Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 06:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5DSR bluetooth connect to Mac

poolshark
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2010
Nov 08, 2017 06:50 |  #1

Trying to find the best possible way to tether my 5DSR to my mac. Getting ready to shoot Santa pics for my church and rather not have the children stepping over the cables. The WiFi signal is not very good where I'll be shooting. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,857 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by davesrose. 3 edits done in total.
Nov 08, 2017 09:31 |  #2

What wifi adapter are you using to deem the signal not being good? Usually, wifi has a longer distance then bluetooth. As long as you're shooting in the same room, I would think the signal from wifi adapter would be adequate. The one Canon recommends for the 5DSr is their W-E1 SD card adapter. I'm not aware of bluetooth adapters or tethering software for bluetooth. To get full functionality, you'd still need to shoot with a USB3 cable.

3rd party wifi tether:

Camranger (external link)

Canon W-E1 review (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

poolshark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2010
Nov 08, 2017 11:58 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #3

Thanks for the reply,
Maybe I'm a bit green, but does the W-E1 SD create it's own Hotspot? All I'm trying to do is transfer the images to the Mac and then print. My daughter will be approximately 20ft away and will review the pics with parents and print them from that point. I'm not trying to control camera functions yet, just transferring pics. Thanks for our help.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,857 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 12 days ago by davesrose.
Nov 08, 2017 14:39 as a reply to poolshark's post |  #4

Yes, these wifi adapters do create their own wifi hotspot (so it's independent of an area's wifi hotspots: you can even run it in an area that doesn't have any wifi). Canon does recommend having another hotspot for laptops, to be able to go on the internet and make sure software is up to date....but the transfer of photos is done by the adapter's wifi. Chances are you'll also have made sure everything works before this event. Since you want to print straight out of camera, the W-E1 is a better value: it will be able to send the full res jpeg to the EOS utility software (and from there, your daughter can print). The main downside against this is that it takes up your SD slot and doesn't provide memory (so you have to save images to a CF card). 3rd party companies like Mobi and Eye-Fi offer SD wifi cards with memory. Camranger and Case Remote use the USB connection (and can offer some more features for remote shooting). IMO, if you're looking for downloading jpegs from your camera, the SD wifi cards should be fine.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

poolshark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2010
Nov 08, 2017 14:57 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #5

Thank you,
I just ordered the WiFi adapter and I'll give it a try. Thanks again for you help.

224 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DSR bluetooth connect to Mac
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.