Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 06 Nov 2017 (Monday) 17:03
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Typical Portrait

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 06, 2017 17:03 |  #1

Critique, please.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

sponsored links
Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Nov 07, 2017 09:23 |  #2

icor1031 wrote in post #18490267 (external link)
Critique, please.
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by icor1031 in
./showthread.php?p=184​90267&i=i132237314
forum: Critique Corner

Wonderful photo!

The light is coming from the perfect height and angle. She is standing at a good angle to the camera. I love the placement of her right hand lower on to her hip. I love the light fall off on her legs. That touch of back light on her left shoulder is perfect. Colors,tones and exposure are perfect.

The only slight little nit picks, but not certainly not deal breakers i would say are the tag in her shirt just above her left hand/belt loop.
I do wish her left hand were not flat on to the camera. That can be a tough hand to place to avoid mirroring. Left thumb in belt loop at her pants button may have worked. Like i say those are nit picks, i love the image!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 07, 2017 09:37 |  #3

Looks great in all ways to me. Good lighting. Good pose. Good micro-expression captured.

My only nit-pick would be the choice to include the lower half of the body at all, versus just cropping this to a nice off-center bust.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 07, 2017 09:57 |  #4

Micro5797 wrote in post #18490730 (external link)
Wonderful photo!

slight little nit pick [.....] the tag in her shirt

I hate clothes labels/tags. Always in the way and sometimes real 'scratchy'. And they often mess up photographs.

I hunt them down with a vengeance, scissors in hand. It's not hard to figure how to wash/clean stuff without those instructions in five languages attached.

Death to all labels!

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 07, 2017 12:57 |  #5

Thanks for the advice!

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

HodjPodj
44 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 07, 2017 13:08 |  #6

I really like this photo and a tag does not bother me. The only thing I see is the lighting on the right (left in photo) is perfect but I feel the lighting on the left (right in picture) should have been raised up a bit and also a bit more behind the subject as the hair gets a bit dark at the top. I think this would also get rid of the reflection on the left shoulder as well which is a bit distracting to me. I may be way off here as I am new to this but to me it didn't really add to the picture since her hair is covering that whole side of her face. Maybe brighten it a half stop or less to bring out the hair at the top.

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6d, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, and saving for Canon EF 100-400mm IS ii, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Nov 11, 2017 20:18 |  #7

HodjPodj wrote in post #18490976 (external link)
I really like this photo and a tag does not bother me. The only thing I see is the lighting on the right (left in photo) is perfect but I feel the lighting on the left (right in picture) should have been raised up a bit and also a bit more behind the subject as the hair gets a bit dark at the top. I think this would also get rid of the reflection on the left shoulder as well which is a bit distracting to me. I may be way off here as I am new to this but to me it didn't really add to the picture since her hair is covering that whole side of her face. Maybe brighten it a half stop or less to bring out the hair at the top.

I wish I could! $25 lights with no way to point them *down.*

I love advice, even if I can't achieve it yet. :)

sponsored links

306 views & 3 likes for this thread
Typical Portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.