Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews
Thread started 08 Nov 2017 (Wednesday) 14:20
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS 7D, reviewed by Mkl

TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND Mkl (showing now: Mkl)
Overall Rating7
Overall Image Quality7
Value for Money6
Must Have5
Suitability to Intended Use6
Got What I Expected5
AF Performance6
Handling and Ergonomics8
User-interface7
photo by Unbalanced
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for detailed specs and sample photos.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 7D

Mkl
Joined Nov 2017
Post has been edited 11 days ago by Mkl.
Nov 08, 2017 14:20 |  #1

After extensive use of the previous camera - Canon EOS 40D I started to look for another camera. Considering the location of buttons on the back of the camera, I choose the Canon EOS 7D body. Similar set of buttons on the back like in EOS 40D ended with the model CANON EOS 50D, the next Canon EOS 60D was completely different than CANON EOS 40/50D and it wouldn't satisfy me. I decided to wait and compare technical specifications between series XXD (EOS 40/50D) and XD series, it mean between advanced 40D/50D series and semi-professional 7D series. I compare the parameters of both of these levels and finally I chose the Canon EOS 7D. But the begins wasn't so optimistic for me if mean results of quality of photos. With use Sigma lens Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM many areas was to bright and I could basically forget about this incredible tonal range in compared to Canon EOS 40D. In result I take a longer break with use of Canon EOS 7D. I returned to this Camera after a few moths of break together with my lens Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II as a additional body for Events photography. I set EOS 7D on AV mode with use of value of f-stop: 2.8, and the final result was much better in case of use this kind of lens than Sigma lens. After make some picture portraits with this portrait lens I saw almost similar color tones range like in Canon EOS 40D and it confirmed my belief that this body of EOS 7D works well together with this lens. After some time it turned out that this body works also well with use Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. After some time I can use even Sigma lens, however much more often I have to use Exposure correction than my EOS 40D, it is strange for me. O.K., what I like in EOS 7D: 19th focus points and focus areas, fast autofocus, 8 frames per second in continuous shooting and this higher range of ISO Speed, from ISO-100 up to ISO-6400 which is really helpful for me, also easy ingerention for settings in M mode with use Q button, it is really easy. What suits me less in this camera: Shutter button and his reaction for press, in my humble opinion shutter button in this EOS 7D should works not worse than in EOS 40D, and certainly shouldn't be softer than in EOS 40D, but is softer and this is unfortunate. Color tones range, is slightly different than in EOS 40D, even if I set the same parameters in 7D in compared with 40D and in result I have to often use Exposure correction, a strange for me. Resolution of display is high and in result when I use an option zoom in after make a photo as a result quite often on the computer images aren't as sharp as they should be, but they're looks sharp on the display. An Illumination display button in situated in EOS 40D near WB button and for me it works well, why Canon engineers decided to move and placed an illuminated button near ISO button, there is no osense with this there is no ergonomy, how often potential user of EOS 7D using Illuminated button? More often it used the ISO button, so why change the location of ISO button? Why change what is proven and what works well. I don't understand it. Live view mode in Start stop button for movies in off movie mode, this is a non sense, for example, if I keep the camera in my hand on a higher level than my head use button SET like in 40D is much more comfortable for me, why to change it? I don't understand. On/Off camera swich has moved to another location at the bottom of the knob with a choice of modes (P, TV, AV, etc.), well maybe this is slightly better location for this button than in EOS 40D. Why there is create another mode B - bulb next to M - mode button, in EOS 40D in Manual Mode the next step after 30seconds of exposure is Bulb mode and for me it works, why engineers decided to create another Mode? I don't understand. Canon invited to work on a new product (7D) photographers, and I wonder why, therefore, haven't been applied already proven features from previous models? This is my review of this camera, this is a good camera, however yet some functions may have to be more refined.

Canon EOS 40D + Grip, Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM, flickr (external link)
Critiques and comments are always welcome.

HodjPodj
43 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Denver/USA
Nov 08, 2017 14:38 |  #2

I've actually been thinking about the 7D for a second camera. Great review!

