Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 07 Nov 2017 (Tuesday) 21:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Which tablet?

KatManDEW
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Nov 07, 2017 21:15 |  #1

I want to get a tablet for my partner for Christmas. We do mostly photography, but she does lots of digital art and she used to be a great sketch artist with paper and pencil.

I just want a graphics tablet, not a tablet computer. Any recommendations. Wacom?

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,854 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 11 days ago by davesrose. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 07, 2017 21:46 |  #2

If she'll be using Photoshop and/or paint programs, then the Wacom Intuos Pro is worth its extra price. I've got some previous ones that are the Large format (which is good if your partner does more drawing with her arm). Then I've got the medium size for stashing in a laptop bag along with a 15" laptop (the one I have is the previous model from the current one, and has the same features). It comes with several different nibs that provide soft or harder tactile give. The texture of the surface is also pretty good (newer models feel more like a pad of paper). It also has a toggle ring that you can assign things like changing brush size, and the pad supports hand gestures (so you can zoom, rotate, pan with your fingers). It also has a wireless kit included (some other lines have it as an add-on).

Wacom Intuos Pro Medium size (external link)

Cheaper Wacom Intuos:

Wacom Intous Medium (external link)

If you're on an even tighter budget, there's a knock off brand that seems to get decent reviews: Huion

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,926 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Indianapolis
Nov 08, 2017 08:29 |  #3

I recently started using the Intuos Pro Medium, and I absolutely love it! I also purchased the art pen, and like it better than the standard stylus. The art pen allows you to spin the brush in your hand to rotate the brush on your screen.

Wacom also makes a Paper Clip that lets you put paper on top of the tablet to draw on, and it transfers the drawing to the computer.

I found the Intuos Pro Large was way too big for a normal size desk, the medium is still big, but the active area of the tablet covers the screen size nicely.

You just have to decide if the Intuos Pro is $100 more, for someone just starting, it may not be worth that extra hundred bucks. The one listed above looks pretty nice.

Gear
Websiteexternal link

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Nov 09, 2017 18:29 |  #4

Thank you for the replies. The Intuos Pro Medium looks good to me. The paper clip sounds great.

Thanks again!

k9trainer
356 posts
Joined Jun 2003
Kailua Hawaii
Nov 11, 2017 02:54 as a reply to KatManDEW's post |  #5

Get an IPad Pro, 12.9

Canon 5D Mark II*BG-E6
17-40L*70-200 IS2.8 Mark II L
1.4x ll Extender*Flash 580EX II
Canon 15mm Fisheye*Canon2X II
Previously owned Canon 5D I - Canon 70-2002.8ISL- 24-105ISL

davesrose
Goldmember
2,854 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 11, 2017 09:23 as a reply to k9trainer's post |  #6

The OP specifically said he was looking for a graphics tablet: not computer tablet.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Nov 12, 2017 03:29 |  #7

I'd ask her which tablet she wanted, not some bunch of strangers on a forum...
we're all going to get is seriously wrong!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2005
Ohio
Nov 14, 2017 16:42 |  #8

joeseph wrote in post #18494463 (external link)
I'd ask her which tablet she wanted, not some bunch of strangers on a forum...
we're all going to get is seriously wrong!

She doesn't have a clue what she would like.

sponsored links

373 views & 3 likes for this thread
Which tablet?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.