Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 07 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 21:00
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Ideas for workflow to make photos immediately available....

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,498 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Nov 07, 2017 21:00 |  #1

Hey guys....got a question that hopefully someone can help me out with. I've been hired to photograph an event next week for a large political organization (although this particular event will be rather small and only attended by the leadership). They just found out that someone from the national stage will be there to attend and speak. Considering this new revelation, they (and the speaker) want photos available in as close to real time real as possible. The closest I've come to this in the past is shooting and uploading immediately afterwards for press releases....but that won't be fast enough in this case. I'll be shooting with 5DIII's. So, what would be the most effective way to make this happen? Some of my thoughts.....could I use a wi-fi adapter type card to wirelessly transfer the photos to my laptop? If so, would I need someone manning the laptop to organize and upload or could I set it up so that the photos would automatically transfer into something such as a dropbox folder and be immediately available? Are the wi-fi cards reliable and what is their range...how close would I need to be to the laptop to get a reliable transfer? Another option would be to have an assistant swapping and downloading cards with me every 5 minutes or so.....that would be easy and reliable but, potentially not as fast and could cause disruption at times getting someone in and out to my position frequently. All thoughts, advice and ideas welcome. Thanks!

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Nov 08, 2017 02:51 |  #2

Yes, wireless adapter from 5DIII to laptop manned by someone capable of pulling the images into LR or whatever to crop and make any necessary tweaks and then post. Or you could swap cards every 15 mins so he can do a card reader import.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,239 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 08, 2017 05:56 |  #3

You can use an Mr3040 router and flash a rom onto it from Dslrcontroller, then have the laptop attached to it via wifi to pull images. However, that would be clunky if you are handholding the camera. I would suggest a laptop with card reader, and you swap cards every 10 min or so.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been edited 13 days ago by kf095.
Nov 09, 2017 13:53 |  #4

Photos will be instantly available by the takers with mobile phones and tweet, FB upload within few seconds.
And people who wants news to be instant are watching it this way.

If you want to beat it with your rig, it is IT task for getting images uploaded quickly to where they supposed to be viewed after they are sent to the access point via Wi-Fi on your rig.

And it might be also the extra task to beat unedited, instant mobile phone pictures, which I'm often finding hard :).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

jra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,498 posts
Joined Oct 2005
Ohio
Nov 09, 2017 14:49 |  #5

Thanks for the suggestions guys! After weighing the options, I think I'm going to keep it simple and nearly foolproof by card swapping and uploading.

521 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ideas for workflow to make photos immediately available....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.