Old Town Photo
Gear: Canon 6d, Canon T2i (Self modded, LPF2 removed/replaced with Baader IR Cut Filter for Astro), Canon EF 100mm f/2, Rokinon 24mm f/1.4 for Canon, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 for Canon, and saving for Canon EF 100-400mm IS ii, Gitzo GT1532 Mountaineer tripod w/Gitzo GH1382QD Ballhead.

Mkl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 08, 2017 14:44 as a reply to HodjPodj's post |  #3

Thank you for your comment. I would like to ask you, what kind of photography do you do?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,225 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Nov 08, 2017 14:50 |  #4

Nice review! In the interests of making this a bit easier to read, I have placed some strategic paragraph markers in your text. I hope this helps! :)

Mkl wrote in post #18492010 (external link)
After extensive use of the previous camera - Canon EOS 40D I started to look for another camera. Considering the location of buttons on the back of the camera, I choose the Canon EOS 7D body. Similar set of buttons on the back like in EOS 40D ended with the model CANON EOS 50D, the next Canon EOS 60D was completely different than CANON EOS 40/50D and it wouldn't satisfy me.

I decided to wait and compare technical specifications between series XXD (EOS 40/50D) and XD series, it mean between advanced 40D/50D series and semi-professional 7D series. I compare the parameters of both of these levels and finally I chose the Canon EOS 7D. But the begins wasn't so optimistic for me if mean results of quality of photos.

With use Sigma lens Sigma 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM many areas was to bright and I could basically forget about this incredible tonal range in compared to Canon EOS 40D. In result I take a longer break with use of Canon EOS 7D. I returned to this Camera after a few moths of break together with my lens Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II as a additional body for Events photography. I set EOS 7D on AV mode with use of value of f-stop: 2.8, and the final result was much better in case of use this kind of lens than Sigma lens. After make some picture portraits with this portrait lens I saw almost similar color tones range like in Canon EOS 40D and it confirmed my belief that this body of EOS 7D works well together with this lens.

After some time it turned out that this body works also well with use Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. After some time I can use even Sigma lens, however much more often I have to use Exposure correction than my EOS 40D, it is strange for me.

O.K., what I like in EOS 7D:

19th focus points and focus areas,

fast autofocus,

8 frames per second in continuous shooting and

this higher range of ISO Speed, from ISO-100 up to ISO-6400 which is really helpful for me,

also easy ingerention for settings in M mode with use Q button, it is really easy.

What suits me less in this camera:

Shutter button and his reaction for press, in my humble opinion shutter button in this EOS 7D should works not worse than in EOS 40D, and certainly shouldn't be softer than in EOS 40D, but is softer and this is unfortunate.

Color tones range, is slightly different than in EOS 40D, even if I set the same parameters in 7D in compared with 40D and in result I have to often use Exposure correction, a strange for me.

Resolution of display is high and in result when I use an option zoom in after make a photo as a result quite often on the computer images aren't as sharp as they should be, but they're looks sharp on the display.

An Illumination display button in situated in EOS 40D near WB button and for me it works well, why Canon engineers decided to move and placed an illuminated button near ISO button, there is no osense with this there is no ergonomy, how often potential user of EOS 7D using Illuminated button? More often it used the ISO button, so why change the location of ISO button? Why change what is proven and what works well. I don't understand it.

Live view mode in Start stop button for movies in off movie mode, this is a non sense, for example, if I keep the camera in my hand on a higher level than my head use button SET like in 40D is much more comfortable for me, why to change it? I don't understand.

On/Off camera swich has moved to another location at the bottom of the knob with a choice of modes (P, TV, AV, etc.), well maybe this is slightly better location for this button than in EOS 40D.

Why there is create another mode B - bulb next to M - mode button, in EOS 40D in Manual Mode the next step after 30seconds of exposure is Bulb mode and for me it works, why engineers decided to create another Mode? I don't understand.

---

Canon invited to work on a new product (7D) photographers, and I wonder why, therefore, haven't been applied already proven features from previous models? This is my review of this camera, this is a good camera, however yet some functions may have to be more refined.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Mkl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2017
Nov 08, 2017 14:52 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #5

This is great option. Thank you very much for this solution and with this proposition.

161 views & 3 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 7D, reviewed by Mkl
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.