Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 11:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

16-35 or 24-105 for indoor family photos?

LJ3Jim
Joined Jan 2012
Pacific Northwest
Nov 08, 2017 11:52 |  #1

I don't take people shots. But this weekend my mom will be visited by all of her kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids. Mom's health is pretty frail (she's 91), and it seems like I should document the occasion. I'll have the 5D4, 430 EX II, and I'd like to take just one lens. Which would you suggest?

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Nov 08, 2017 12:22 |  #2

If it were me, I'd use 16-35. But I really enjoy Ultrawide because you can get everyone in there. And simply embrace the lovely distortion. But inside? You'll always be hardpressed to go wider and wider. Ultrawide and a flash is my goto for indoor event portrait.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

trailblazer
Joined Dec 2007
Nov 08, 2017 12:35 |  #3

I would go with the 16-35 for indoors, especially since it may have large groups.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Nov 08, 2017 12:48 |  #4

Shooting FF, my recommendation for 'indoor family photos' is to use 28mm lens and longer FL, simply because that forces you to NOT GET TOO CLOSE (to your subjects).
Getting too close to your subject results in induced 'perspective distortion'...where the nearer objects are distorted in apparent size than objects which are only very modestly 'farther' away.
For individuals, that means risk of making your wife's closer arm appear to have a big fat bare upper arm looming in the lens, while her farther arm appears 'more normal' in size...something she would NOT be happy about!

Here is an example of exaggerated 'perspective distortion'...keep in mind that in REALITY, Raggedy Ann is the same size as Raggedy Andy, and in this photo he is only 2' farther away than Ann is. Not only is there a notable difference in perceived size between the two dolls, Ann's right hand is much larger than her left hand, even though there is only 1' difference distance to the lens.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Principles/InducedPerspectiveDistortion_zpsghwc0i3p.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 13 days ago by DaviSto.
Nov 08, 2017 13:04 |  #5

As long as the light is going to be good enough, I'd take the 24-105. That gives you the scope to shoot everything from group to head shots.

Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,108 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Nov 08, 2017 14:30 |  #6

You have a 5D4 and a speedlight, enough light is mot going to be a problem. You're FF format. You're after general shots, not trying to get particularly artsy. Without hesitation, I would shoot the 24-105.

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 08, 2017 14:36 |  #7

texkam wrote in post #18492014 (external link)
You have a 5D4 and a speedlight, enough light is mot going to be a problem. You're FF format. You're after general shots, not trying to get particularly artsy. Without hesitation, I would shoot the 24-105.

Agreed. My mother died when she was 93. She was frail and beginning to lose hold on things when she was 91 but she was still there with the rest of us and an active and engaged part of the family. Over the next couple of years, I could not have taken a shot that I would have felt comfortable with because dementia really took a toll. I hope things will be a whole lot better for your mother and your family.

But you are definitely not looking for your most artful images here ... just good memories. The 24-105 is the lens that is most likely going to deliver those.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,229 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 13 days ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Nov 08, 2017 14:54 |  #8

Break the family up into manageable pieces and use your 24-105.

We took this at 27mm on the 5D4 with a working space of barely 10'. I could have gone wider, but wanted to get rid of the windows on each side. This was 13 individuals. You could add a 3rd row with stools, but then would have to watch your aperture to enlarge that DOF. I couldn't go farther back, I would have ended up in the kitchen shooting through a window into the LR over a sink.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Families/The-Gross-Family/i-gbpzVjL/0/b9bd5ab1/L/FX8A2866-L.jpg

We then broke the family down into different units, like grandparents and their grandchildren, as an example.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Families/The-Gross-Family/i-CRjq7qM/0/0bfd88e7/L/FX8A2904a-L.jpg

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 08, 2017 15:00 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18492037 (external link)
Break the family up into manageable pieces and use your 24-105.

We took this at 27mm on the 5D4 with a working space of barely 10'. I could have gone wider, but wanted to get rid of the windows on each side. This was 13 individuals. You could add a 3rd row with stools, but then would have to shrink the aperture down to enlarge that DOF. I couldn't go farther back, I would have ended up in the kitchen shooting through a window into the LR over a sink.

We then broke the family down into different units, like grandparents and their grandchildren, as an example.

Yep ... and it looks like a few of that group will have had knee joints easily still good enough to sit on the floor in a front row to reduce the width of the group a whole lot further.

Edit: missed your point about managing shallow DoF with an extra row. Still you could have done it if you really had to.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 08, 2017 15:20 |  #10

The 24-105 offers more versatility and is good in the normal and telephoto range. But the 16-35mm has less barrel distortion in the wide angle FLs. My feeling is that if I'm going light with my DSLR, I'll still carry 3 lenses in my small shoulder bag. It can be the 16-35, 24-70, and 100mm (or sometimes I'll take the 70-200).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 08, 2017 15:28 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #11

I don't think photography is the main purpose of the get together. Nobody is going to bother at all about a little barrel distortion.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 08, 2017 15:40 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #12

I dunno: I've found especially women can be conscious if they're stretched while being at the edge of the frame at ultra-wide angles.

EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 08, 2017 15:43 |  #13

davesrose wrote in post #18492080 (external link)
I dunno: I've found especially women can be conscious if they're stretched while being at the edge of the frame at ultra-wide angles.

But you can fix it in 5 seconds in Lightroom.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 08, 2017 15:53 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #14

Not easily and not uneven distortion such as a stretched upper right forehead. If you’re using a 5D4 as your casual family camera, you can certainly also have a selection of lenses.

smugmug (external link)

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Nov 08, 2017 15:58 as a reply to davesrose's post |  #15

It's not art ... it's a family group photograph including a most important, very revered but rather elderly and frail great grandmother.

You head into that situation with a whole outfit on your shoulders and fussing and faffing over lens changes ... well, it risks looking plain disrespectful ... as if your 'hobby' is more important than the whole family being together.

Taking a good photograph is important ... taking a technically excellent photograph really, really isn't.

EDIT: I'd agree with your implied suggestion that an SL1/2 with an EF-S 18-55 IS might be even better ... but that combination wasn't on offer.

sponsored links

961 views & 7 likes for this thread
16-35 or 24-105 for indoor family photos?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.