird is going on here.

Tom

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 06, 2017 15:24 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18490184 (external link)
Just tried this again with 622c (not TX). Both cameras work as expected (full shutter speed range) with the 622 attached and OFF. Tried the TX again, and this time it does NOT restrict shutter speed when OFF. Something weird is going on here.

Check whether your camera set flash to disabled when the 622c was switched off.

It is all very weird, I agree.

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 06, 2017 15:48 |  #13

I was able to finally make it happen too, on several cameras.

When mounted, already off, it didn't change anything or limit anything.
When mounted, then turned on, turned off, turned on, turned off, back and forth, it "remembered" that the TX controller was there and limited the shutter.

This only occured with the 622TX, not the normal 622. The 622 (non-TX) doesn't limit the shutter when off.

Very best,

CancunManny
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 06, 2017 16:03 |  #14

Thanks for the feedback. When I was "playing" with my settings there was lots going on, so I didn't want to put in many details that I wasn't sure of. It seemed at times it would work, others it wouldn't. Seems MalVeauX did much more detailed tests, and noticed if attached while off, it works fine, but once you turn it on and off again it acts as if the flash is active.

So seems going into the camera menu and putting "flash" to disable would be the only way to take a picture with no flash but with the transmitter attached?

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 06, 2017 16:06 |  #15

CancunManny wrote in post #18490226 (external link)
Thanks for the feedback. When I was "playing" with my settings there was lots going on, so I didn't want to put in many details that I wasn't sure of. It seemed at times it would work, others it wouldn't. Seems MalVeauX did much more detailed tests, and noticed if attached while off, it works fine, but once you turn it on and off again it acts as if the flash is active.

So seems going into the camera menu and putting "flash" to disable would be the only way to take a picture with no flash but with the transmitter attached?

It seems so ... but it would be almost as easy just to take the controller off the camera and put it in your pocket.

sponsored links

718 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help controlling flash with wireless trigger on
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.